Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Haven't seen an 8 track version, but I do remember cassette to 8 track adapters. That's funny. As you were ...
    Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look

Haven't seen an 8 track version, but I do remember cassette to 8 track adapters.
    That's funny. As you were typing that I was looking at them on ebay. I wonder how it would sound after all that transferring. My radio's on the fritz anyway, I don't think it's got much longer.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

So I found an adapter like the one Jay posted on eBay, and it says it only supports cards up to 2gb? Is that true? Or do they make others that support larger? 2gb music is like... not even 30% of my music.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The biggest card I have is 2gb, so I can't try bigger. Just buy a pack of 2gb cards and make some mixes. You can put around 500 songs on 2gb...

True, but that's something I'd have a high probability of losing.

How's the audio quality with them? Some people have also said that the thing will randomly stop a song and play it over, and that there's no shuffle. Confirmation?

I mean, it's $6 on eBay, so if it works, I'd be pleased.

Guess I need to find some 2gb cards. lol

How's the audio quality with them? Some people have also said that the thing will randomly stop a song and play it over, and that there's no shuffle.
    Quality is as good as a tape, but with no hiss because the heads are making direct contact. Mine doesn't stop randomly. There is no shuffle - it plays the files in the order you load them. Load them up "shuffled". Pressing fast forward on your tape deck selects the next song. You may have to jiggle it around a little to get the heads to line up when you put the cassette in. Mine only played out of the right channel when I first used it, but by wiggling it it came out in stereo.

I picked a seller that shipped direct from Hong Kong, and it was fast and dirt cheap. It included a 2GB card, as well!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Wow! I don't have a cassette or an 8-track - - just AM/FM. Here are some pix of the solution in my car. Got it on ebay shipped from taiwan for $20 or so. The SD card plugs in the bottom or I could plug in an i-pod (if I had one...). Tune in an unused FM station and it broadcasts on the selected frequency. It has a mini LCD screen that displays song titles, etc. Even displays pictures! There is a mini remote control, not pictured, that operates everything. There are also controls on the device but I only use the remote. All of my CD's and i-tunes (I do have i-tunes but no i-pod!) are on that SD so I can listen on long trips to all my favorite music. These pictures were taken a few minutes ago in the dark. Dave
    Dave,

I could be wrong, but isn't that black panel that makes up the lower half of your radio the door to the 8-track? I seem to remember it being that way from my aunt's '79 FWB.

Craig

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Dave,

I could be wrong, but isn't that black panel that makes up the lower half of your radio the door to the 8-track? I seem to remember it being that way from my aunt's '79 FWB.

Craig
    Hey Craig,

You're getting me excited - I love 8-tracks! My car only has the standard AM/FM stereo - no tape player.

Dave

That's pretty good Jay. I think when I order mine I'll try it with my 16gb card anyway, just to see, because maybe it only says it supports 2gb because that's all they've tried it with.

Can't hurt to try anyway.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I tried to go the whole CD player, with the cassette adapter route, but it didn't work out for me. I got tired of the snake of wires running all over my passenger seat, having to hide it all in the glove box before I got out, and not being able to use the passenger door (the Walkman was plugged into the Cigar lighter on the door, because my cell phone lives in the ash tray). Finally I said "Screw it. This Cadillac was built in 1989, and when people walk by and look in the windows, I want them to know that my car never made it out of the '80's." So I replaced every one of my CD's with cassette tapes.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Smile Re: Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look

Sven, That's classic! Although in a period Cadillac some grocery store music cassette tapes may look a bit more appropriate. I added a hard wired additional cigar lighter plug-in under the dash in my car for the times I need a cell phone plug in and then my zany MP3 player stays upstairs plugged into the lighter so I can hear my favorite sounds. I have to admit if I had an 8-track or cassette player in my car I'd do it just the way you are doing it! I love car people who have fun!

I don't think I'd be able to FIND many cassettes of what I listen to. And I don't have a tape deck to like, make them. lol Boo

SedanDeVille75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 75 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    You're in luck (possibly). If you use the Make and Model selector, Cadillac returns nothing.

But just on a hunch, I clicked Chevrolet. And for some reason, CADILLAC came up under Chevrolet.

And here's a radio for 73-89's.

link

Too bad it's $300. And I've got no idea about euro radios, but at least it exists.
    vintage car radio is worth looking into, you'll have to google it i can't post a link for it, but these guys have quite a few generic radios to choose from, and it looks like they can make any of them fit if you send them the dimensions of your openings.

Custom Autosound is another choice for vintage-style radios...

75sled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe DeVille, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

This place will restore your original radio and add a USB port for you. But sit down...it was about $600

There's a place that will take your original radio and add an input jack that uses the cassette amp. They advertise on ebay, and will do the mod for only 60 bucks. I'll see if I can find their email address...

Found it: johnnguyen321@gmail.com

Ebay ID is factoryradios

Here's one of their auctions for a Cadillac cassette with an input added.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.