1988 Brougham Climate Control Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1988 Brougham Climate Control Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If there is a previous thread on this, I apologize as I am unable to find it with the search. ...
    PurtyVille '92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham

1988 Brougham Climate Control Problem

If there is a previous thread on this, I apologize as I am unable to find it with the search.

I just purchased a 1988 Brougham with 54K original miles. This is my second Cadillac, but my first RWD. Everything on it is great, but the Climate Control is not functioning correctly.

Sometimes, the buttons on the ECC will allow me to select them, and other times, they will not change. This makes me think there is an issue with the ECC computer.

When it does work, I can change the temperature, but air does not come out of the vents on the dash. However, the two vents directly under the ECC will exhaust some air (I say exhaust because it doesn't really blow). The temperature of this air DOES change with the corresponding selection on the ECC.

Also, the "Outside Temp" will display -45 degrees almost all the time.

Is there a way to hard reset the ECC computer? If not, do any of you wise gentlemen (and ladies) have any suggestions as to what to try first?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 1988 Brougham Climate Control Problem

The diagnostic trouble shooting trees in my 89 factory manual lead to the replacement of the ECC head or the programmer, for most of your issues. The air coming out of the floor vents is not electrical, but vacuum related. There is a black vacuum canister (looks like a ball) mounted on the passenger's side fire wall of the engine compartment; check to see if there is a good vacuum source to it.

For your obvious electrical problems (not being able to use the ECC or having -45 displayed all times) I would try to have the problem diagnosed before I threw a new ECC head or programmer at it. With the service information and a 12volt test light, the ECC is easy to trouble shoot. I recommend to any Cadillac owner, that they acquire the OEM factory service manual; there a few on eBay for an 88 Brougham.

Thanks. Sorry for the bump but I can't send private messages since I am noob.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree with SVEN 914. Most likely a faulty circuit board in the dash ECC control head. But should be diagnosed first. As you know the dash vents will only blow cooler air never warm, depending on what temp you set and what in car temp is. My 84 was doing that erratically and it was the ECC control head. Got one from a pick n pull yard to see if the problem changed and in fact that used part fixed it.

If I set the desired temperature to 60 degrees, does it always come out of the dash vents?

Or, since it more than likely needs to be charged, the air that comes out is hot, so it goes to the floor vents instead?

Basically, is the air flow determined by the number displayed on the ECC, or is it determined by the actual air temperature?

Where the air flow comes out is determined by the temperature sensors, both outside and inside the vehicle. If the inside temperature of the vehicle is less than what is set on the ECC, then warm air will blow from the heater vent on the floor. If the in-car temperature is greater what is set on the ECC, cold air will blow from the dash vents. The ECC uses engine vacuum to change the direction of the air. So where the air comes from has nothing to do with it's incoming temperature.

sditmer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've been dealing with my '87 Brougham RWD heating A/C issue as well. My issue stemmed from a fan that wouldn't come on, but the blower functioned in the direct-grounding test. My problem was trying to determine if the issue was the power module on the fan housing or the programmer. I did the performance steps but still no success. The ECC seemed ok as all the lights and digital readout were working fine. I was speaking with a mechanic-friend of mine who said in reference to the power module on the fan housing, "I've replaced countless numbers of these, and only a small few programmers. Have you rapped on it yet?" I laughed, but he said "try it." So I did, and darned if the fan didn't start working again! But, in trying to trouble-shoot the programmer, I messed up the vacuum lines on the INSIDE. I wrote done the colors but lost my paper. Does ANYONE have info on the vacuum lines inside the programmer? Also, one of those lines had a small metal pin blocking airflow in it that could not have come through any of the nipple orifices. Is it supposed to be in there?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

JimMLINY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham D'Elegance

Had same problem when I picked up my 88. It had sat for 3 years. A can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaning Quick Drying Formula sprayed into each button then pushing the button numerous times cleared up the contacts and it functions well since. Have to spray sometimes when some buttons are unresponsvice but it is a cheap fix.
    coodeville likes this.

C-Leb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 Brougham

im having a similar problem and would love help.
    I have an 88 brougham and the fan works great, heat is good but the colder it gets (outside)the harder of a time i have of getting the fan to turn on. Sometimes if i change the temp to 60 I can get the fan to turn on and then switch it back up to 90. But if its really cold, like today -19 then even at 60 the blower motor wont turn on....
    I have a spare climate module from the junkyard and that never sorted it out when I swapped it. I found out there is some sort of crazy complex blower resistor but its $400!!!
    Havnt been able to find one of those at the junkyard yet.
    Anyones help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

It's called a power module. It sets in the underhood housing on the drivers side of the fan motor. It controls the varible fan speeds as well as initally turning on the fan. Was used for many years on Eldo's, Seville's and rear wheel drive Cads. from about 82 thru your 88. You might try pressing the windshield defrost button rather than moving the set temperature to confrm fan operation. The defrost position by passes the varible fan speed, goes to max fan when pressed. Dont know where you live but these modules are common here in wrecking yards for about 25 to 75 dollars.

that what i thought the problem was...
    sort of a fancy blower motor resistor for old skool climate control.
    I found that napa makes one for 450$$!!!!
    Man I really hope the junkers score an old caddy this week its minus 20 today

still in need of help guys!!
    I managed to find a power module in a junkyard, had it shipped here. Still having the same problem....
    So Ive changed the controller and the power module.
    Like I said before when its warmer around 0(32) or hotter if i switch it to 60 the fan will kick on and then i ramp it up to 90.
    But today its -17(-5) outside and it wont work at all until ive driven maybe for 20 mins.
    It seems like there is something wrong with the bypass, even on defrost the motor will not turn on. Maybe something wrong with the byass circuit, can anyone tell me how the bypass works... Is it related to some sort of ac switch that might not be working right...

Really really would appreciate the help as its sooo cold!!! and I have not heat :P

Is the temperature still reading -45? If it is, then there could be an issue in either the temperature sensor or the ECC head unit.

I recently had an issue with mine, where the blower would randomly stop working; somedays it would never come on, despite any button I pressed. I ended up replacing the power-module, but that didn't really fix the issue. It turned out that the ground strap on the blower motor had come loose, and even though everything in the system was working, I wasn't getting any air.

The blower motor screws are threaded into the fiberglass of the air-box, and they can strip very easily. Any of the mounting nuts (around the edge of the blower motor) can be used to re secure the ground wire. On mine, the mounting bolts wouldn't tighten down enough to make a good ground connection, so I ended up using one of the small holes drilled into the blower motor housing; it doesn't need to thread into the fiberglass, but it needs to screw down tightly to the metal blower motor housing.

ok so im still having this problem sigh....
    checked my ground wire and all mounting bolts and everything is fine.
    Can jump the ground and fire up the motor anytime, still something in the system. Im going to try and find another ECC unit and another power module hoping that maybe the replacement ones i have are bad aswell since they are junkyard parts...
    My question cani use an ECC control unit from any year caddy...? i figured as long as they look the same it shouldn't be a problem any help would be greatly appreciated as it was -27 yesterday brrrrrrrrrrrr

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Leb
    ok so im still having this problem sigh....
    checked my ground wire and all mounting bolts and everything is fine.
    Can jump the ground and fire up the motor anytime, still something in the system. Im going to try and find another ECC unit and another power module hoping that maybe the replacement ones i have are bad aswell since they are junkyard parts...
    My question cani use an ECC control unit from any year caddy...? i figured as long as they look the same it shouldn't be a problem any help would be greatly appreciated as it was -27 yesterday brrrrrrrrrrrr
    As long as it looks exactly the same as yours (the early 80s had a different button layout), it should work. I don't recall if ones from eldorados/ sevilles will work (fitment wise) though. But ones from say, 86-89 brougham will work for sure.
    Have you checked your blower resistor pack? They seem to be a common source of annoyment on older GM vehicles.
    I'll check my FSM when I get home and see if I can figure out anything else for you.

Edit: just thought of something for your outside temp reading. Is your outside temp sensor still intact? Is it unplugged?
    It is located in the top center area behind the grille and bolts to the header panel right above the grille. IIRC, you get to it by removing the plastic piece between the header panel and radiator support.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.