1965 Deville Restoration in progress - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1965 Deville Restoration in progress in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't mind telling anybody that I HATE vinyl tops. They look nice when they are new but they will ...
    cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 1965 Deville Restoration in progress

I don't mind telling anybody that I HATE vinyl tops. They look nice when they are new but they will always disappoint you someday. My 66 Olds Ninety Eight LS had a black painted top when I got it and I always liked the look. I don't know if they came that way or not. When the vinyl top peeled off my 76 Cutlass, I sanded it and painted it and I think it looks better in my opinion. Don't feel that you HAVE to keep the vinyl top to keep it original or to please the purists. A lot of pretty roof lines get covered up with vinyl tops.

gerrysatx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville SLS 2004

Read all our comments and think about it. But remember, you're gonna live with this, so you decide what you would like best and go with it.

It'll be a beautiful car either way.

Good Luck!

Landyacht is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, i appreciate all the comments. I think I am going to paint the car without it and then drive her around and see how i like it. I can always add it later. I know the majority of you said it would be nice to keep but after talking to the body shop I found out that the only rust the car had was where the vinyl top met the body. Seems like having it on could leave opportunity for moisture to collect. we'll see. Thanks again everyone for being so active in the Thread.

Landyacht is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

still looking for an upholstery shop? I recommend getting your interior from www.smsautofabrics.com
    they have everything you need need for a complete re-do. just give them your info (year, make and model) and your interior code and they'll have it; check out their site.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

As I joined the forum one year ago, I did not see your thread until now. Your decision of fully restore your '65 is admirable, as you often know when it gets started but donīt know when it will be finished, but in the end you will have a first class unit. After these months I guess you have taken the opportunity to overhaul engine compartment. We would like to read the progress made during this time, apart from the obvious noticed in the pics.

As for the vinyl top, from the esthetic point of view, vinyl makes the car look more elegant. In addition I think this option was not very frequent for the 65 coupe (or most people has restored their 65 coupe without it), but I recognize vinyl maintenance is a real pain. This carīs lines are clean and beautiful also without vinyl.

Congrats and keep up the good work We all would love see your caddy fully restored

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.