1960 cadillac coupe deville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1960 cadillac coupe deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Sting I don't have any pics right now, only the images in my head... that I have been dreaming ...
    zpaps is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE YET

Re: 1960 cadillac coupe deville

Hey Sting

I don't have any pics right now, only the images in my head... that I have been dreaming about every night... keeping me awake!! The car was done by Gene Winfield- he even signed a picture for the last owner. It is a very cool purple-ish-silver fade. I love it, even though it is not a cherry original. There are some minor chips and scratches, and the right rear tail got a bit banged up... didnt appear to be any frame damage, but prob gonna be a little bondo. Total shame if you ask me, but I still dont see finding one in this shape for this money. 59k mileage original, and the interior is almost all original and decent. I could do without all the flame throwers and hydrolics nonsense personally.... But everything is straight and lines up, no rust work or anything fishy looking. Engine is real strong, drives great.

Whatever else you folks might tell me would be totally appreciated- don't be shy!! I would rather hear bad news then buy this bucket and find it more work than its worth. I know not to be speculating on appreciation or worrying about 'values', since most real collectors say the car is more worth what the driver thinks than anything else. That said, I am in LOVE with the 60 coupes no matter what they look like- my total dream Caddy.

Thanks again!!

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

If I was you I would aim at getting it back to completley stock condition,
    this would be just as much a challenge to me as trying to customize it.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If it is a documented Winfield car, it would be worth it to keep it modified. Even more so if there has been magazine coverage of it.

Please post a pic for us...

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Yeah, documents would be key. Or if you can get that picture and authenticate the signature on it, it would probably be worth your while.

That said, I would definitely scrap the flamethrowers, but I'd guess the hydraulics would be more of a pain to remove and redo, no?

That is really interesting. The biggest thing I was afraid of is that the paint job has the few dings and that fin that needs work. I am worried about getting it done right so's not to disturb the 'Master's' handiwork. But it is cool to know that this job is worth keeping as is vs. restoring to original. I personally like the custom look in some instances, and as mentioned before, this particular job is really sharp. When I get her home (this weekend) I will sure post some pics. The paper trail goes back to the original owner, three people back. The story is actually pretty cool, since it has always been in the same neighborhood since it originally rolled off the lot. The guy selling it now was 'allowed' to drive it for his boss 20- 30 years ago... The cool thing is, when Winfield signed it, he had remembered the car from years before!! They found him at a show, and he pulled out his book and pointed right to it!!

The documentation is pretty damned good. Wish they had pics of the work being done by him, but he still remembers it anyway... he remembered doing thier motorcycle the same color on the same day. The flame throwers are ridiculous, though they are definitely not junky or thrown together in a bad way. I just assume sell them off... But the other cool thing about the hydrolics is that the guy who owned it bought 4 wheel air shock compressor kit, still in the box. They are bolt- ons, and made for our particular model. Easy fix to get a much nicer version of what was on before.

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    If I was you I would aim at getting it back to completley stock condition,
    this would be just as much a challenge to me as trying to customize it.
    I didn't realize this was a unique winfield car,I would aim for getting it back to the winfield design.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by zpaps View Post
    Hi Craig, thanks for your response. I definitely agree with you about an original job- would prefer it for sure. I think for this particular car, I couldn't get one totally original and in this shape for this money. Is it possible to restore a car back to original after having this custom stuff already done- like the paint? (Sorry for the amateur question, but I am a total noob with this stuff).

Thanks again
    Depends what was modified. If it's just paint and interior, it's a relatively easy fix. If they started messing around with the body (chopping, decking, etc.) or the mechanicals, or adding things like air bag suspension systems or mondo sound systems, then things get trickier, and far more expensive. Unless you enjoy restoring cars for the sheet pleasure of it without regard to return on investment, you'd be well advised to buy the best original example you can afford.

Hey 77

Actually, what I was happy about was the customization on this was really limited to the paint job, some new (tackier) rims and the suspension. Nothing has been cut or messed with. The interior is missing the original radio, replaced with another lame one, but no cutting in the dash. The only other thing missing is a few pieces of original chrome, which were taken off for the paint job. If the cost justified scraping off Winfield's paint, it could be restored to original without too much trouble. All the seats, carpeting, glass- everything is original, and the motor is 59,000 young. I am most worried about the bang-job on the right rear fin- whether new paint or restoration, I am not confident it can be perfect.

Well in repainting the fender, it would be easier to repaint the car than to replicate the paintjob on it. Unless you can run across Winfield again.

At least, that's what I would think. Just whatever you do, don't do what the owner of my dad's Trans Am did. Dad had the car custom painted in '82 and spent like 10k on the paint job, it was great. The guy who bought it wrecked the car, put a new fender on it, and painted over the entire car yellow...

with a paint roller.

WOw, that is retarded. I am definitely hoping to find someone qualified enough to hook up that fin. The car comes with the paint Winfield used, so that helps (I assume). The silver fade isn't really on that part, so I am hoping it can be done to look right. I hate like hell to think there will be a little bondo in there, but what is the alternative- throw the baby out with the bathwater??

Alternative would be finding another fin/rear quarter (or whatever pieces are actually damaged; remember rust from below) and having it painted to match. Of course I bet that'd be difficult too, so you're in quite the pickle.

Can't know until we get pics! (Just doing my job lololol)

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Alternative would be finding another fin/rear quarter (or whatever pieces are actually damaged; remember rust from below) and having it painted to match. Of course I bet that'd be difficult too, so you're in quite the pickle.

Can't know until we get pics! (Just doing my job lololol)
    I found a picture of a 60 cad by winfield on google, I typed in "1960 cadillac by winfield".

The pic you found might be mine- if it is purple... If so, you can look hard at the right fin and make out the discoloration. Believe me when I say it looks at least as nice in person.

I don't see a purple one on there, but the ones I do see look sweet. When do you get to see the car next?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.