'87-'92 Cadillac Brougham first car - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '87-'92 Cadillac Brougham first car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Gas mileage is still better than my mom's '04 Pathfinder, which has a V6 and only seats 5....
    Blair is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '77 Cadillac Fleetwood

Re: '87-'92 Cadillac Brougham first car

Gas mileage is still better than my mom's '04 Pathfinder, which has a V6 and only seats 5.

I just found this. It's a beauty. It has a Cadillac engine (7.0 L) and only has 76,000 miles on it. Some repairs will be needed though, but if I can get this car looking new again and fix the small things, I could make some real money of it by selling. What do you think?

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

It says throttle body injection. I thought the only EFI system Caddy had in 77 was the multiport injection with analog ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    It says throttle body injection. I thought the only EFI system Caddy had in 77 was the multiport injection with analog ECU.
    Saw it to day. Definitely no throttle body.

It was clean, had a tiny spot of rust on the pinstripe. The under carriage was fine. Everything was pretty good except for the brakes (20% life left on the pads and rotors. Shouldn't be too expensive to fix.) I got to drive it around the parking lot. It's true, it only hows 76k miles on it, and drives like a sofa on wheels. Poor gas mileage of course. Only $1,500. Very affordable. Seems like a good deal.

Are these cars reliable, though, is the question. I read some reviews on the '77-'79 Devilles which have the same 7.0 L Cadillac and it's mostly good things from people who bought the cars from owners that were abusing them. Hear the tranny's are bullet proof (three speed ).

ReagansRollsRoyce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

One thing not often discussed is why the 90 and 91 L05 Broughams have lower EPA mileage estimates than the 92.
    I'm not a science or physics person, but I remember reading somewhere that the '93-'96 body had a significantly lower drag coefficient than the '77-'92 body...probably because it was more rounded, windows flush with doors, door handles flush with doors, etc.

I think that might be a factor, even though the newer car itself was slightly heavier owing to extra length, larger engine, etc.

The 92 and 93 are actually the same, rating wise. And nothing aerodynamic changed from 90 to 92 to cause such a difference in ratings.

Even the engine HP ratings didn't change. Either 180 or 185 depending where you see the spec. Maybe it was all ECM related.

Anyway, if that EFI system is the same as the 76-79 Seville, then it has a few quirks as the years roll on, but nothing that is too hard to tackle these days.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Yeah, the 7.0L is a very reliable motor, and like you said, the trans is golden. If the body was good I would not hesitate to pick it up.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Great. Looks like we got a keeper.

My dad's having a mechanic look at it next week. It's the guy that dissed all Caddy's.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Don't use that guy...he'll just make it sound worse than it may be. Use someone who's either a Cadillac buff or not so biased.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Yeah, no kidding. Cadillac has made some VASTLY different cars from each other, many times within the same generation, for the past 3 or 4 decades. There is absolutely no way you can generalize the brand in one sweeping statement. Early FWD (Eldo), early analog EFI (mid to late 70s avail), 2+ decades of "we're switching to FWD," Northstars, Tahoe-based SUVs, new age RWD IRS cars, and during most of it, the body on frame D-body was available...

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

If you are buying it to resell and make some $$, make sure you check around and see what good running examples sell for. You don't want to be in over your head and then find out the market isn't what it used to be.

Best of luck!
    1996 Cadillac Fleetwood "SS"- sold but not forgotten
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood- the sleeper project
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition WS6 Conv't- the show car
    2006 Mini Cooper S BRG 6spd- the autox gokart
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged- wife's daily driver
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Crew 4x4- daily driver/tow vehicle

Yeah, no kidding. Cadillac has made some VASTLY different cars from each other, many times within the same generation, for the past 3 or 4 decades. There is absolutely no way you can generalize the brand in one sweeping statement. Early FWD (Eldo), early analog EFI (mid to late 70s avail), 2+ decades of "we're switching to FWD," Northstars, Tahoe-based SUVs, new age RWD IRS cars, and during most of it, the body on frame D-body was available...
    Hehe. No Kidding. '98 Catera and '68 Deville. Yup. Both are Cadillacs. But that mechanic didn't even want to touch the car, even though everything under the hood seems much less complicated than everything under my dad's Accord, but that mechanic and his shop mostly worked on foreign cars. WOW no bias there. He was going to talk me into buying some Camry so when it breaks down, I can bring it to him. Sneaky...
    If you are buying it to resell and make some $$, make sure you check around and see what good running examples sell for. You don't want to be in over your head and then find out the market isn't what it used to be.

Best of luck!
    Thanks! Don't think I'll be reselling it any time soon. One little test drive around the parking lot and I'm already attached to it. Now, I see why you guys love these cars! It makes driving a pleasure rather than a painfully monotonous daily necessity.

I'm still taken aback by the car's sheer age. I can't believe my parents were my age when this car first went into production, and Jimmy Carter was president. And no airbags even.

You guys have all been really helpful. I'll let you know how things turn out. Hopefully I'll have the keys by the end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    I'm still taken aback by the car's sheer age. I can't believe my parents were my age when this car first went into production, and Jimmy Carter was president. And no airbags even.
    Just one model year prior to the one you're looking at, Cadillac offered airbags and rear ABS on most of their line. Actually they had those for a few years, depending on the model.

brougham_geezer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 FWB, '80 Hearse, '71 Riviera & '75 Chevy RV

Blair, you sound just like me. Good on you for sticking up for the Caddies.

I just read the whole thread and was going to suggest getting a 1980 (especially after you mentioned liking the old-style headlights instead of composite). A 1980 Fleetwood Brougham would give you the best of everything you wanted: the almost exact same look of the '88-'89 Broughams (you even get a nicer, although different, vertical grille), plus the unbeatable and incredibly reliable Caddy big block in the form of the 368. They also still have the bulletproof THM400 trans (used in hummer H1's for heaven's sake!). I also think the '80 interiors look better, and less ho-hum that the later cars, as they hold their '77-'79 charm before the switch-over in '81.

I own 2 '80 Cadillacs (CDV and Commercial Chassis), and wouldn't trade them for the world. I had an '89 Brougham and experienced terrible woes with the drivetrain:

-trans shifted hard, slipped and mainseal wouldn't stop leaking
    -engine over heated often, used tons of oil and had no power

I must've just had a bad one, although the car had low miles and was in awesome shape otherwise. It had more new coolant system parts thank you could name and ran hotter than a horny dog... the next step would've been engine/trans rebuild... especially with the fluids it used.

So I sold it to a taxi driver who had an extra 307 to throw in (apparently pre-'84 307's and 403's are better, so I've read), and bought my '80... and I love it!

Point of the story is that I'm pleased to see you pick up a '79. Even better motor (power-wise) and I agree that the price is incredible. Those '77-'79 Fleetwoods are hard to come by, it seems. Much easier to find a deVille. Plus you're still getting the THM400.

I have 2 1979 Cadillacs that did not leave easy lives: one has a ton of miles and one sat in a yard for 15 years, rarely started or moved.

Both run extremely well and are very strong. Plus they shift butter smooth.

If you're interested in improving handling, find a thick 9C1 swaybar from a junkyard, and buy the control arm mounting brackets (still avail. from GM). It's a direct bolt on and will make the car stay a ton more level than without it.

We threw on on our '85 Pontiac Parisienne and the difference was shocking.

Your fleetwood may already have a thinner (although still helpful), Caddy swaybar so you could end up impressed... plus you can drop the sway bar and swap in a beefier one while saving money not ordering the brackets from GM since you have 'em already.

Good luck/keep us posted.

Yeah I kind of lucked into this one. It was a new listing on craigslist, and I thought no, it's way too old. Turns out it's in great condition and only needs a few cheap repairs (AC pulley, brakes, back power window). It's a really classy car with a big engine.

There are actually a lot of Cadillacs down here in Florida, even the old ones, but I knew a '77-'79 Fleetwood was a rare, little-known gem. A Coupe deVille would be more expensive but still easier to find, I think.

If I ever improve the handling, it'll be sometime later. I think it handled around the parking lot pretty well for a 2.5 ton, 222 in long car. And even though my school has massive parking spaces, I think I'll need to practice parking because of the sheer size.

Looks pretty safe too. Yeah, it lacks modern safety features, but the guy rearended a Civic in the car, and his front pumper still looks mint, while her rear was crumpled from the impact.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.