Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 64 replies 13 participants last post by  Cadillacboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I came across this beast within the last week, and would be interested to know what yall know about this year and model.

[/IMG]

looking forward to your replies.

oh,this is my first time posting here...so Hi everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, buy it. Many agree that those are the best modern day Cadillac.

#4 ·
It is a '95 or '96 LT1 Powered Fleetwood Brougham.

How many miles?

Inexpensive to maintain because parts are readily available & shared with the Bbody cars (Caprice, Impala SS, Roadmaster)

Relatively good gas mileage for a V8.

Great modification potential. Wolf in sheeps clothing.

#6 ·
$6000 cash only, approx 89000 miles. The seller said it is a 93, but there was a VHS in the glove gox that said 1995 blah blah blah. Have not driven it, but it starts right up, AC works radio works, antenna works, underbody is dry (no oil), tyres good, interior good, except for a cat smell, but I do believe a non smoker.

How do you check codes??

#7 ·
Look in the trunk, take a photo (or copy down) all the three letter codes on the SPID sticker stuck to the bottom of the trunk lid on the left side.

Look all the options up HERE

If it has LT1, it's not a 93. Dual exhausts will be LT1, as well. Just go to carfax.com and type in the VIN and it will tell you the year and engine.

#8 ·
It is a '95 or '96 from the side mirrors. Dual openings on the center console is '95, singe opening is '96.

I say $4,000-$4,500 would sound good?

#9 ·
Judging by the mirrors, it's absolutely a '95 or '96. Because of the cassette you mentioned, I'd say it's a '95. The way to tell the '93 from the '94 is quite simple. Even though they both have smaller door mounted mirrors, the '93 has a square-ish shaped airbag unit. The '94 steering wheel was restyled to match the new deVille line. In '95 the mirrors were changed and a few little options here and there were changed.

#11 ·
Here you're :
To enter diagnostic mode, proceed as follows:
1. With the ignition in the "RUN" position (engine does not necessarily need to be running, but it will work either way).
2. Push (and hold) "OFF" and "WARMER" simultaneously on the Electronic Climate Control (ECC) until all telltales lights illuminate (segment check).
3. Release the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons.
4. System is now in diagnostic mode. "00" (zero-zero) should now be displayed. This is the pointer.
5. Pressing "OUTSIDE TEMP" will allow you to display the corresponding code for the pointer.
6. Use the "FAN SPEED" override switch (UP/DOWN) to increment or decrement the pointer number.
7. Pressing "AUTO" or turning the ignition switch "OFF" exits diagnotic mode.
Pointers 00-04 contain the stored trouble codes.
o "00" = Powertrain Control Module (PCM) codes
o "01" =
o "02" = Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) codes
o "03" =
o "04" = Anti-lock Brake/Traction Control System (ABS/TC) Codes

I think the best method is for both checking and clearing the codes is that you should have a code reader .
:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Yeah, you should at least try to haggle the price down. Dealers always charge about 1500 bucks over a private individual. But 6k is still decent considering the mileage and newer (more desirable) mirrors. Personally I would offer 4k and take it at 5k, but 4.5 would be better. But that's just because I'm a bargain hunter and a haggler. Also if this is a hole-in-the-wall used car dealer, then when you haggle, make sure to say "Final drive-out." If you don't then the dealer will tack on hundreds of dollars of "fees." I once haggled a $1500 car down to $500, but he inflated TTL and added stuff like "dealer convenience fees" and "services" which added up to an additional 300 bucks. At the very least, get him to include TTL in the sale price, to keep the price nice and even; I do this at hawk shops all the time and it works every time.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Greg

#16 · (Edited)
^^^
yeah, it would be nice if I can go in ther with $5000 cash in hand. But the seller does not look hard up for
money, not sure how much it would entice him.

This is an older guy, runs a small oil change and tyre outfit...he always has company about, don't know if he'd let me talk to him in private...negotiations might go better then.

#18 ·
First you take it for a test drive, and even get it inspected if you like (about 70 buck at Pep Boys). Then when you come back, you start rattling off all the problems it has. And if the dealer is not hard up for cash, then he may be willing to come down to Earth for a little bit. Point out EVERYTHING. Any creases in the leather, any door dings, any curb rash, and anything else you can think of. Make sure that you dominate the conversation. Then if you're lucky he might say "so what are you offering?" Then you have him. Offer him 4 grand, then let him respond with 5 grand. Then you respond with a final offer, "Okay, but it has to be final drive-out." This will make him think you're accepting his offer, but you're still going down by a couple hundred bucks.

Or be quick and fast and come out and say in a "cool" manner, "I'll give you 5 grand total drive-out." :cool: Being so quick, he'll probably accept, since it's not outrageously low (only 1000 below asking price). Just be in control at all times, and don't let the dealer think he can push you around or give you BS. Throw out an offer that's low enough that he might accept, but not too low. Otherwise, he'll know you're lowballing him, and he'll know you have more money.

You basically have to understand that dealers severely mark up their cars above what they think they're worth. They do this to make money, but also because they know people will haggle them down. A buyer can just about always get the price down by some amount, even if it's just TTL and fees, and nobody (nobody smart anyways) pays sticker on a used car. One other tip, I would highly suggest you have the car inspected (it's worth the 70 bucks), as "Honest Johns" will commonly undervalue problems. Like for me a "simple AC recharge" turned out to be a bad compressor. Or "just needs new brake pads" turned out to be "needs a master cylinder and brake lines." Hope the sale goes through well.

Greg

#20 ·
First you take it for a test drive, and even get it inspected if you like (about 70 buck at Pep Boys). Then when you come back, you start rattling off all the problems it has. And if the dealer is not hard up for cash, then he may be willing to come down to Earth for a little bit. Point out EVERYTHING. Any creases in the leather, any door dings, any curb rash, and anything else you can think of. Make sure that you dominate the conversation. Then if you're lucky he might say "so what are you offering?" Then you have him. Offer him 4 grand, then let him respond with 5 grand. Then you respond with a final offer, "Okay, but it has to be final drive-out." This will make him think you're accepting his offer, but you're still going down by a couple hundred bucks.

Or be quick and fast and come out and say in a "cool" manner, "I'll give you 5 grand total drive-out." :cool: Being so quick, he'll probably accept, since it's not outrageously low (only 1000 below asking price). Just be in control at all times, and don't let the dealer think he can push you around or give you BS. Throw out an offer that's low enough that he might accept, but not too low. Otherwise, he'll know you're lowballing him, and he'll know you have more money.

You basically have to understand that dealers severely mark up their cars above what they think they're worth. They do this to make money, but also because they know people will haggle them down. A buyer can just about always get the price down by some amount, even if it's just TTL and fees, and nobody (nobody smart anyways) pays sticker on a used car. One other tip, I would highly suggest you have the car inspected (it's worth the 70 bucks), as "Honest Johns" will commonly undervalue problems. Like for me a "simple AC recharge" turned out to be a bad compressor. Or "just needs new brake pads" turned out to be "needs a master cylinder and brake lines." Hope the sale goes through well.

Greg

I knew i always liked you. lol.

Least im not the only one that refuses to pay asking price. My 81 being a good example eh?
lol

#22 ·
TTL or TT&L stands for tax, title, and license. "Tax" is sales tax for the state DMV (usually 10% of blue book). "Title" is title fees for the transfer which is basically "application for title" fee (about $80). And "License" is the vehicle registration fee for the state (usually between $80 and $150).

So that is a good chunk that can be over $500 on that car if you're not careful. These are the fees you would normally pay on your own at the DMV office after you buy a car from an individual. But at the dealer, they "do it for you" and often times add in other fees for themselves, so it will be even more. But this is also why you can have a dealer shave those fees off the price (if you can get them to do it).

Greg

#25 ·
ok, so the saga continues....went by the seller today. Asked him to let me take it out, but could not. He does not have any insurance or license and could not find a way to let me drive it...so major bummer there. But he let the keys again, all I could do was start it, drive back and forth the 10-15t clearance left. So we get to talking a lil bit but the guy won't budge from his perch of $6K. Rather he kept harping on about nothing is wrong with the car, and the recent work he had done to it. According to him, he was/is the second owner of the car. He bought it from a friend with ~40k miles, it now has 86K. He changed oil at 3-4k, recent plug/wire job, and also AC. Along with the owner's manual, there was another booklet with the original purchaser's name, address, date of delivery etc. And he towed a trailer with it TWICE he said. But with that said the car is in good condtion from the looks of it.

I'm stil a bit undecided though...

Oh, I almost forgot to put this in...went by the dealer around here and asked them to run the VIN, the only info they gave me was that it is a 95 FWB with LT1, the guy that ran it said he could not release any thing else. Is that the truth?

#27 ·
If you really really like the car pay it. I have to tell you, though, you have options. There are lots of low-mileage FWBs out there. And there's no reason you can't find one under $5,000 and be totally happy with it. And maybe even better off.

I wouldn't say NEVER buy a car you can't test drive, I buy cars sight unseen all the time. And I've got lots of experience, do my homework, and know the kinds of questions to ask. BEWARE, however, when a dealer or private party will only let you "lot" drive a car. That should raise a red flag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.