68 Deville posi rear end swap? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 68 Deville posi rear end swap? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Other are 3 basic diff types. Open has zero resistance and allows all power to go to one wheel if ...
    rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Other are 3 basic diff types. Open has zero resistance and allows all power to go to one wheel if it's spinning.
    Limited slip has friction packs that attempt to equalize power between both wheels. It works good but under hjigh load/stress only one wheel will spin. Posi traction sends equal power to both wheel pretty much all the time regardless. It still allows a slight diff in wheel speed so you can corner.
    For most cars unless in the snow belt an open diff is fine. If you get stuck it sucks because only one wheel will ever spin. In the snow belt, limited slip will suffice most of the time. Posi traction is the gold crown diff option.

LiQuid Explosion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Deville Convertible
    Little off topic and much later but does anyone think a 68 Cadillac Deville could tow a 14' Box trailer?

I rebuilt my 472 to 8.5/1 compression and a RV Cam, Fuel injection etc. It also has a new 400TT with cooler and Front 13" Willwood brakes and 12" rear. Also Accuair air ride.

I believe the car is probably stronger than most trucks. I was concerned about the rear end though. I understand it is pretty stout but, what does anyone think about towing with the standard gear?

I am am relocating to FL from San Diego which I did with a Ram 1500 to San Diego. I'd rather not have the Caddy shipped again when it is more than capable of doing a trucks job. Unfortunately the truck was too much here so I sold it and I only have SRT8 as another car.

I'm sure I would need a tow commander and it has load leveling.

Anyone?
    Thanks

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Re: 68 Deville posi rear end swap?

I think it could do it with proper equipment if the trailer is under about 4700 lbs.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

I got a 1965-79 Hollander Interchange in front of me and the Cadillac rear has no interchange except for another Cadi of similar vintage. 68-70.

Fyi - Posi-traction is a Chevrolet brand name for its limited slip differential. Cadillac called it by another name, Controlled Differential.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 05 CTS, 07 SRX

depending on the weight of the trailer I'd say you'd be fine. those engines are real stump pullers.

LiQuid Explosion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Deville Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    depending on the weight of the trailer I'd say you'd be fine. those engines are real stump pullers.
    I agree the engine had ridiculous torque. Though with my new mods it is meant for gas mileage. It probably has around 400's in Tq now.
    I am worried about the rear though. 17' trailer and the WT of the car is 9700lbs if it is in fact 4700lbs restricted like someone else stated.

I had a problem with a new Dodge Ram 1500 trans overheating going up the mountains east of San Diego. I had to turn around and sleep in Imperial Ca till it was cool enough 0430 in the morning. That thing is meant to pull too.

TheStickman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Federal Heritage Hearse

There is an option found in some mid 90's hearses and limos. That is the 14 bolt truck rear you mentioned. I have one in my Federal hearse. The mounts will be different I am sure. But the width should be close. It is a drum brake rear but the drums are huge. Not sure if they come in posi from the factory but you can get posi's for them. Mine has 4.10 gears and a tru trac diff.
    the APEMAN likes this.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Man I'd love a 4.10 posi in my car for about 2 tanks of gas.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
    That'd be a fun 26 minutes.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.