Low buck tips to improve handling on the 77-96 D Body cars? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Low buck tips to improve handling on the 77-96 D Body cars? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Damn, I want that camber kit. On my 79 Deville I have Vogtland springs, Bilsteins, 9C1 front and rear bars, ...
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

Re: Low buck tips to improve handling on the 77-96 D Body cars?

Damn, I want that camber kit. On my 79 Deville I have Vogtland springs, Bilsteins, 9C1 front and rear bars, and the trans am steering box. One day I'd like to try the Delphi 670 steering box. I like this battery in the trunk idea. If I did that, and got an aluminum Fleetwood hood it would be even better.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I wish they made an aluminum hood for the 80-92.

DBeaSST is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Great information! Thank you for posting! And thanks for the bump to the top too! A couple questions.

With the f-body front bar, would you use an end link kit from the F-Body or the stock D-Body kit?

Any low budget suggestions for updating the rear sway bar? 94-6 Impala or similar 9C1?

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Emphasis on low buck boys and girls:

1. Install 70-81 F Body 1.25" front antisway bar. This has a shorter lever than the stock 1 1/8" or 30mm (1.18") bar we have, so the bar is much more in control than we have now stock. 9C1, FE2, Impala SS FE4, bars are all the same 30mm, they are NOT the F-Body 1.25" bar....The Hotchkiss bars are hollow, the HA/HO bars are rare, and the 1.25" F-Body bar is still made aftermarket and very very effective compared to the rest.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I put on a set of Impala SS wheels on my 95 Fleetwood, with the stock FE1 suspension. Really does wonders for the handling and traction vs the stock size Michelin SUV tires I had on there. Plus with the Khumo tires I went with, it rides about 95% as good. Only downside is more tire noise on the interstate. I mainly did it for the look though, as I do like the squishy stock suspension, and I drive 90% of my miles on straight interstates.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by DBeaSST View Post
    Great information! Thank you for posting! And thanks for the bump to the top too! A couple questions.

With the f-body front bar, would you use an end link kit from the F-Body or the stock D-Body kit?

Any low budget suggestions for updating the rear sway bar? 94-6 Impala or similar 9C1?
    Mike, I'd say 9C1/ impala ss rear sway bar. I'm not sure of the diameter on those.
    I have a swaybar from a tow package (350 powered) 90 brougham for mine (a little over an inch thick- maybe 1.25 or so?)
    @sam, AFAIK, an aluminum hood was made for the 80-92 fwb (its listed as an option in my '86 FSM). IIRC, it was only available on commercial chassis cars though.

as far as steering boxes, I've heard of people using quick ratio ones out of jeeps (Cherokees IIRC) from the early 90's (apparently jeep sourced their steering boxes from GM)

If I remember correctly, most Caddies have a variable steering box 17-13/1. The other B/D body steering is 13/1, 9C1 steering box is 12/1, some F-body cars have 11/1. I have a 12/1 steering box if anybody is interested. I didnt use it because I had to use more steering effort, it doesnt turn as easy as the stock one. Maybe it had some air in it or something but I couldnt get it to turn as easy as the stock Caddy one.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Does the F body gear box require different hoses? on my 84 sedan. Some were flare, others were O ring.

^That was a major issue I had when I switched to the 9C1 gearbox. The hoses always leaked and I couldnt get it right. My power steering pump is from 1975 and the 9C1 box I had was from a 1990 Caprice 9C1. I had trouble getting the hose correct and ended up cutting off the flared part and using an o-ring. Works pretty good so far. In short form, I ended up modifying a 90 caprice hose to get it to work. There are shops that will make hoses for you.

jcolliga40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 86 fleetwood
    Does anyone have a picture of what their battery looks like in the trunk? Looking for mounting ideas.

Barrister_07101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB 'Blue Devil' , 95 FWB 'Black Beauty'

great thread... got ideas and now need to gather up the cash to implement.

Rick James is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by DBeaSST View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Mike, I'd say 9C1/ impala ss rear sway bar. I'm not sure of the diameter on those.
    I have a swaybar from a tow package (350 powered) 90 brougham for mine (a little over an inch thick- maybe 1.25 or so?)
    I've been trying to research this myself. My little bit of research so far is telling me that yes a 9C1 swaybar is a great addition but one needs to beef up their Lower Control Arms. Either box them in or buy aftermarket. Can anyone confirm this?

Is a 9C1 rear swaybar a direct fit or does one need B-Body LCAs? And if one buys B-Body LCAs they need to be slightly modified to accept some wiring...

You wont need beefier lower control arms to run a 9C1 front swaybar. The Roadmaster Limited I have in the garage has a bigger front sway bar also...and posi. 9C1 rear swaybar is a direct fit if you already have a swaybar. If you dont have mounts for a rear swaybar, you will need the brackets and might have to drill holes in your current LCAs. No wiring for the LCAs. One thing I have heard about the F-body front swaybar is that it is a couple inches shorter and will pull your swaybar links in a little. Not a big deal but you will run through them a little faster.

Scored an aluminum hood off a 79 deville at pick n pull last weekend, so they are out there. I think it was originally from a Fleetwood, but it was on a Deville. At the same time another pick in pull had 2 Fleetwoods and both had steel hoods, so, I guess I got pretty lucky. I haven't really noticed much handling difference, but mine already handles pretty well anyway. In some ways I almost like the handling more than my Ford focus, and I have the SVT suspension on that. Steering isn't near as good though, nor is isolation from a lot of types of bumps. Expansion joints are tough for most cars I think, but compared to the focus, my Deville rattles and booms so much you think it's gonna fall apart.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Does anyone know where to find nice replacement body mount bushings for our cars? The Caprice 9C1 body mount bushings are no longer available. I heard polyurethane ones aren't recommended. They cause a lot of squeeks and a lot harsher of a ride. I've even read that on the impala ss forum. Anybody have any leads on nice rubber ones?

A few years ago I got some body mount bushings that the guys on the Impala forums recommended. They were rubber and I ordered them from a Chevy dealership, but they weren't specifically for a 9C1. They were intended for some other application. There should be a thread on the Impala forums with details on them, unless those are the ones you're talking about.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.