Tough Decision.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Tough Decision..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As some of you have recently read I just added another Cadillac to my fleet. I really didn't need it ...
    Wheelman322 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1980 FWB Coupe D'el, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.

Tough Decision.....

As some of you have recently read I just added another Cadillac to my fleet. I really didn't need it b/c I don't have room for it. I've come to the conclusion that something has to go. So here are my choices...
    1. Sell the 80 FWB Coupe D'elegance that is all original with 73K miles and needs nothing mechanically or cosmetically. The con being that with under 1000 of these produced, i'll probably never find another like it down the road.

2. Sell the 91 Brougham 5.7 that I just bought and have wanted for several years. With 56K miles and Diplomat Blue...chances are it's going to be hard to find another one down the road in it's condition + I know the car is only going to appreciate over time.

3. Sell the 78 FWB that is probably the least valueable in the fleet but has eaten the better half of $14,000 and is pretty close to perfect + it's extremely sentimental to me as i've had it an unpresidented 5 years and has been to hell and back with me. I swore since day 1 that I would never sell this car.

Does anybody have advice????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tough Decision.....

Pictures might help...

Picture it with wire wheels and the fillers fixed like it sits now...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

That is something that only you could decide.

Really, cause blue book dosn't mean anything, demand dosn't mean anything etc....

Heck to the majority of the public, all those are just "old gas guzzling cars"

But I know exactly how hard it is, they are all soo similay, yet so much different. Personally, when I had my '93 Coupe DeVille, I was NEVER going to sell that, but it was stolen from me...... same with my '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance, that was an awesome car, and at times I did want to sell it.... but I could never bring myself to, and I know I would just have a really hard time letting it go..... it was involved in a heavy wreck though, and I basically had no choice.

Now I am in the same situation with my '89 Fleetwood Brougham, though the more I fix it up, the more I apperciate it, and now I am really starting to like it (again) I guess its just when I got it, it was really a mess and I had alot of things going on at the time etc...)

But to answer your question... well, like I said, its up to you.

If I personally had to pick 2 of your 3 cars, solely based on the pictures you posted and the brief details, I would take the '91 and the '80.... cause... well, the '91 would be a great daily driver, and the 350 Broughams are cool, plus it has the "newest" version of the age old interior (I like the digital stuff) and the '80 is a really cool classic, 2-door, even tho its a 368, still a big block Caddy etc.... To me, the '78 kinda tries to be both, and honestly, it dosn't (visually) appeal to me as much as the other 2, from the pictures you've posted......

But like you said, the '78 holds alot of sentamental value to you, and thats where it becomes your decsion. You said you've put $14,000 into it? Sorry to say, but you will never get that back if you sell it, that car would bring in maybe $4,000 tops..... so you would be loosing alot of money on it.

Basically, if you could, keep them all and hold off on getting any other new cars soon unless you really need a different type of vehicle (pickup/minivan etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
    That is something that only you could decide.

But like you said, the '78 holds alot of sentamental value to you, and thats where it becomes your decsion. You said you've put $14,000 into it? Sorry to say, but you will never get that back if you sell it, that car would bring in maybe $4,000 tops..... so you would be loosing alot of money on it.

Basically, if you could, keep them all and hold off on getting any other new cars soon unless you really need a different type of vehicle (pickup/minivan etc...)

Yeah...The 78 is not going to bring much $...but I did get a $6000 offer from a guy last year, so it would be close to half of what I got in it. On the other hand...I have 2 pretty new cars (06 V6 Tacoma 4x4 & 07 M45) so I won't be adding anything else to the stable unless another uber-rare Cad comes along (LOL). I'd like to keep them all but I would have to impose on my friends to find a parking spot.
    I talked it over with a close friend and we agreed that financially it would make the most sense to nix the 78...it's just gonna be tough.

CaddyshackCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

I was thinking the same thing you just cant get rid of the coupe i know its tough but that 1980 fleetwood is a caddy mans dream and it would be a regrettable decision if you decided to get rid if her if ya sell the 78 take them rims and tires off her and toss em on the fleetwood.....

bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Sell the rice, or buy/build a garage. I couldn't let any of those Caddies go.

Quote Originally Posted by bicentennialcadillac View Post
    Sell the rice, or buy/build a garage. I couldn't let any of those Caddies go.
    LOL...Would love to but just not practical. The rice cruises me down the highway at 100 + mph every day. The Caddies would fall apart in a week if I treated them like I do the rice.

MaineWater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe Deville,BROUGHAMS: 1989,1991 d'elegance, 1992

Sell the 80 FWB Coupe to me, jk i wish i had the money but im only a freshman in college, someday hopefully

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Sell a set of wire wheels! You'll make almost as much money as selling a car!

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Sell a set of wire wheels! You'll make almost as much money as selling a car!
    I know. It's not the money though...I just need a place to keep 5 cars + my wifes.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

The '80 is pretty rare, and I like the '77-'79 styling much better than '80-92, so I'd take the wire wheels off the '91, put them on the '80, and sell the '91. Tough choice regardless.

Hmmm....Well either way it's gonna be tough. BTW all the Cadillacs have wires on them. I just don't have any new pics of the 80 yet.

bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman322 View Post
    LOL...Would love to but just not practical. The rice cruises me down the highway at 100 + mph every day. The Caddies would fall apart in a week if I treated them like I do the rice.
    Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything. Even if something goes, parts are cheap ... way cheaper than new car payments.

Just something to think about.

Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything. Even if something goes, parts are cheap ... way cheaper than new car payments.

Just something to think about.
    Believe me I have. You would have to drive with me to understand. I drive the two new cars like they're stolen (over curbs/into oncoming traffic/well over 100mph on a daily basis). I just wouldn't expose the Caddies to that type of abuse. As a multiple car owner yourself i'm sure you know what I mean...You probably don't drive the 76 or 79 the way you would the 00 or 05

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything.
    If anyone thinks this is a false statement, I've got an '89 Fleetwood Brougham that is a perfect example!

Anyway, the only thing that woudln't like these Caddys going 100mph would be the driver, not the car.... the car would guzzle gas at that speed (no matter which engine it has) and handling would be.... fun.... been there, done that But.... they do it, smoothly and as a Cadillac should

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.