Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1M views 4K replies 662 participants last post by  Elvin1972 
#1 ·
Come on guys, let's see those DeVilles and Fleetwoods!

See less See more
#481 ·
Dealer installed. Doesn't count. :)

#483 ·
:welcome:
First of all, welcome!

As for your Cadillac, it's really very nice! We don't have too many Sedan DeVilles on this thread, so you are a nice addition. We've got mostly Fleetwoods DeVilles that are coupes. And I really like that paint job. Do post more pics, especially the interior (is it d'Elegance?). And how many miles? You're gonna really have to keep your eye on that 4.1L! All original cars like these are always so nice; just look at those fillers!

#484 ·
The interior is by Fisher and the body is by Fleetwood is what it says on the plate on the kick panel of the driverside door. It has the dark brown plush interior and it has 48,450 original miles. I just changed the original plugs, wires, fuel pump that was original. I also put a new filter too but I am not sure if that was original as well. I got it about a year and a half ago with 39,123 miles on it. It got stolen 4 mo. after I got so I had to get the steering column and the rear driver window replaced. Oh I also just fixed the trunk motor as well. We have a Junk yard in Phoenix that has nothing but cadillacs so I got it for $50. They wanted $120 at checkers and Autozone for it so I think I got one hell of a deal. It has a small dent on the front right quarter panel from my babies mamma after two weeks of me having it. When I get a new camera I will put more pics of the other side, the dent, engine, and the interior. Thanks for the coments and I do love the two tone paint job myself. Oh the hood it kind of oxidized like rough. How could I get that better without a paint job.

#486 ·
The interior is by Fisher and the body is by Fleetwood is what it says on the plate on the kick panel of the driverside door....How could I get that better without a paint job.
Yeah, all Cadillacs were made by those folks at fisher and fleetwood. What I meant was does it have the special option package that meant upgraded interior and trim. I believe that car came as a "Deville" and as a "DeVille d'Elegance," but the company may have phased that out after the early 80's.

As for the paint, you have plenty of options. The car has a lacquer paint job, which makes it real easy to work with, buff, shine, etc. You will probably want to talk to Ben (along with others), codename "Benzilla," as he works wonders with these style paintjobs and would have many product recommendations.

#487 ·
I dont think it is the d'Elegance cause it just says either sedan deville or just deville on the trim pieces but I think it is a Arizona special edition because of the colors. I will have to look in the book or maybe I can google the VIN and I think it will tell me that HUH. Benzilla huh I will have to see whats up with him. Everyone tells me to be carefull with the 4.1. What is the deal with that do you know?
Chris

#489 ·
Benzilla huh I will have to see whats up with him. Everyone tells me to be carefull with the 4.1. What is the deal with that do you know?
Chris
Benzy is the king of two tone/ special edition Caddys!

I do like the two tone on that, looks classy.

From Matt Garett's Website...
Its only the worst motor Cadillac ever attached to any of their cars. Known for coolant issues ect. The HT4100 is a tiny all aluminum 4.1 liter motor with very little power, even less torque, with a small transmission and tiny differential behind it.The HT4100 was used from 1982-1985 and it often failed before 20K miles in its first years. By 1985, the motors general reliability issues had been somewhat corrected, but it was still a very anemic engine. It was so bad that Cadillac stopped production after 1985 and had to resort to Oldsmobile engines as a last resort over stopping production entirely. The HT4100 was actually built to be FWD engine for a smaller car platform of future years and was brought to the table too fast and ahead of its time. This was the big mistake as the HT4100 might have been a good engine in a small front wheel drive car, but it had no business in a full size RWD Fleetwood. It was however somewhat tollerable in the FWD Seville and Eldorado. The low power and extra low torque of the small HT4100 caused the driver to literally have to floor the car in normal driving modes just to pace traffic. On the HT4100 cars, the throttle positioning was adjusted to give the car a lot of accelerator push with very little foot movement. This gave the car an appearance of instant power and was great for a conservative test drive, but when you finally put your foot all the way down, no more power was made and the motor revved itself to death going nowhere with the transmission shift points changed due to the floored accelerator position. The fact that the HT4100 was a first generation all aluminum motor, put it ahead in design and much was learned, but the fact it was so small is such a big car, it tore itself up as it was overworked all the time. The HT4100 usually failed a rod bearing, or had a serious cooling leak issue and prompted an entire engine replacement
:alchi::alchi::alchi:

#490 ·
Great so do you think I got robbed when I payed $3500 for it. I do have a lot of people offering my like$5000 for it. Do you think I should keep it since it has 48K orig and just maintain it good or get rid of it and find another caddi? It did start to have a little whine to it lately and I did have a ticking sound when I would rev it but I think that went away. What do you think I should do? I just love it so much!

#491 ·
Don't sell. If you just maintain the car and treat it well you'll be fine. Religious oil, trans fluid, and coolant changes and she keep running. Also don't treat her like a racecar. I'm not saying drive like a grandma, but just don't try to roar out of every light/sign or pass ten cars in the fast lane. I think 3500 was actually just fine, even a good deal considering low miles and two-tone paint. But those are about the only rare traits, so if people offer $5k or more, I would take it. After all it's a nice profit, and you could get a more powerful optioned car like a 6L or a 5.7L which come by the drolls at that price. Don't rush and sell in a panic; you would probably regret it. You have a fine large car with an okay engine which appears to run fine; it's simply an underpowered car.

#492 ·
I've been enjoying the photos for a while and decided to post a few of my 1966 Fleetwood Eldorado. Currently has 72,000 miles on the odometer, runs like new. All original, never restored.

And for good measure, I'll include a photo of my 1950.

Attachments

#494 ·
The '66 Eldorado was all original and nearly showroom new when I bought it in 1994, and with just over 50,000 miles. The only thing I've done is replace the top after the original one (which was perfect) got ripped by a chunk of flying metal kicked up by a semi on the interstate. Aside from that, only normal maintenance such as tune-ups and oil changes, tires, brake shoes, etc. If I had to, I could probably sell it today for about twice what I paid for it.

When I bought the '50, back in 1990, it was also original, but had more than 90,000 miles on it and had sat in a barn for about 20 years. Despite that, with fresh fluids and a battery it started right up and was driven as a daily driver by a friend of mine until I bought it. The body was in relatively good condition, mostly solid with only rust in the rear quarter panels above the rear wheels. The interior was dry rotted and the door panels were rotted away at the bottom, so an entire new interior was put in. While all this was being done, the engine was pulled out and rebuilt, though it still ran strong. It's not a perfect restoration, but it suits me and it runs and drives great. I have a total of about $20,000 in it including the purchase price and everything that's been done to it since.

#496 ·
hey guys...
new to the site....
i have a 67 coupe deville ragtop i just picked up that i'm going to work on. 429cid,59k orig miles. she needs a new top, so i'm gonna swap it for a black one to offset the interior (black), spray it white diamond, air bag the susp, and thow on a set of 20"s.
-JOHN

Attachments

#498 ·
Hows it going everyone?
Im new here, and I will post pics of my cadillac's that I own.
I have owned many cadillacs, and I tell ya, there is no other ride out there that can compare to a Lac!
As of right now I Own a 84 Coupe DeVille and a 93 Fleetwood RWD.
I just sold a 83 Coupe DeVille a few months ago.
I have owned a bunch of other years and I do favor cadillacs.

Here are pics of before and current 84 coupe deville:

Well i guess ,my pics are too big or they wont post :(

#499 ·
try uploading them to www.photobucket.com, then posting the IMG links here. It's free and relatively simple.

#502 ·
16 cans of rubberized undercoating, yup. Heater is marginal, but working on it. Warm enough to be comfortable, but not yet hot.

Ice cracking off of the vinyl roof while scooting along makes a pretty interesting/chilling noise... but thats why the radio volume knob was made to be turned up.

Thanks for the welcome!

#505 ·
My "Cadillac Ranch" update;

1983 Coupe DeVille (507/TH400): My blood, sweat and tear baby;

1984 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance (425/TH200-4R): Current project;

1981 Sedan DeVille ("Target" Diesel): Picture of the 'rescue' after 12 years - now daily driver!;

1975 Coupe DeVille: The potential part out;

#506 ·
Awesome fleet, what kind of tires are on the '83?

And why would you part out the '75?

#508 ·
Benzilla: The '83 has Broadway Classics - perfect width whitewall, made in USA (I heard BFG made them). The '75 is real rotten - it sat 15 or more years outside and it just got raunchy. I'm trying to sell it whole as I HATE parting a Cad out, but I know a guy restoring his '76 and wants all the interior (and I'd keep the eng/trans).

MFB: The engine is a high compression 500 bored 0.030 over. I have some emblems that were "3.8 Litre" that I separated and epoxied back together to read "8.3 Litre" but I can't seem to find a pic right now. A lot of people like the 4100 badges for some reason... I just like that the 500 is 8.2L - 200% a 4.1L :yup:

EDIT: BTW, what product did you use on Denice's paint, Benzilla?

#511 ·
Benzilla:I just like that the 500 is 8.2L - 200% a 4.1L

hahah too true. being the proud owner of both it amazes me each time i drive either my '85 or my '69.

i know the ht4100 has a lot of problems. maybe im just lucky but i have never found a problem with the engine. coming up to 118k on my fleetwood (daily driver). its really all in the maintinance. my grandfather took perfect care of that car (oil changes every 3k, tuneups, fluid flushes) and it really shows. it purrs on the highway and gets relatively good mileage too.

still. the power is definately lacking. makes for a great DD though with the OD tranny and the puny engine size. and just because...... its a cadillac! i love that car

#509 ·
Just good old rubbing compound. ;) I used the liquid kind, followed by a cleaner wax. That's all really. But I had to go over the whole car twice on each step to get all of the oxidation off.

The 1.3" whitewall is getting very hard to find, I have Dimension IV's on my '79, and they just stopped making them. I can't remember if they still make Broadway's or not. But I need another set, and the thought of not being able to find any is scary to say the least. I agree that they just complete the look on these Caddies.

Ben.