Problem with Int. Lights/P-Locks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Problem with Int. Lights/P-Locks in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum. I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. I am having a problem ...
    Nameless is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Problem with Int. Lights/P-Locks

Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum. I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. I am having a problem with my interior lights and power doorlocks. The fuse labelled "Body Courtersy Lights" 20A seems to always blow and I would lose interior lights and also my power doorlocks. I have made sure that all other fuses are of the correct measurement and took apart the door panels on all four doors to see if there are any bad connections but cannot seem to find the problem.

I have tried replacing the fuse but it would start to spark as I inserted it and then it lead to a blown fuse. Just a week ago I was able to put a fuse in without popping it and it was all good till now. I got into the car, unlocked the doors for my passengers using the power doorlocks and when i got to my destination, the plocks would not work aswell as the lights, so i knew the fuse had blown again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading =]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Problem with Int. Lights/P-Locks

I'm thinking it could be a ground connection somewhere but I dont know where to look. Could turning on the heater/defroster have caused this? But I have turned it on many times before it happened so I dont know.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i had the same problem with my 1980 sedan deville
    i spent a lot of $$$$$
    trying to fix the thing and finaly had to sell the car
    because of all the problems
    nice car looked perfect
    but the wireing was just crap
    hope you can fix your car

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

This fuse also supplies power to all the lighter sockets. Remove all the lighters (3?) check for gum wrappers, dimes etc. in there. Also check the wires to the dash lighter assembly, have seen those wires being touching metal. This is a fairly common problem. Non smokers use the ash trays for trash. Post back with results.

CaddylacBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I wonder if you have a bad ground on the door lock relay would that be able to blow a fuse? Also if you had bad ground on the trunk light because it that moves around it will cause an large enough spark to blow the fuse. If you want to test the trunk. First disconnect the negitive battery cable!! and then just take out the light bulb (if the bulb is out or does not work then scratch that idea) and put in a new fuse if the fuse, then reconnet the negitive battery cable. then try your door locks and interior lights if they all work and such find the trunk light ground and see if it is loose and tighten it. I hope this helps a little

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

A bad ground shouldn't be enough to blow a fuse. My guess would be more that there's a damaged wire or a part somewhere and it's when it moves that the fuse blows. See if there's always something the same when the fuse blows like a door that's opened or something like that. That spark you get when you first put the fuse in is normal.

Why do you have to disconnect the battery to take the trunk light out?

thanks for the suggestions guys.. I'll look into those areas soon. I'll post back with updates.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

The body fuse also powers the white side marker lights that stay on when you put the turn signals. Although I go with the lighter theory first that "carnut" posted...

well right now everything is fine. me and my dad found a loose ground wire in the front passenger door. It was not disconnected but some what loose, as well as a wire connected to the cig. lighter. I also filed down the connection of the negative terminal ground wire to the body because it was quite rusty. Right now it seems to be fine but we'll have to wait and see if the problem happens again. Thanks for all the input guys/girls!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.