Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CUE Update Status

62K views 225 replies 61 participants last post by  georule 
#1 ·
Hi, I just spoke with the service manager at my dealership and he told me that he spoke with his Cadillac rep and there is, as we all have been told, a major CUE release coming this month. Here is how i was told it will happen:

The dealerships will first receive the update for all their lot inventory

Then, BY INVITATION, that will be mailed to each customer, you will be scheduled to come in for the update. The reason they are doing it in this fashion is that they do not know until they "jack you into the Matrix", what version of the CUE software your vehicle is running. If your version on your CUE system has been updated at some point from the original factory install, you are in luck, your upgrade will only take between 1 and 4 hours. Now for the bad news... If you CUE system is still running the original factory install the upgrade will take 12 HOURS! They dealership is supposed to give you a vehicle to drive during this period, so not all bad, just a PIA to be without your vehicle for that long.

I asked if I could get a jump on this, unfortunately the dealers do not have the update yet.

Hope this helps

BTW I understand that the Chevy software is also getting an update at the same time.
:)

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Remember, this is the first MAJOR update to CUE, so I would expect this one to take longer (albeit, 12 hours in any case is a bit excessive, hey even an update to Windoze does not take that long). The dealer did mention that the update was coming to them on either a flash drive or a flash card of some sort, so one would hope that in the future GM could figure out how to let the customer do the updates themselves, however, being in the technical industry for 30+ years, i can tell you if there is a way for the end user to screw something up, they will. Can you imagine a bunch of Cadillacs not able to start because of a failed CUE update? Hey, maybe that is a career path for some of us.... I will come to your home of place of business and update your vehicle software for a small fee... :)

#6 ·
If the first big update is anything like other big updates that most of us have anticipated for a long time in other areas of our electronic lives I will be surprised if most of us see any huge improvements in our daily usage of CUE. The changes are usually made incrementally and are not game changers. I too am having very mixed results with the voice commands and my wife is having even worse. It's not that it doesn't work but that it's just so inconsistent. I wish there was a taped recording of words like they use in the Dragon voice recognition program so that CUE would have a sample of the owners voice and pronunciations on file. Codeman, is that possible?

#9 ·
I wish there was a taped recording of words like they use in the Dragon voice recognition program so that CUE would have a sample of the owners voice and pronunciations on file. Codeman, is that possible?
I'm not sure if this is possible, but one of the main reasons we don't use this type of voice recognition is that you have to be 100% sure of the person who is speaking, and that is very difficult to determine that reliably. If you pick the wrong person and start adapting to their speech, then you would probably degrade that experience for the other user.

In the vast majority of user testing that we've done, the speech recognition system has worked very well. The most common problems that people run into are 1. Speaking before the beep, and 2. Difficulty with navigation commands. For #1, the system hasn't begun listening until that beep is played, and so if you begin speaking before the beep, then it will only catch the last portion of what you said, and is likely not going to get it right. For #2, the main difficulty with that is because of the sheer size of the navigation databases, you first have to tell the system what type of destination you are looking for, and then can say what you need. Phone and Audio are not like that, you could just say 99.5 and it would most likely know that you want to tune, or say Julia, and it would think you want to call Julia.

Not sure if any of that will help, but from what we've seen and tested, once people understand those potential tripping points that it works pretty well. If you've got any particular examples that you see that work inconsistently, please let me know and I'll see if there's anything else I can recommend.

#8 ·
JDsCustom1 said:
SMS through Bluetooth is a limitation of the phone.. Ford sync had had that capability for a while and only certain phone can share text messages through Bluetooth.. Very few in reality. iPhone for sure being one that can NOT..
That is not correct. The iPhone does have MAP now as of iOS 6 so it is capable of SMS. CUE was supposed to have this capability according to the demo version and the user manual. For some reason it wasn't added to the production version.

#10 ·
I've never been able to get the voice recognition to work for me. I don't speak with an accent, either. I tried using voice POI for Crest Cadillac when I went to pick up my plates, nothing... Tried 'call Larry', all I get is 'Pardon?' ... I even tried 'Contacts > Larry' and she couldn't find it. Had to browse through contacts manually, and the entry was there. These are just recent examples, but aside from getting it to pull up an XM station once, it's never worked for me. After she says 'Pardon?' 3 times, I just give up and say 'Cancel'. Cue always gets that one right!

#12 ·
For the Points of Interest, it isn't able to recognize individual POI names like Crest Cadillac. However, it does recognize brand names, so you could say Cadillac, and then it will find all nearby Cadillac dealerships. For the contact name, is 'Larry' the full contact name, or is there a last name? You have to speak the whole name as it shows up in the list as it isn't able to split up the names into parts. One other thing to watch out for is if the system says a media device is initializing, that means it is still downloading and processing your phone contacts, and should be finished within 30 seconds or a minute, unless you happen to have a Blackberry, where this unfortunately takes longer.

#14 ·
Codeman1,

Did you slide past the part where this post started?
Are we looking at a very large upgrade that will be done overnight at a dealer?

Mike

Reactions: CDN XTS
#24 ·
You caught that, huh? :) Unfortunately I can't comment about this. I know there are multiple components that need to be updated in order to perform a CUE update. 12 hours seems a bit long to me, unless they are accounting any time for possible errors or retries or things of that nature, or possibly there are other software updates for other components not related to CUE that are going to be updated at the same time. I'm not really sure. I can't comment about timing of the update either as I haven't been directed to any specifics more than what I've seen on here already.

----------

Thanks for the clarification on the dealership name. I'll try it again next time I'm in that area (though, I no longer need directions!). The full contact name is "Larry", and there are no other Larry's in my contact list. For what it's worth, I have an Android and it looks like the contact list is fully loaded (I can browse through them on the DIC), but is it possible the voice translations aren't fully processed / initialized yet?

Regarding the initialization, no matter how long the car's been on, it seems like the first time I hit the voice button it says "Please Wait. Device Initializing", then immediately prompts for my input. Does it make you wait to prompt for input until it's initialized, or is it still going on in the background and this may be contributing to the problem? I do have an ipod with ~40 gigs of music plugged in behind the dash... That may be what it's always trying to initialize...
That's exactly what's going on then unfortunately. The system will index whichever is connected to the system first (music or Bluetooth) and once that is finished, it will move on to the next thing. So, if you do have a full 40GB of music, and you leave that connected to the car, that's going to begin immediately, and then once that finishes up it will move on to your phone. So unfortunately with the way the indexing happens, you would either need to wait for it to fully complete, or else connect your iPod to your vehicle after your phone has connected.

----------

I'll second that. Have a Verizon Galaxy nexus and it will literally always say "Device is initializing." What's weird is that the contacts are accessible via the DIC or CUE display. I've also have the "Recent Calls Not Available" show up. It works for a few days after pairing and then it starts doing that. To fix it I have to remove the link on each device and re-pair.
Yes, unfortunately that is a nasty bug that shows up sometimes (and we've fixed in the next software update) that the indexing process gets hung up and the only way to get around it is to unpair (delete device info from each other) and repair. Hopefully you don't have to put up with this for too terribly much longer :(.

----------

Using stock rom. Galaxy S2 will not show contacts when it links. The Galaxy S3 does show the contacts.
Something also to watch out for with Android devices is making sure you allow the contacts list to be downloaded by CUE. On my Droid 3, this message shows up in the notification bar along the top just after I pair. You only have a short window to authorize it as well or else it just disappears.

#15 ·
Voice command always replies with device is initializing when phone is recognized via bluetooth. Have about 50 contacts on the phone. Have driven for over an hour and voice command still results in device is initializing. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Same problem occurs with our Galaxy S2. Our cell phone carrier is ATT. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cannot use voice command to call a contact. System will not recognize the contact. Frustrated.

#16 ·
I'll second that. Have a Verizon Galaxy nexus and it will literally always say "Device is initializing." What's weird is that the contacts are accessible via the DIC or CUE display. I've also have the "Recent Calls Not Available" show up. It works for a few days after pairing and then it starts doing that. To fix it I have to remove the link on each device and re-pair.

#17 ·
Yeah, I tested more on the way home last night. Every time (not just the first - I guess I usually just give up and don't start over) I pressed the voice button during a 40 minute commute, it says Device Initializing, and I can't get it to recognize the names of any of my contacts. I'll try disconnecting the ipod next time and see if it continues.

Dan / Pete - are you guys using stock or third party ROMs?

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Codeman, Is the update going improve the GUI responsiveness at all? It seems like its a bit laggy sometimes particularly in the Nav mode where I find the pinch/zoom to be very slow. Im sure the HW is an issue here as well but I assume code optimization might help the overall response. Your using Linux and an open-source C compiler?

#32 ·
update is coming soon... dealers have not yet been advised but it will be a rolling (probably VIN based) update so the dealers do not get overwhelmed with cars needing update

this allows the dealers to provide a higher level of service (2013 cadillac loaner vehicle, etc) as the process supposedly fairly involved and is an all day (or more) endeavor

the final tweaks and testing are probably being done as we speak

touch response, overall speed and voice issues as well as many other bug fixes are rumored to be in this update

be patient it's coming soon

#38 ·
yes... some cars will have less updates some will have more ... it may take a few hours... it may take an overnight stay

i think owners will be getting a $50 cash card and a loaner

it will be rolled out slowly to make sure the dealers have enough loaners and nobody has to get an enterprise rental

#39 ·
This is an update to my original post (and the intended topic of this thread). I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue, and i asked about the status of the QUE update. He told me that it would not be until near the end of February. Owners will get an invitation as i mentioned before. As an owner you will get: A loaner car, a FULL tank of gas in your vehicle :) and a Visa gift card. Update time will depend on the version of QUE you are running (as i mentioned before).

#47 ·
When I read this post I wasn't sure how to take it. Is the full tank of gas and gift card a joke that went over my head or the real deal? If it's real, did it come from a reliable source? I'm just blown away about that. I just got of the phone with the service center for my local dealership about a cracked side view mirror which has taken freaking almost 3 weeks to go for some reason. I asked him about an upcoming CUE update. I he didn't get the memo. No knowledge of it. It was like I kicked him in the nuts when I mentioned 6-12 hours for each vehicle LOL.

#41 ·
I just wonder whether or not those "goodies" listed by pkadamec will be given to Canadian XTS owners, given we already pay more and do not get an iPad for these cars originating in Canada. LOL. May-be we should go after Microsoft and other software suppliers for a Visa gift card for all those OS and Apps fixes, ha, ha, ha. Can see the loaner car but the other goodies are pretty decent of GM in comparison. Well, there is the time involved to take and retrieve the car to and from the dealer and the putting up with problems prior to the fixes, but the latter applies to computer stuff too.

Well, to be fair, I must state that my dealer always drove me home and picked me up or, particularly, if I had to leave the car overnight and needing transportation for other reasons, I always received either a loaner car or a free rental from my dealer when taking in my previous STS, not to forget the free car washes after a service. So no complain about my dealer's service. The Canadian pricing and luck of an iPad are outside the dealers control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.