Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Allante problems

19K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  carnut 
#1 ·
Carnut has helped me so far. I just wanted to talk about the stuff about this car. I could get over the fan problem. Wire them direct iron a switch. Oil pressure sender = mechanical gauge I can live without abs. I'll just push harder. But I can't deal with it just stalling for no reason at about 50mph. Speedo will blink 244 mph then go down If you don't stop and take back off from park to drive the trans must be in safe mode. I have done a total tune up. Plugs, wires,cap,rotor,ignition module,coil , fuel filter. My old 71 eldo conv will take me anywhere I want To go with less problems & lots more joy

----------

Wow I sound like a little cry baby!!!! Just making me crazy

#2 ·
This ABS system if not working, will prevent stopping regardless of the pressure you apply! A replacement mechanical oil gauge wont keep your fuel pump running if that's whats causing the stalling. Would be a good idea to clean the smaller primary throttle bore in the throttle body as a next step. Remove the intake hose. Figure a way to keep the throttle wide open Vice grips, screwdriver? Then spray the bore and blade with brakekleen and an old toothbrush. DO NOT clean the larger bore, you can damage the TPS! Read the new post here regarding "see what happens when the ABS fails!!!

#5 ·
Yep! When you turn the key on you should hear the ABS pump buzz from under hood. After about 10 seconds it should quit. Then start the car. Assuming everything ABS related works, the light should be off. The common issue with this system is the electric pump on the driver inner fender. Go to allantesource.com and read the diagnostic thread on the ABS. I bought my second Allante

because that pump failed and the guy's wife sailed thru a 4 way stop! She told him, "I don't care if you say its fixed, I'll never drive that car again" Also the hose from the pump to the Master cylinder can burst leaving you with no brakes! Its very important to flush the fluid every 2 years at a minimum!

#7 ·
No other Cads, but Chrysler used it with a different electrical plug on New Yorkers and Imperials around the same time. On My second Allante I bought a "rebuilt" pump and it turned on but was weak and the light stayed on. I finally got one from a low mileage wreck. There is also a relay that provides power to the pump located on the inner fender behind the tank just behind the passenger headlight. Its the larger of the relays there. That relay is Allante specific and almost impossible to find new.

#11 ·
I guess with a credit card, anything can be fabbed! Just never have seen a retrofit on an Allante. With a clean hydraulic system, new hose from pump to master, the system is relatively trouble free. I'm pretty sure a hydraulic hose shop could make a new hose with your end fittings.

#12 ·
That's true. You should probably know that I am a cheapskate and all but one of my caddies are a POS. it's just overwhelming the problems one after another . If I can't fix them , they usually won't be fixed. "Just the way I am" The allantes being in the close to POS categories . They might be better for parts. Who knows. I'm in western Ky if anyone wanted to look at them , both tops and clear titles

#15 ·
I just picked up a used master from an eBay seller and had it installed and the system completely bleed of old fluid. All is well and stopping is what you might call "on a dime."

If you hear the pump run when you turn the key to on and it shuts off after pressurizing I would look to the accumulator or the master and accumulator.

Lots of minor fixes can be accomplished if you have the service manual. They are an interesting engineering feat even for Cadillac back in the day.

#18 ·
I will say again. The pump can run and still be weak! You or someone needs to simply check if you have power into the relay and do you have power to the hydraulic pump. Did you read the allante source tutorial on the brake diagnosis? FATRAT, I cannt reply to your PM. clear your phone of messages!!!

#20 ·
The ABS pump relay is under the HOOD!!! behind the coolant tank just behind the passenger headlight. Largest of the 3. Remove the coolant bottle to gain access AFTER you confirm no power to the pump. There is no access to the fuel pump thru the trunk. Car ideally on a hoist and use a transmission jack to lower it. My PM said your phone was full. Would not accept messages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.