Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Do Magnetic Ride shock units wear out or go bad?

60K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  dkozloski 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 STS 1SG with Magnetic Ride (Delphi MagneRide suspension control system) shocks. In my following of the forum I have not seen the answer to my question, which is, do the Magnetic Ride Shocks wear out or go bad? If they do go bad, is there a reason or timeline? If they need replacing off warranty, any idea of the cost of each? Do they have to be done in pairs like regular struts or shocks?

Thank you for your answers in advance. :bouncy:

#3 ·
I have the F55 suspension in my C6 Corvette, which is basically magnetic ride control. This has been discussed in-depth on the Corvette forums, and everything I have read says the system is extremely reliable and not prone to fail or have problems. It is expensive to replace should it fail--about $1500.

#19 ·
Actually its about the same cost to repair on the Germans
Mercedes Benz airmatic is about the same repair costs

However....what you might consider using the Lincoln Mark 8 mentioned here as an example

In a car that is worth lets say $4000 the average person cannot or will not invest $4000 into fixing the suspension

Case in point..how many Lincoln do you see that are "low -riders"..or how many Cadillacs from say the late 90 to early 2000 with the suspension warning lights on along with the check engine light

If the Benz airmatic goes out it gives the same "low rider" scene as the Lincoln...but when the car is worth 20-30K it probably has a better chance of being repaired

Warren

#12 ·
I made a couple of work related trips to Ann Arbor, Michigan and I couldn't believe how bad the roads were in the rust belt. Some of the most heavily traveled freeways and expressways had concrete paving that had been scabbed over with asphalt that had broken up and left an unreal collection of potholes. These would go on for miles and miles. I took the time to find alternate routes on less traveled/less damaged roads and found I made a lot better time. Whoever was in charge of road repair should have been hung by his gentitalia and sand packed in his @ss until the rope broke.

#14 ·
Michigan has the worst roads ever, period. The state is about to go broke, literally. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...6/POLITICS/709260399&theme=Metro-State-Budget
Alaska has a $40 Billion savings account and returns the earnings to the residents of the state. This year the checks to every man, woman, and child will be $1654. It goes to show what government can do for you if you know how. When Michigan was riding the gravey train they could have invested the money rather than pissing it away on welfare to people that won't work.

#20 ·
Although it's an interesting and advanced system on paper, steer clear of it on a used car unless you have a totally unlimited warranty that truly covers it. It's always interesting to watch what GM employess will buy as their own personal cars and magnaride is never one of them. Since the 3.6 DI came out, N* is another one to stay away from.

#21 ·
LOL..that's interesting

I have always thought Magride was one of those deals that sounded great on paper but never really seemed to add a whole lot in practice

Trouble is that its bundled in such a s way that you cannot get a fully optioned car without it

before I had the 05 ..I owned an 02 with Magride..and before that an 01 Aurora 4.0

I will tell you other than some body roll control the 02 with Magride wasn't a whole letter better handling than the Aurora with some generic Monroe replacement strut and shock replacements....especially whn you conder the replacement Monroe's cost about $1000( parts and labor) and the same job on the STS would have been $4000

Was the STS better..yes....but maybe to the tune of a $1500 total price...not $4000
I traded the 02 before i thought it was time to do any suspension work...I was not going to pay $4000 for suspension work on a $4000 car

Warren

#22 ·
I was gonna come on here to ask this question yesterday. I'm currently driving a rental 2010 Buick Lacrosse and I realize its brand new and all but how much smoother should it be than my 05 STS? I realized when going over the same bumps I always go over coming home from work (which are pretty bad) and barely feeling them in the Lacrosse. In my STS I actually slow almost to a stop over these spots because it feels like I'm gonna kill the rims. And I have the stock 17's on it nothing crazy.

#23 ·
I don't think you'd damage the 17" wheels unless you've fitted very low-profile tires (30-series or less). As far as ride, you're comparing GM's attempts to target the markets of BMW & Lexus (or thereabouts). That's more of a contrast than a comparison.

#24 ·
I have a 2006 sts with magnetic ride suspension. I just replaced the 2 front shocks and the upper control arms ( only because the upper shock mounts are attached to the upper control arms ). I did all the work myself and it wasnt very hard. Everything just unbolted fine. The only thing that was an issue was switching the spings from the old shocks to the new ones. I brought it to a local mechanic shop and they only charged me 90 bucks to switch the springs. I bought the oem replacment shocks from rockauto .com. they were $ 350 each which isnt bad. I hope this helps.

#27 ·
Researching for my future replacement but considering modifying the oem F55. Does anyone know if the computer control to shocks changes the voltage - amperage or is it like the fuel injectors (pulse width) ? Has anyone looked at this signal with an oscilloscope? Thanks in advance

#29 ·
Have fun. It's an incredibly dynamic voltage/current signal to magnetic coils around the strut/shock fluid orifice - that signal changes the viscosity of the ferrous fluid instantly, from 10W oil to hard jelly and back, in less than .001 second.

The F55 system uses inputs from over a dozen sensors to control the suspension. There are inputs for vehicle speed, wheel speed, engine power, transmission gear, torque output, body roll, pitch, yaw, steering wheel position, actual turn radius, desired turn radius, brake application, others.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gm+lord+delphi+magnetorheological+suspension+system

#28 ·
This is a super old thread and probably worth starting your own new thread, especially since your question doesn't really relate to the original topic. But short answer, yes, the signal does change depending on the degree of damping the ESC module deems is necessary.

#31 ·
Have 2017 CTS Premium Lux with magnetic suspension. 42k miles. Rear shock(s) went out. Have extended warranty and was told that this is a wear item and not covered. Replacement for both was about $1650 or so. They never suggested replacing only one of them. In fact, they indicated that they may have to replace both front struts if replacing the rears don't improve the incredibly hard riding suspension that I have before they made repairs. They indicated the rears should be replaced first because at least one of them was leaking and I guess the front struts were not.

The repairs are in progress right now.......

Based on the technology behind these shocks, it seems like if only one is bad, just replace that one rather than both. I wonder if anyone has a thought on just replacing only one if only one is defective.
I always tell my wife, "two people can live as cheaply as one, ..... for only half as long".

#33 ·
They wear out in several ways: leaking magnetic fluid, corrosion of the shaft or piston, short or change in the magnetic electrical loops ( that change the viscosity of the fluid). The rear air magnetic shocks on my STS seem to collect water which corrodes and freezes the shaft. After that happens, it rides like it has no suspension at all = very rough and hard. Maybe I should replace the dehydrator package at the air pump. Good Luck

#34 ·
I have a 2006 STS 1SG with Magnetic Ride (Delphi MagneRide suspension control system) shocks. In my following of the forum I have not seen the answer to my question, which is, do the Magnetic Ride Shocks wear out or go bad? If they do go bad, is there a reason or timeline? If they need replacing off warranty, any idea of the cost of each? Do they have to be done in pairs like regular struts or shocks? Thank you for your answers in advance. :bouncy:
GM magnetic shocks DO GO "BAD"! I am currently replacing my 4th, 2017 corvette zo6, 95,000 miles.

#35 ·
Magnetic shocks contain a mixture of light oil and fine iron powder. The oil leaks out of the cylinder and what remains is the powdered iron which at this point is almost solid. When you replace the shocks, the difference in ride qualities is startling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.