Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2004 SRX V6 AWD poor MPG

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tonygxp 
#1 ·
My 2004 V6 AWD SRX has started to get real bad gas mileage within the past 6 months. I use mid-grade fuel (87) and always get recommended maintenance done. My mileage is at 52K.

I know this vehicle only gets 16-22 gas mileage but I've only been getting about 13.

Any suggestions?

My next step is to get a diagnostic done.

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Is your air filter clean? Could it be Winter gas causing the mileage to go down? I'm surprised you get the mileage you posted. Especially with the AWD models having the 3.91 gears. 15-22 is pretty good.
I'd take it in for a diagnostic if you can rule out the gas being the issue.
have you used gas that contains no ethanol?

#4 ·
I need to go back and see what the ethanol content is up my way. It was 10% by volume as printed on the pump a few weeks ago, and ethanol by definition provides poorer gas mileage. I agree with the others. Try the easy stuff first.

The gas: 87 is regular, not midgrade, the lowest octane available in my neck of the woods, and is the grade you are using. 89 is midgrade. And my V8 recommends 93 though it can run on a lower octane, pretty sure. Using a higher octane than what is recommended will do nothing to increase fuel economy.

The lower tire pressure, a dirty air filter, and cleaner injector will all contribute marginally to fuel economy.

Put those five things together and you may be relieved within a week! Then the mileage will put you with the rest of us......the SRX is no Honda Civic, a thirsty beast.

Jack

#5 ·
With all 3 of my SRXs low tire pressure will kill gas mileage. easily a 1mpg loss if they are ar 26 lbs or so. My last 2 SRXs were delivered with less than 27lbs of air. One of them i drove for several months with the pressures like that.
Took one of them on the tail of the Dragon and was wondering why it was understeering so much. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.