Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The V was hit today

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Trapspeed 
#1 ·
My wife's V was rear ended today. She was waiting for a light and this woman in an old suv couldn't stop and attempted to pass on the right. her left front wheel hit the right rear of the car and the rear tire. It broke the A arm on the suv.

The V seems to only have sheet metal and plastic damage. I drove it and it seems fine. I will take it to the body shop tomorrow to see what the damages will be.

My wife is sore but otherwise unhurt. She is bummed about her car. It only has about 6000 miles on it. She has already had the chrome all blacked out and the windows tinted. She loves that car.

#3 ·
I went through this with my V sedan a few years ago. I was rear ended, with my then 3-year-old in the car, by an inattentive driver on his cell phone. Damage was light but I made the guy pay for it by pointing out the phone to the cop and causing an extra citation for the driver. Worst part, it was a Lexus that had Bluetooth. If you're too dumb or lazy to at least hook your phone to Bluetooth, don't f-ing use your cellphone and drive. Grrrrr.....

Sorry to read of your experience.

#14 ·
My '11 Vagon, which I purchased from an out of state dealer via the Internet, arrived with the front end damaged, due to negligence by the transport company. It was 7 weeks of sheer Hell trying to get all parties in sync and pay for everything. The good part is, I got four new wheels out of it. Anyway, I tried to submit a claim first through my insurance company (later handled by the carrier's insurance company) and brought up diminished resale value. In the end, they told me that this basically only applied to vehicles that experienced damage to the frame, or otherwise damage that could possibly require a salvage license. Not wanting to just take their word at face value, I consulted an attorney and he substantiated what they said. I still don't think it is right, because if a potential buyer can ever come across the repair work done on your vehicle, even if it it didn't cause structural damage, they may try to negotiate a lower price nonetheless.

#9 ·
Going through this right now. Inattentive chick hit me in a neighborhood at full speed while I was stopping. I was soooooo thankful I was rolling the perfect Avalanche, not my Caddy. Im going through Diminished Value with the Insurance to get this right... Their first offer was $40...

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that bud. Glad she's ok. Cars can be repaired.

I went through this with my V sedan a few years ago. I was rear ended, with my then 3-year-old in the car, by an inattentive driver on his cell phone. Damage was light but I made the guy pay for it by pointing out the phone to the cop and causing an extra citation for the driver. Worst part, it was a Lexus that had Bluetooth. If you're too dumb or lazy to at least hook your phone to Bluetooth, don't f-ing use your cellphone and drive. Grrrrr.....

Sorry to read of your experience.
How'd you stop yourself from beating the sh*t outta him?

I don't have that kind of restraint.

#12 ·
Well it will run about $7800 to fix the V. The explorer that hit it is a total.

The upper control arm on the right rear is slightly tweaked putting the wheel out of alignment. If it is going to be a wait for the rest of the parts, I will have them put the control arm in it do the alignment, and I will pick it up and drive it until the parts come in.

#13 ·
Some good is coming from this. My wife had already had the chrome painted, front end, window trim, rear trunk latch, etc. Then she had the windows tinted. She had now wanted to have the wheels done, but didn't know how to pull that off.

The guys at the body shop were very helpful. This is the same shop that did the blackout. They took all of the wheels off, and removed the tires and sensors. My wife will pick up the wheels on Monday and taking them to the powder coater. She will have them back in three days.

To top this off, the right rear wheel had been scratched in the accident, and there was a charge to refinish it. That charge will cover the power coating.

Really look forward to getting it back. We are reduced to driving both vettes :)

#15 ·
I don't buy cars as investments. I buy them to enjoy. I hit a coyote with my C5 vette and did about $3700 worth of damage to it. It was fixed by the same shop that is doing the Cad. It is flawless. I don't care about carfax. When I go to sell that car, I will get what I want for it. Same with the Cad if she ever decides to sell it.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't purchase a vehicle as a financial investment, in which the primary motivation is how much money I'll get back if/when I sell it. But I do take very, very good care of any vehicle I have owned. The biggest problem I have are others who are careless around your vehicle, such as the door dingers and such. I do park quite a distance away to minimize this from happening, but that also causes some people to occasionally still park next to me, even though there are many open spaces around, and much closer. I've talked to some people who have done so, just to ask, "Why?", and I usually get a sheepish laugh and an admission that they just wanted to mess with me. You'd think people would have more productive use of their time rather than intentionally provoking someone. If I want to park a football field length's away from everyone, so what? I'm not saying I'm any better than you, I am just particular about how I take care of my possessions. And that has nothing to do with anyone else, nor is it anyone else's business.

#17 ·
If the upper control arm on the right rear was tweaked did you demand that the car be put on a frame machine and measured? When my first V was hit in the rear, the frame sheet made the decision for me. Who wants a vehicle that would take an estimated 10 hours of "frame" pulls. Don't do anything until a qualified Cadillac dealer can verify the integrity of the "frame".
-----------------------------------------------------------
Well it will run about $7800 to fix the V. The explorer that hit it is a total.

The upper control arm on the right rear is slightly tweaked putting the wheel out of alignment. If it is going to be a wait for the rest of the parts, I will have them put the control arm in it do the alignment, and I will pick it up and drive it until the parts come in.

#19 ·
SUV's: The biggest threat to nice cars. I stay away from them and avoid being anywhere near them. I HATE those things. SUV's began the downfall of automobile. They serve one purpose... to fit FAT People into to get to Mc D's. I'll drive a minivan way before I drive one. People drive SUV's like they are corvettes thinking they will stop on a dime and handle high speeds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.