Cadillac Owners Forum banner

RHD gas filler door

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Wayne's World 
#1 ·
It seems that I have seen pictures of a RHD CTS where the gas filler door is located on what we would call the drivers side rear quarter. If this is accurate, it seems like a lot of trouble but perhaps there is a reason for it. Can someone with a RHD model confirm this. Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. Europe, with the except of the UK/British Isles, drive on the same side as we do, which mean LHD vehicles.
Only in the UK/British Isles do they drive on the left side of the road, which means RHD for vehicles there.
I have never seen photos of a RHD 2nd gen CTS where the fuel filler door is located any different than where it is on a North American or European (mainland) LHD CTS. Below are photos of a couple of 2008 CTS's built for the UK (RHD vehicles), which clearly show the fuel filler door on the right side of the car, not on the left.

#8 ·
Fuel tanks can no longer be placed at the rear of the car (allowing rear gas doors) because lawyers made it expensive to do so when vehicles were hit in the rear and burned, ultimately leading to safety regulation of fuel tanks. The filler opening is on the right because that is where the shoulder of the road is located that the driver stands on, when refueling an empty gas tank - also due to law suits over drivers exposed to traffic under those conditions.

#15 ·
In `75/76 Pinto fatalities(310) were lower than Corolla(313) / Beetle(374)/ Datsun (405)
Rear end fires comprised .6% of the Pinto fatalities which was lower than average for the sub compact category
Google Pinto Myth and read the Rutgers Law Review of the whole debacle

#16 ·
Douglas Rome said:
this might sound goofy, but Linda has a hard time lining up to the pump. sometimes she says she has to get back in and move. why the heck is the door on the passenger side? in the old days some gm cars had the door on the middle back under the license pl;ate. thanks, douglas
She seriously can't get close enough on the first try? Wow, I sure hope she doesn't pull into a parking spot next to me! Scary!

#18 ·
...or the license plate.

Neat story about that license plate being on a spring. Back when we were in our cars raising hell, well, back when we didn't even give a damn about raising hell I should say, my buddy had a gas cap under his plate which was held in place by a spring loaded hinge. He would clip off some parts of the spring to loosen it up so when he hit the hammer the plate would fall down making it unable to be read of course. When we were, ummm, escaping certain people then they could not take our plate number. Never got busted over that.

#23 ·
It doesn't matter to me which side it's on but I wish they were all on the same side. I would make it a lot easier at crowded gas stations if all the cars were going it the same direction. Here in NJ it would save the attendants a few steps if they were on the left side though.

In the fifties & sixties the fill pipes were hidden in all kinds of places. Probably one of the neatest was the Cadillacs where the left taillight flipped up to reveal the cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.