Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Additional cooling fans???

3K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  Aztec ETC ECS 
#1 ·
Another crazy idea from superlac...

Just want to add 2fans to the circuit but i know theres a parallel / series deal going on in there somehow...

Can anyone tell me how to just add the two fans as part of the same circuit TO THE 2 THAT ARE IN THERE???????????

#4 ·
reaching 230*/239* quite quickly even with coolant right

in front of radiator so even when im at Red lights not moving its getn cool air flow

----------

1 - More is better.

2 - Cut holes in hood, mount fans. Hot air extraction.

:hide:
Come on bro, really??? ...

maybe if i had a hood that i could experiment on and the fans were covered by air scoops

Can i jus get,

Hey superlac, connect fan 3 to fan X, and Fan 4 to Fan X and ground here or there????

I know yall understand this Parallel / Series thing, EDUCATE ME !!!

#6 ·
Electrical is not my thing super lac.

----------

Your stock fans do just that. They PULL air through the radiator. It's the equivalent (correct spelling) if driving at ~25/30 MPH or so.
OK, BUT when i'm stopped the temp is reaching 230*/239* quite quickly even with coolant right... i got the Stock Fans working again so they're doing their job but its not enough unless i'm moving at 30 mph or more

i Need more airflow at the stop points, red lights, stop signs, etc

#11 ·
Yes sir

----------

-------------------------------
your PRIMARY cause of overheating is your blown head gaskets -
NOT lack of airflow through the radiator -

unless you remove the AC condenser -
there isn't room to put additional fans in front of the radiator -
you would have to put them in front of the condenser -
but I doubt there is room there either -

if you DID figure out how to mount them -
unless they are a much higher volume fan -
they would probably block the airflow - and REDUCE the actual cooling -
---------------------

with all that being said - to wire 2 additional fans in "unison" -
you would have to use new relays -
so the existing wiring wouldn't be overloaded -
Ah, Crap!!!
I cant ever get an idea to work on this cadillac...:helpless:

#12 ·
Remember, the cooling system only works if coolant is flowing. The coolant flows through the block and heads, "picking up" and "carrying away" heat. Then it goes through the radiator, and the heat is transferred into the fins, and carried away from the air flowing through it.

HG issues allow super heated gasses into the cooling system. The water pump cannot pump air.

You could submerge the radiator in ice water, but with low/no flow, the engine would still overheat.

#14 ·
Well, i haven't had a coolant purge in weeks... since the last overheat...

Maybe i need to check the water pump to see if its rusted up by now and not turning good... its been dealing with distilled water for a year now so maybe its time for a replacement, might as well change the thermostat again too

#29 ·
Submariner409 said:
Engine coolant temperature has exactly nothing to do with "burning up piston rings".

SUPER LAC, If no other Seville/Deville/Eldorado needs 4 cooling fans and constant fan operation, why does yours ?? If the engine is overheating due to head gasket failure the ONLY way to stop that heating is to repair the engine. If it is overheating due to cooling system flow or mechanical problems, the ONLY way to fix that is to repair the problem(s).

Throwing fans at it will NOT cure the overheating problems.

Back in other threads of your problems with this car - didn't ypu dump in some sort of "stop leak" or other goop ? If you did, due to the nature of the Northstar cooling system, there's a very good chance that many small coolant passages/holes are now clogged up, contributing to the overheating. You don't need more fans at a stop light - you need to repair the car.

Two 10" pusher fans, brackets, wiring, remote switching and proper installation would cost at least $200+. better to fix the basic problem.
Yea
I know the Blue Devil was a mistake

Guess all I can do is pray for it to hold out 8 to 10months

#30 ·
Wow its sad you are trashing a nice caddie like that. Eight months is a long time to drive it like that . Sorry but I can see no reason to keep that car on the road untill you get it fixed. I know money is tight but a simple repair even though costly would be cheaper than what's in store once you seize that engine up for good.

When it leaves you on the side of the road are you just going junk her out...I would find I cheap junk car to get by with untill you can give that caddie the care it needs and deserves

#32 ·
Good luck. Just saying even depending on camel mode all that daily over heating can not be good on the motor. Heat breaks down the oil etc etc ...that tranny must be taking a beating too .

Driving a car to the point it goes in to fail safe mode almost daily is not what the manafuctre had in mind when they built the system..

Its a shame you can not just park it and find a cheap car to get around in..

Heck I would give you a grand for the car just to fix it up. I still think the 95-99 devilles where the best looking caddies .

Its just sad that you choose to drive it in the ground instead of parking it untill you can find the funds.

Bottom line is you have a nice car that you can not afford to fix .. what happens when something else breaks on the car .

#36 ·
------------------
if he doesn't have the money to fix this car right now -
I doubt he has the money to buy another car -

the "damage" is already done - he needs a different motor -
it still runs and is drivable -
why NOT continue driving it 'til it completely stops -
what is the difference?

what do YOU recommend -

a bicycle built for THREE?

maybe YOU could GIVE him a car to use for a while -

or maybe YOU could just drive him around where ever he needs to go -

sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do -

#35 ·
dusty256 said:
Heck I would give you a grand for the car just to fix it up.
I paid 3k for it
Within 2months put another 2k into it
Over the past year, about another 2k
About to put 3k jus for the HG repair

$1,000 seems an insult to the work I've put into this car jus repairing the neglect from the previous 9owners and keeping it alive

Y'all read some couple paragraphs of what I'm trying to do to continue with some "Bandaids" to keep it on the road until i get it fixed and all y'all say is I'm destroying my car

Well I apologize if I'm not well off enough to spend $3,000 in a day for a repair and I apologize if my meager income offends your senses

But with every dollar I've been able to Spare, I've put into this car rebuilding and repairing as I can

All these problems aren't new, I didn't create any of them...

I BOUGHT THEM FROM SOMEONE ELSE

Appreciate the comments on what a horrible job I'm doing, keep up the good work

Thanks

#37 ·
You have already spent $4000 on a $3000 car and are about to spend another $3000. That's $10,000 for a '98, which KBB values at $900 trade-in and $1600 retail in very good condition ( I guessed at 150,0000 miles). At some point you have to cut your losses, move on and put that money towards another car, but when to do that is something only you can decide.

#38 ·
Ranger said:
You have already spent $4000 on a $3000 car and are about to spend another $3000. That's $10,000 for a '98, which KBB values at $900 trade-in and $1600 retail in very good condition ( I guessed at 150,0000 miles). At some point you have to cut your losses, move on and put that money towards another car, but when to do that is something only you can decide.
Not sure what KBB has to do with repairing or rebuilding

Tho your Math is horrible, ill spend another 10k jus to keep it... FOREVER

Yea, I bought a car for more than it was worth According to some print on a page, and investing in its rebuild or repair will again exceed that value, According to that print on a page???

Jus don't see the connection you're making to the goal I'm pursuing

But thanks for trying :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.