Hey guys,
I'm looking for your opinions on my best course of action. My 87 DeVille has been totaled and I should be getting around $5k for the car from the insurance company.
I've been thinking of getting an Eldorado with a straight body and a well kept interior, then possibly getting a N* crate motor. I've found N* crate motors for around $4k. These of course are modded to avoid the head gasket and heating problems inherent with the N*.
Another thought is to go with a newer DeVille (2000-05) and replace the engine. They're ridiculously cheap, anywhere from $2-$3k.
OR go with an older DeVille and possibly putting in a rebuilt 4.9. I haven't found much in the way of 4.9 crate engines but can find a rebuilt one or low miles one (with a 1 year warranty) for under $2k.
Basically, I'm wondering if I should go with a 4.9L powered car, or the N* powered cars. I know 4.9's are generally more reliable but if the N* crate motors have supposedly fixed the big issues and come with a 3 year warranty then I should be in the clear right?
With the insurance money and some cash saved up, I'm looking to keep it under $8k total.
So, what would you do with that money?