64 cadillac 429 thermostat, and other questions.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, 64 cadillac 429 thermostat, and other questions. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello! I just got my 64 Cadillac series 62 2 door hardtop, I traded my 74 coupe deville for it. ...
    casual dreamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 cadillac series 62 2 door hardtop

64 cadillac 429 thermostat, and other questions.

Hello! I just got my 64 Cadillac series 62 2 door hardtop, I traded my 74 coupe deville for it. What I was wondering is what temp thermostat should I run? The engine has been fully rebuilt, has never been started. What else should I do? Prime the oil system? I am a mecanic but I have only had 1 rebuilt motor and that is my simple 327 small chevy! How are your expieriences with the 64 429? I had a 65 coupe deville years ago with a 429 but I know its not the Same as the 64 motor. Sorry for so many questions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 64 cadillac 429 thermostat, and other questions.

180 thermostat. You say never been started, how long has it sat? If its just a few days, then I would crank it over with the coil wire off till the oil light goes out, then reconnect the coil and start it and keep it on a fast idle 15 minutes or so to seat the lifters to the cam. Be ready with the radiator full and an extra gallon of coolant nearby to top off once the thermostat opens. Watch for oil and coolant leaks. And make sure its close on static timing. The cranking over with the coil disconnected should also fill the carb so there shouldn't be much delay to fire up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.