1965 deVille Convertible - 429 engine rebuild downunder
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, 1965 deVille Convertible - 429 engine rebuild downunder in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I've just imported a 1965 Cadillac deville Convertible into Australia from the US for my own use, unfortunately the ...
    frankn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 Coupe de Ville Convertible

1965 deVille Convertible - 429 engine rebuild downunder

Hi, I've just imported a 1965 Cadillac deville Convertible into Australia from the US for my own use, unfortunately the car wasn't as it was described and it needs an engine rebuild, the engine number is F5190880, and I believe it has the original transmission, its either a Turbo 350 or 400, I can't get any specs on what its really is over here.
    My concern now is that no one over here (that i can find) seems to know anything about these 429 engines, and when I do some research, for example on various US websites, there is much more information on the 472 & 500 engines, this concerns me a bit - have i bought the wrong car?
    Should i have bought something a couple of years newer with a 472 or 500? - although its too late now, I love this '65 caddy, I love it's shape and everything about it so I will persevere to get it going right - can you help me with some advice on how not to make a mistake in getting this engine rebuilt, I do have a good guy who has a great machine shop and engine rebuilding business, he's been around doing this for over 25 years and says he is happy to work with me to get this engine rebuilt right, however he is mainly experienced in older Chevys.. - what guidance can any of you give so we can get this done right the first time.
    Thanking you in advance.

Frank Nardone

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aussiejohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964

Re: 1965 deVille Convertible - 429 engine rebuild downunder

Frank,

I know that this is 18 months old, but I'm new on the Forum. I bought a 1964 Cadillac when in California last November (2013) and am having it repaired before shipping to Melbourne. The original 429 engine was seized, so a good running second hand engine was sourced and fitted. The original engine was shipped to Melbourne last month and arrives tomorrow (April 26 2014) so I should have it by next weekend. In the meantime, I have been reading up on these engines and have found quite a bit of useful information from a number of sources and would be happy to pass it on to you. You can contact me at john@allvet.com.au or 03 9502 3227. Tell me the state of your car now, I'd like to know how you got on.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.