Swap 429 with chevolet engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, Swap 429 with chevolet engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello there, I live in Holland (Europe) so sorry for the English. I own a Calais from 1965 with a ...
    Sniper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille convertibel 1967 and Calais 1965

Swap 429 with chevolet engine

Hello there,

I live in Holland (Europe) so sorry for the English.
    I own a Calais from 1965 with a 429ci and the th400 automatic gearbox.
    it is hard to get engine parts and the are very expensive in Holland. Because my engine is not working fine I want to swap the engine with a Chevrolet engine because the are cheaper over here and there are a lot of spare part and performance parts for that.

Is it possible to swap the engine and leave the th400 ?
    what do I need to do this, can someone please tel me how to do this swap an please send me pictures if you have them.

if it is not possible please tell me what engine to use in a 65 Calais with a th400

Jean-Pierre

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Re: Swap 429 with chevolet engine

The bolt pattern on your TH400 is different than Chevy. I believe there are adapters available to use your 400 with a Chevy though. Maybe an online search would turn up a source. The other alternative is a TH400 made for a Chevy, but the tail shaft length would have to be the same as yours.
    The 400 came in three tail shaft lengths, 4", 9", and 13".
    The next alternative would be using a Buick, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile engine, which has the bolt pattern to match your 400.

Sniper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille convertibel 1967 and Calais 1965

Re: Swap 429 with chevolet engine

thnx steeybill

I have a other question about those Buick, Pontiac and Oldsmobile engine, do the fit right in ?
    the gearbox will stay on place so that is good but will the engine connect to the gearbox or do I have to change the engine room ?
    do you know witch engine types to use ?

Jean-Pierre

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.