429 Water Pump?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, 429 Water Pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Okay, so my 429 has a pretty significant coolant leak. It appears to be coming from around the water pump, ...
    rjgeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Cadillac Sedan Deville

429 Water Pump?

Okay, so my 429 has a pretty significant coolant leak. It appears to be coming from around the water pump, so I'm going to be replacing some parts. Namely the water pump, hoses, and thermostat.

My question is, there appear to be two options for water pumps on this engine. A 1 Inlet and 2 Inlet design. Is the difference as obvious as it sounds? My water pump only has a single hose coming into it from the radiator, so I'm guessing I have a 1 Inlet design?

Also, replacing the water pump will only replace the inlet, and impeller right? There is a whole routing system which appears to be maybe part of the timing cover, that runs coolant up to the upper hose/thermostat and into the cylinder heads. I presume this is another assembly, and not part of the water pump?

Anyone know what that assembly is called? I have a factory service manual headed to me in the mail, but don't have it yet so I'm flying a bit blind here.

I want to try to replace all the parts which might be causing the leak, and I strongly suspect the aformentioned assembly might be to blame.

Thanks 429 gurus! :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

05devilledave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville, 1967 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 429 Water Pump?

There is a crossover tube that goes from head to the next. It is only connected to the water pump by an o-ring type seal that presses into the top of the water pump. This tube also houses your thermostat. I have a 67 Fleetwood with climate control and it has the 2 inlet water pump, although the 2nd inlet is just plugged off with a short hose and a plug. If yours has a hose at the 10 oclock position on the pump, looking at it face to face, then its a 2 inlet. If its plugged, or simply absent, then buy a 1 inlet. I bet your leak is either the "o-ring" between the water pump and crossover tube. Or the pump is bad and weeping. Any more questions, let me know. I just finished tearing down my 429 and put in new valve guides. So Ive had this baby apart and know how it goes.

pyroman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): I did own a 1965 Sedan Deville, 1969 Deville convertible

Hi all,
    I am looking for a water pump for my 65 deville, where can i get one from, bearing in mind that im in the UK, any ideas would be great.
    David

rjgeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Cadillac Sedan Deville

David,

I could only find mine on eBay, I couldn't seem to find any other source. Local parts stores which showed them in their parts catalog weren't actually able to order it. They did offer to send my original in for rebuild, but it was cheaper and quicker to just buy the new cast iron one online.

I know my reply comes many months late, I hope you were able to find a solution!

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman View Post
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a water pump for my 65 deville, where can i get one from, bearing in mind that im in the UK, any ideas would be great.
    David

creepingdeath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 67 Coupe DeVille & 06 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by 05devilledave View Post
    There is a crossover tube that goes from head to the next. It is only connected to the water pump by an o-ring type seal that presses into the top of the water pump. This tube also houses your thermostat. I have a 67 Fleetwood with climate control and it has the 2 inlet water pump, although the 2nd inlet is just plugged off with a short hose and a plug. If yours has a hose at the 10 oclock position on the pump, looking at it face to face, then its a 2 inlet. If its plugged, or simply absent, then buy a 1 inlet. I bet your leak is either the "o-ring" between the water pump and crossover tube. Or the pump is bad and weeping. Any more questions, let me know. I just finished tearing down my 429 and put in new valve guides. So Ive had this baby apart and know how it goes.
    Wondering if you could provide some info on that O ring between the pump and crossover. I have replaced that O ring in my '67 Deville and it leaked like crazy. I tried to seal it up with some form-a-gasket but it eventually starts leaking again. The O ring I bought works for sh*t and is there a different style of O ring, ie: thicker, that could seal better? When I fit the crossover into the top of the pump, there seems to be a lot of play/wiggle room. Seems it should be a tighter fit. Just a bad design all around.

hardlucktattoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 cadillac convertible

I'm having the same problem does anyone have a idea or part number for the right water pump and the right size oring and What they used to seal it from leaking

Sixty_five is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 coupe

I'm having this same issue with the "o ring". Anyone have a fix?

Sixty_five is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 coupe

Anyone????

SweetZRag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Superior Hearse

I am having the same O-ring leak problem. I had my original water pump rebuilt and am using the same parts again so I know they are correct. They were not sealed so an original replacement O-ring should work. The replacement O-ring sent by Cardone is leaking badly. I am taking it apart again and replacing it with an O-ring made by Felpro. Does anybody know what is happening here? If the Felpro does not work, where do we get the correct size O-ring? Does anyone have a "trick" to seal this O-ring?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.