Excessive LS2 Head Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, Excessive LS2 Head Noise in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; A friend of mine just bought a '07 z51 vette that has some serious noise and idle issues. Since we ...
    Unkie Barrels is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Excessive LS2 Head Noise

A friend of mine just bought a '07 z51 vette that has some serious noise and idle issues. Since we have the same engine, he asked me to see what I though the problem was. It clicks (injectors and valve-train noise) like crazy and the idle is so rough that it moves the whole car side-to-side. The car also surges while moving at idle. After driving it and pulling off the valve covers (to find no modifications) I am down to one thought as to what the problem might be.

The previous owner used to have headers and some other mods that were pulled off before the sale. It is very possible that the car had a cam in it also. My thought is that he had the car tuned to work with his mods, but didn't have it re-tuned after he got the mods pulled off. I would love to hear some feedback from any of you experienced ls guys.

(I know the engine is in a vette, but I think this thread is CTS-V forum-worthy since the problems are wholly related to the LS2 and the solution could help out a forum member in the future)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SFBayV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Excessive LS2 Head Noise

Is there a possibility of a vacuum leak anywhere? Maybe there during the mod process some gaskets or hoses weren't aligned or reconnected properly. Just a thought.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

possible bent pushrod? Could cause the noise and the poor running.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Those three possibilities plus ...

broken valve spring,

misfiring cylinder (broken spark plug, bad/disconnected wire, etc),

bad motor mounts,

water in gas,

disconnected coil wire,

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

The noise is very consistent and it is very apparent when you are decelerating with the car in gear at high RPM's. It is a constant sound and not one that could be caused by just one bad component unless it was effecting the whole valve train equally.

That rules out a lot of those, but not all.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

can you post a video of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    can you post a video of it?
    I might see him this weekend. I'll carry my camera in my car just in case.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.