1981 DIEsel Eldo
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, 1981 DIEsel Eldo in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know...I'm new here.....but I know how these forums work and they are a plethor of useful information. I need ...
    Cowasockeesteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado Touring Coupe

1981 DIEsel Eldo

I know...I'm new here.....but I know how these forums work and they are a plethor of useful information. I need some of that info.
    I'm an auto/diesel mechanic by trade and have a customer with an 81 DIEsel Eldorado. I can't find any tech info on this thing ANYWHERE. The injection pump was just replaced and I have no spec on the pulse timing. All I can find is "align marks on pump up to time" I tried that and this thing won't get out of it's own way. Worse than usual. I've pleaded with said customer to let me drive this thing off a cliff and take pics but the old lady seems too attatched to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 1981 DIEsel Eldo

You might have to find a factory service manual for that. There aren't many of those Olds Diesels left; not many made it to the 90's. All of my family quit buying Oldsmobiles after getting burned on those diesels. How many miles are on that one? Maybe if it was never run for extended periods on the highway it never got hot enough to crack the heads.

Bean is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 Fleetwood brogham

Cowasockeesteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado Touring Coupe

I just set it by 'ear'. No the heads aren't cracked but it has a LOT of miles on it.
    Somehow it just keeps going but it DID renew my interest in putting one of those bodies on a rear wheel drive chassis and putting a REAL engine in it. (I've had that dream since my parents had 3 Eldo's over the years and I was always trying to think up some crazy stuff. Imagine pulling up next to an Eldo with a lumpy cam? Then getting blown away while it smokes the REAR tires?!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I always loved those Eldorados but I couldn't stomach the front wheel drive, Now that I have a FWD Deville that rides and handles beautifully, I look at those old Eldos in a different light. Put in an Olds 403 and smoke the front tires.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Oldsmobile does not recommend timing with a Pulse timing meter. They should be timed with a luminosity meter such as a Snap On Lumy Mag MT1480. Pulse type meters will give results that are way off.

I do not know the timing spec for the Eldorado with the 5.7l. It should be on the the Emission sticker under the hood. The correct timing for my 1985 Coupe Deville with the 4.3l V6 Diesel is 5 ATDC.

Timing should be done with HCPA and any Altitude advance disabled. You also need to make sure that there is no restriction in the fuel return line as this will also effect timing.

Good luck with and have a great day!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.