Timing Chain 4.6 VS 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Other Cadillac Engines Discussion, Timing Chain 4.6 VS 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've changed a couple of timing chains through out the years but this is the first caddy that I've owned, ...
    STS...Junky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Seville STS

Exclamation Timing Chain 4.6 VS 4.9

I've changed a couple of timing chains through out the years but this is the first caddy that I've owned, I have a 1993 cadillac seville STS 4.6 32V DOHC Northstar blah blah blah....I was reading the repair manual last night and the book that I have covers the 4.9 and it goes in to great detail on how to change the timing chain then you go to part B which covers the 4.6 motor and it has one paragraph "this is extremely difficult and requires special tools and should be taken to an authorized cadillac dealer or a certified mechanic"...WTF..., is there that much difference between the 4.6 and the 4.9 or did the publishers of the book not want to reprint the same thing twice.

second part to the question, the car has alittle over 150,000 miles on it, does the timing chain stretch that much in cadillacs that it clanks on the timing chain cover, I've noticed a drop in performance and the clanking started coming from the timing chain cover area, I've had cars that I've beat to death and the only thing that needed to be changed was head gaskets and clutchs, could it be something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Timing Chain 4.6 VS 4.9

I have to ask... what repair manual are you using? Is it a factory service manual?

can you point me in the direction to find the factory service manual, I'm not having any luck on finding it, I bought the car at the end of Oct. when I signed up here, so I bought a Chilton and a Haynes manual to tide me over

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

4.6 and 4.9 and VASTLY diffrent ....the 4.9 is as easy as a small block chevy to change its timing chain ...

the northstar tho is dual overhead cam , if memeory serves if you lay the chain(s) out youll end up with around 6 feet of chain ....and the chain is pretty tough ....perhaps its just a tensioner thats went bad ...at any rate working on a northstar is a task for those who are seriously brave....

thanks for the insite...at any rate I guess that I could take the cover off and see if it is the tensioner that would explain the loss of power and clanging noise, if there is slack in the timing chain

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The timing chains aren't hard to work on...they are hard to get to!

The tensioners should be good for a couple hundred thousand miles, but things may wear early.

Ebay or helms for the factory manual.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Good price on ebay for FSM is about $30 or less plus shipping of $10. Or go to Caddy dealership. Mechanics sometimes have an extra they will sell. Service mgr too might sell one to you. Heck, he will likely throw one at you because everything is on computer today. Take some goodies with you. They might lend one to you if you can guarantee that you will not disappear with it.

acklac7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    Or go to Caddy dealership. Mechanics sometimes have an extra they will sell. Service mgr too might sell one to you. Heck, he will likely throw one at you because everything is on computer today. Take some goodies with you. They might lend one to you if you can guarantee that you will not disappear with it.
    LOL...The LAST thing the dealership wants is an informed customer who can call them out on there BS.

I went to the dealership asking about service manuals and was told that "They were only availible to the dealership and therefore sale to the public was illegal"...Thats some shit huh?

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

illegal?

helm.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.