My Opinions and suggestions on Caddy's future
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, My Opinions and suggestions on Caddy's future in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Cadillac, and the rest of GM have become way too much "me too" in the design department. Cadillac had the ...
    Peter Gregg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Opinions and suggestions on Caddy's future

Cadillac, and the rest of GM have become way too much "me too" in the design department.

Cadillac had the big beautiful (poorly made) Fleetwood model, and of course all the other models. Then Caddy started to want to look like the European models and is just now getting around to making "box cars" that those cars used to look like.

In the mean time, Mercedes and the other overseas companies are picking up Cadillacs old strengths and coming out with big beautiful cars, just where the GM strength USED to lie.

Instead of playing follow the leader, GM needs to do it's own thing again. Where is the Caprice Classic, the Buick Roadmaster and Park Avenue, where is the Eldorado, Deville, and Fleetwood?? They are gone and now Toyota makes the best selling sedan in the USA - the Camry. The Impala can't even be recognized anymore.

And the Oldsmobile thing was a total screw-up. Dealers all in place all around the country, a distributorship all in place and it is closed down. Why didn't that become a retro car line. GM has a wealth of successful cars from the past that could have been remade into modern versions and marketed thru OLDsmobile!!

Speaking of retro's, Cadillac needs to take some of it's own old glory cars and make them into new modern versions. The Cadillac 6200 would be a new version of the 62 Caddy, the Cadillac 5900 would be today's 1959 Caddy.

Oh wait, Mercedes has to do that first, and also put Chrysler into the mix of resurrecting it's old cars, then Caddy might do it 5 years later.

I want to see Caddy make a gorgeous car for today. The styles coming out are just okay. The Mercedes S500 would have been a beautiful Fleetwood. What do we have, a square box DTS as bland and uninteresting as can be. The new Lexus 460 is kind of pretty, but the Caddy should be a stunner, not a car trying to be as bland as possible, blending in with cars from 5 years ago.

Trouble is I bet if GM set it's design teams free they have more than ample talent already sitting there inside Cadillac to make cars that make you go WOW. Instead, the spoiled children you used to see in restaurants where their parents could not control them from being spoiled brats have grown up and are now in high corporate positions across America.

The music industry is taking grandmothers to court. The American car makers not only have lost their bite of the American car sales market, but they have lost the ingenious things they used to do in the past. Soybeans - hello Ford??? Look what Ford is doing to their Lincolns, it almost looks like a team has gone in there with a purpose of sinking the Ford Motor Company. Cadillac, maker of big beautiful cars doesn't make big beautiful cars anymore because they are following the Europeans, who needed to be rescued by the American military cause they couldn't think enough on their own, and now we are following their mentality. And ironically, all the Euro's need to do it look at the history of the American car companies and follow it. A plan ready made to order.

Come on Cadillac, I want to see some style. How many hours did it take to see how flat you can make a car from all angles?? Even the XLR, one of the better looking Caddy's, looks best when a picture of it is taken from above, and that is exactly the picture Caddy has on it's web site. Who sees that car from above it?? Why does it look so good from that angle?? Because that is where you see some unusual and pretty styling.

The low level designers at GM could probably bring GM right out of it's slump. The high end high paid people over there are holding GM down and there needs to be a real adjustment over there.

That's my 2 cents. And you know what free opinions are worth

Peter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: My Opinions and suggestions on Caddy's future

Well thought out and no vulgar wording. Very nice.

I also feel the same way you do. Cadillac could be so much more, but something is holding them back. I don't know who or what, but I wish someone did.

Rick186 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

All one needs to tell General Motors management about the future of Cadillac is to watch what the commercial builders are choosing for limousines!
    No longer are they choosing Cadillac.
    Why?
    Because Cadillac no longer produces a motorcar in the "full size" or "large" category according to the present classifications.
    Thus, the movers and shakers of industry will, over time, come to associate full size luxury, with LINCOLN and NOT Cadillac.
    Further, I was startled to find that if I bought the equivalent, lovely new 2007 Cadillac, I'd be trading my wonderful, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham - capable of towing our pop-up RV - for a MID-SIZE vehicle (and no, I do not want an Escalator Truck).
    For heaven's sake; that's in the same category as my wife's Dodge Stratus!
    That, dear friends is CRIMINAL for the "Standard of the World."
    As the phrase goes:
    What are they thinking?

^^ Very good point. It is weird to me that Cadillac used to have the "large" category filled. Now it seems as if the STS & DTS compete with the 5 series for example. Where is the S class, 7 series, Q, and LS killer? Where is the 60K+ huge car that they used to make?

Hopefully the next few years brings back what is badly needed, a flagship like the other auto makers.

Rauf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by dp102288 View Post
    ^^ Very good point. It is weird to me that Cadillac used to have the "large" category filled. Now it seems as if the STS & DTS compete with the 5 series for example. Where is the S class, 7 series, Q, and LS killer? Where is the 60K+ huge car that they used to make?

Hopefully the next few years brings back what is badly needed, a flagship like the other auto makers.
    And they don't want to produce Sixteen anymore.

^^ Yeah, I just read the articles you posted...

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I don't feel the "L" versions of the STS and DTS are going to fill this hole at all.. Cadillac needs a car with plenty of leg room AND shoulder / hip room.. My 1995 Fleetwood Brougham was perfect but it doesn't even need to be THAT big. At least in between, though..
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.