North Star Engine Disappointments!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, North Star Engine Disappointments!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE ARE MAJOR AND EXPENSIVE ISSUES WITH THE nORTHSTAR AFTER 100,000 MILES IS THIS TRUE? iS ...
    sbpd06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: North Star Engine Disappointments!!!

I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE ARE MAJOR AND EXPENSIVE ISSUES WITH THE nORTHSTAR AFTER 100,000 MILES IS THIS TRUE? iS THE 6 ANY BETTER?

Jerry Rodrigues is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Sedan DeVille

1-12-2012 California Time

Hello Ron Z,
    I recently bought a 1998 Cadillac DeVile. Shortly thereafter I found a leak in the Pressure Sensor.
    I added oi AND Dexcoolant as I saw directed for this engine. However, shortly thereafter not only eas my car sensor leaking,
    BUT... it started overheating within a week or so of having added the Dexcool product.

After I had, as suggested, a completed checking of my engine with a fluid that if it came out one color, it was okay, however,
    if it came out another color that was demonstrative of Very Bad Problems. As it unhappily turned out, the dealership said there was a blown headgasket & several leaks in the engine & the oil & coolant were mixing within this engine.

Well, of course this blew my mind so I started checking about this 4.6 NorthStar engine & found from a few Cadillac owners who said, "This aluminum engine was KNOWN to have cracks within it!"

It appears that there are many owners who have found too many problems with the NorthStar engine from
    General Motors Cadillac to the extent that it has become a MUST INVESTIGATE this problem with the Cadillac, not only of my 1998 DeVille, but probably of ALL Cadillac Aluminum Engines... AND ALSO, of the DECOOLANTS & ANY CORROSIVES ACTION BY IT.

Jerry Rodrigues of California, a Member of the Cadillac Forum... I was once, for a very short time, the Proud Owner of this Beautiful 1998 Cadillac DeVille, but it very poorly 4.6 NorthStar Engine. AND, the Dexcoolant that was prescribed for this engine & seemingly never investigated apparently for the TRUTH by either State &/or Federal Consumer Protective Agencies...
    IT IS TIME THAT MORE PRESSSURE IS PUT ON THESE AGENCIES TO DO THEIR JOB & INSTIGATE TO RECOMPENSE THE CAR OWNERS OF THEIR LOSSES BY COMPLETE ENGINE REPLACEMENTS AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNERS, OR AT THE LEAST GIVE THEM ANOTHER CAR WHICH IS "CERTIFIED" AND GUARANTEED, OR REFUND ALL FINANCIAL NORTHSTAR ENGINE LOSSES TO THE OWNERS!

Other NorthStar Owners hopefully will reply to my reply I have made to Ron with their own thoughts, etc...
    Jerry Rodrigues, Santa Clara, California

NiteOwl_OvO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

My parents have owned 3 Cadillacs, all with North Star engines. They're first was a '96 Sedan DeVille. The engine ran great and used no oil, but liked to run hot. Several attempts were made to address the temp. issue, but none were successful. They traded it off in 2001 on a new DeVille. That car had several minor problems, the worst were engine sensor failures, computer failure and oil leaks. They traded it off in 2004 on a new DTS, which was nearly identical to the DeVille. The 2004 DTS has been nearly flawless. They still have the car. No engine problems at all. I had the pleasure of driving the car a few months ago and it looks, runs and drives like new. It currently has around 60k miles on it and is my mother's primary vehicle. It seems to take Cadillac a few years to correct problems with new or redesigned models.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.