Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER

Here is my draft of the letter... I seek comments:

January 20, 2005

Your Name Here

Address

City, State Zip

Cadillac Customer Assistance Center
    P. O. Box 33169
    Detroit, MI 48232-5169

Ref: Wheel Hop Issue - Put Your VIN Number here

To Whom It May Concern:

As an owner of a Cadillac 2005 CTS-V, VIN # ………., I have experienced a sever case of wheel hop. After talking with other CTS-V owners, I find that this is prevalent with other owners, both 2004 and 2005 models. Visits to my dealer’s service department have provided no satisfactory resolution. Among my concerns, besides the wheel hop itself, is that wheel hop will end up being costly in time and money to me and other owners as more and more rear end parts fail, presumably under warranty and especially when out of warranty. I hope for a response to this letter that is satisfactory, such as a permanent fix for the wheel hop problem.

A concern CTS-V owner,

YOU NAME HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

Re: Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER

Homer,

Great job on the letter. When you forward, and if others on the forum do such, put a foreward stating that you do not wish for Marlene Olsen to review your correspondence; I was advised by Marlene that all customer issues are elevated to her, and she is judge and jury. I had the displeasure of speaking with her regarding my rear F1s looking like bowling balls at 6,000, and her new vocabulary word for that day was "ambient"; she basically said the car will perform based on the conditions the driver creates, and based on no other owners reporting similar problems, I was the problem. So, based on her stance and the role she is paid to play, she will state something like, "The wheelhop is a condition created by your selected driving habits and other owners have not reported similar issues, therefore it is no a concern of my department." I realize that each owner has a reasonable expectation when paying the price for a V, and horrendous wheelhop (and O.E.M. tires being replaced before a rotation is possible) was never disclosed to me prior to the purchase by the dealership-I am sure Cadillac knew of the problem in August 2004. In hindsight, I could have launched the car on my test drive, but I am sure that would have frowned upon by the salesman. Good luck, and I will send a letter in hopes someone who has some genuine concern receives it.

jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

Although I agree this is a big problem, the other area to consider is the question that will come with the wheel hop issue, when presented to Caddy.

Caddy:
    "What conditions are you creating, that exhibit the wheel hop ??"

Consumer:
    "Well, basically I am quickly releasing the clutch, while flooring the gas peddle, doing a whole shot in the street, in an attempt to burn the little bit of life I have left in these F1 tires..I would like to lay down at least 20 feet of tire burn out without the entire rear shuttering up and down. Oh yeah, my rear end is whining and leaking oil as well".

Caddy:
    "So in other words you are beating the sheet out of your brand new 50k car and want to know what I am going to do about that ??"

oceanhut is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by jdodman
    Although I agree this is a big problem, the other area to consider is the question that will come with the wheel hop issue, when presented to Caddy.

Caddy:
    "What conditions are you creating, that exhibit the wheel hop ??"

Consumer:
    "Well, basically I am quickly releasing the clutch, while flooring the gas peddle, doing a whole shot in the street, in an attempt to burn the little bit of life I have left in these F1 tires..I would like to lay down at least 20 feet of tire burn out without the entire rear shuttering up and down. Oh yeah, my rear end is whining and leaking oil as well".

Caddy:
    "So in other words you are beating the sheet out of your brand new 50k car and want to know what I am going to do about that ??"

I agree that will be their response. However, our counterclaim should be that in order to reach the advertized 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds, quick releases of the clutch are necessary-- and thus generating the wheel hop.

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am VERY unhappy to say that while I love the car, Cadillc's refusal to give me what they advertised has brought me back to where I didn't want to be. That place is in the foriegn car market. CTS-V has some tough competition and getting tougher. Cadillac can not make it's advertising claims good because of this wheel hop issue. Regardless of everything else a promise is a promise and they have brocken their word big time. My greatest pleasure was to finally be able to buy American and not compromise what a car is all about. oops, my bad. Cadillac, please honor your word and give us what you promised or I promise a Benz or Audi in my garage next year. And when I turn away this time I won't look back. Their attitude towards this problem is unprofessional at best, devious and dishonest at worst. I've learned not to do business with any company that exhibits these traits so I guess they are telling me to go elsewhere. Too bd as I think they had a potential winner. One man's opinion!

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

Quote Originally Posted by oceanhut
    I agree that will be their response. However, our counterclaim should be that in order to reach the advertized 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds, quick releases of the clutch are necessary-- and thus generating the wheel hop.

Caddy is promoting the 0 - 60 times to sell the car. If I am buying the car because it is this type of car should I be able to drive it like that? One other thing, I don’t' have to drop the clutch to get wheel hop. Should Caddy (or any other car manufacture promote a car that gets 100 miles per gallon but you have to drive 20 under the speed limit to get it, I will not be interested.

Caddy:
    "What conditions are you creating, that exhibit the wheel hop??"

Consumer:
    "Great question, I have several different situations where the wheel hop is prevalent. First if there is any water on the ground (rain, large puddles, etc) the rear tires will hop like crazy with mild to medium application of the gas peddle. If I am at a stop and leave quickly the rear tires will hop. During medium to higher acceleration out of a corner the rear tires will hop. I am very considered about the damage that the wheel hop is/will cause to the rear drive train components, as well as the driving conditions that the car exhibit. Should the rear end let go during a traffic avoidance maneuver, am I in danger?"

Caddy:
    "Oh, that wheel hop, we will have to get back to you"

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The masses will prevail over a corporation, but what damage will you cause in the meantime. Yes, by eveyone calling and complaining, we MAY get a response, but in the process, you will devalue our cars overnight... Oh and the fix they come up with to settle everyone down will be to lock up the rear end so the car can't handle worth a damn in a turn.

I want a fix too (for more than just wheel hop- I have a list). I have called and I will send a few letters in the hope they at least offer a solution, but I am not going to join a lawsuit. I will sign the letter above and mail it to someone if they in turn will collect the letters and mail all 4-500 of them to cadillac. That's a strong show of force, not 200 or so trickling in in the mail.

So, who's going to take charge?

I just want to add that if cadillac comes back with: OK, we will buy back your car (ala the Z), FORGET IT... I love this car, wheelhop and all...

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

HecRod is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[I will sign the letter above and mail it to someone if they in turn will collect the letters and mail all 4-500 of them to cadillac. ]

Ditto

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett
    The masses will prevail over a corporation, but what damage will you cause in the meantime. Yes, by eveyone calling and complaining, we MAY get a response, but in the process, you will devalue our cars overnight... Oh and the fix they come up with to settle everyone down will be to lock up the rear end so the car can't handle worth a damn in a turn.

I want a fix too (for more than just wheel hop- I have a list). I have called and I will send a few letters in the hope they at least offer a solution, but I am not going to join a lawsuit. I will sign the letter above and mail it to someone if they in turn will collect the letters and mail all 4-500 of them to cadillac. That's a strong show of force, not 200 or so trickling in in the mail.

So, who's going to take charge?

I just want to add that if cadillac comes back with: OK, we will buy back your car (ala the Z), FORGET IT... I love this car, wheelhop and all...

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com
    I am NOT intrested in a lawsuit/"buy back" solution.

I am intrested in a "we will fix the wheel hop" solution.

I would like to send in letters with others from here (elsewhere??) to see what kind of response we get as a group fromm Cadillac.

I will help out with this as I can. I do have a lot of work (real work) coming up in the near future, but i can always squeak out a few extra minutes for the group.

If the people of the group get a letter we all agree on and then all print sign and mail the same day we should flodd the office with a "show of force". This should get the attention of Cadillac.

Does anyone have a suggestion to send the letter to other than Cadillac Customer Assistance Center? Maybe a two/three pronged approach?

CTSVader is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

We could also tell them you know the wheel hop that you guys do not experiance when you are doing those nice burnouts on your advertisment that is ment to attract the younger crowd that loves hod rodding!!!

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Actually, You dont have to do a burnout. Just doing some brisk highway shifting will get the cradle banging off the chassis. Problem is, as the bushings age, its going to get worse!

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Actually, You dont have to do a burnout. Just doing some brisk highway shifting will get the cradle banging off the chassis. Problem is, as the bushings age, its going to get worse!
    All I have to do is put the pedal to the flow in 2nd gear trying to merge on a short ramp onto an interstate. I don't think that is an unreasonable driving situation.

Tony

riverrat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Black/Black

You guys are right about the hop not just being a launch problem. I bought the BRM kit because of 2nd & 3rd gear hops on entrance ramps.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I participated in an owner's survey about a month ago as I know many on the forum did as well. As the survey came to an end I was asked what I would change if anything about the CTS-V. I said please ask them to cure the wheel hop. The surveyor said and I quote "yeah, everyone's has said that one." Interesting. Not what is wheel hop?, or please explain, but "yeah, everyone's has said that one.". We're naive to think that GM doesn't know our concerns regarding wheel hop, but equally as ignorant to believe they will fix it without some pretty aggressive tactics. The letter is a great start. Where do I sign?

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

I too think that the cause of the wheel hop is GM Engineering. I work with GM Engineers every day and they are a sharp group, however, there has to be something done with this situation. I am ALL IN on the letter, how do I get in on it?

F

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.