Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; That's what I tried to slant the letter towards, the safety issue. I truly am worried that if the hop ...
    M5eatr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Black Raven Auto CTS-V

Re: Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER

That's what I tried to slant the letter towards, the safety issue. I truly am worried that if the hop does get bad enough to shake something loose underneath, it could cause loss of control of the vehicle. The federal NHTSA has a place where you can file a complaint. Here is the link NHTSA

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Google search: Traction Bar. Hits: 476,000. This has been the object of affection on thousands upon thousands of automobiles. Ford Mustang changed the mounting arrangements any number of times to address Wheel Hop. CTS V is just another example.

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

"I expect the dealer installed solution to be included in the price I already paid for the car."
    I'm with Digital on this, they already have my money, now I want the car that was advertised without any conditions or limitations or amended/voided warranties or any other inconvenience(s). Cadillac sold this car with full knowledge of the problem. No one should think that the wheel hop issue was not evident in testing, long before the V was rolled out to the dealers. I am sure the decision not to correct it was based on profit, and potential buyer's satisfaction (AND SAFETY!!!) was ignored; GREED IS NOT A GOOD THING. I have not owned a Corvette, nor a GTO, but am certain they do not have this issue. Forum members in solidarity should demand the same level of integrity from Cadillac that we adhere to when we send them a "valid" payment every month (okay, I realize some paid cash but i am trying to make a point)! Monday looks like signing day, count me in, thanks.

Redline is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2005 SRX

I'm in when everyone's done wordsmithing it to death.

homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's Homer.... submit comments by 7:00 Sunday EST and I will incorporate and post.

mitchm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

As with most of you, I am not particularly hopeful we will get the result we want. However, being a "child of the 60's" activist, this does not mean we should not send the letters anyway. If nothing else, our combined action will at least let all of us on the message board know we have taken somke kind of step in unison (i.e.; the moral victory). Mitch

M5eatr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Black Raven Auto CTS-V

You guys could be surprised. I have a R1200C that BMW sold with a few "know issues." The tailight bezel would crack just for the sake of it. It cracked and the dealer said it was my fault so I paid to have it fixed. Then it happened again and again but I found a site for the R1200C and talk about a bunch of pains in the a$$e$. But after constant badgering and complaints to the NHTSB, they came up with a fix, and even swapped out the crappy chromed rims. So it can be done, especially when it is a SAFETY issue.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by M5eatr
    You guys could be surprised. I have a R1200C that BMW sold with a few "know issues." The tailight bezel would crack just for the sake of it. It cracked and the dealer said it was my fault so I paid to have it fixed. Then it happened again and again but I found a site for the R1200C and talk about a bunch of pains in the a$$e$. But after constant badgering and complaints to the NHTSB, they came up with a fix, and even swapped out the crappy chromed rims. So it can be done, especially when it is a SAFETY issue.
    Complaining to the Safety Board might help the cause. GM will have to know that once this thing gains traction (the problem, not the car!), it will be posted on every forum of every other car in this class.

This isn't what I'd like to have happen but there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative.

Tony

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I'm sure they're following this forum and particular thread closely. I took the risk of including my first and last name in my letter to Mr. Lutz in the hope that it would NOT be just another anonymous complaint, but a genuine attempt at resolution. Most owners are experiencing no dealer push back in replacing rear ends, which leads me to believe there is some communication with corporate GM re: our issues. GM can't afford for the V to have any quality or engineering issues. Remember this is the "Art and Science" car, albeit a little short on physics with regard to hopping axles. It's in everyone's best interest for this to be quietly taken care of. Our's for resale, GM's for image. Replacing rear differentials every 5-10,000 miles is not the answer.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Talking Re: Wheel Hop, How much would you pay? Here is the LETTER

You guys aren't going to like this post....

Wheel hop must be driving style dependent, because I don't suffer from it as much as some of you guys. Even on full throttle redline shifting from 1st to 2nd my wheels have never hopped under dry conditions. I have experienced wheel hop in wet conditions but not under gravel or salty road conditions.
    Although, if I'm having a bad day I can be a bit abusive to the car (slightly immature)...when it piss me off in wet conditions, I let 'em hop (I know... a blown rear end would only make a bad day terrible).

I was pissed off enough when my tires were dead at 8-9,000mi with no burnouts, just some aggressive cornering and rolling acceleration runs.

I'm not paying jack for a wheel hop cure, and I don't think any legitimate fix will be cheap or easy to do. Besides, I knew the car had wheel hop issues when I leased it.

What all that rambling above really meant was:
    I don't feel wheel hop is a terrible problem, and it's certainly not a safety issue. We purchased the cars and I don't think GM has to do a damn thing to fix it (legally speaking). I'll sign the letter (hoping for a miracle), it can't hurt to try.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    ... and it's certainly not a safety issue.
    If the wheels hop that means they started to spin.
    If your wheels are spinning you're not going anywhere fast.
    If anything it's a good indicator to back off the power in order to regain traction and control.

The only way I could see a connection would be if (scenario):

Your merging with traffic (on a section of road with no shoulder) and under moderate acceleration the wheels hop, causing the rear end to fail (how you prove this I'm not sure...). Thus your unable to come up to speed, the traffic behind you fails to anticipate this, and they subsequently rear end you. GM would place the blame on Getrag for the failure, not their suspension design(and if the dealer installed aftermarket rims or tires, GM will push it onto them as well)... Of course, I believe the person who hit you is at fault for not having control of their vehicle, especially if you were clearly in their line of sight, i.e. ahead of them trying to merge.

CTSV04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I registered today so I could particpate in this thread. I like the idea of working together to voice our dis-satisfaction with the wheel hop problem and Cadillac's apparent lack of concern so far. I've owned my CTS-V for only a few months and unlike Vrocks I burn-out under fullthrottle redline and experience severe wheel-hop. I just replaced my burnt run flats with GS-D3's after only 6K miles. However, I have only redlined the car a few times since the wheel hop is so severe. I drive in dry conditions (Texas) and experience wheel hop every time I exceed 5000 RPM and shift from 1st to 2nd. The more RPM the worse the wheel hop. I can only hope that someone from Cadillac will listen and correct this problem. This car is too good to be ruined by one problem that I'm sure can be fixed with the right amount of effort and focus. I'm confident that if the wheel hop problem is not resolved in a timely fashion, CTS-V sales will suffer.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

When I escalated this problem through GM management channels, and discussed with GMPD directly, they all say the same thing: this is a normal operating characteristic of the multi-link rear suspension.

You know, I love this car... it offers great value for money when you consider power, options, handling, and more than anything... how well connected it feels. But this crap from GM is disheartening. Yes, many of my previous high-power RWD cars had a bit of hop on RARE occassion... but with the temperatures plummeting, this is just plain PATHETIC.

Avejoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think the 4.6, 0 to 60 was at their special down hill, that GM won't let us use. I Love my V, but, feel, we, as owners, should be aloud to go there. They owe us big time !!!!! But they aint gettin my V back unless they can make it better

homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ok all... I have incorporated what I believe is a good letter. Please cut and past and insert your personal information (i.e., your name and address and VIN #, and signature) and go ahead and send it to me. I will wait two weeks and sedn it off to Cadillac. :drinker My address is:

Derek
    8211 Peridot Dr., Apt #403
    McLean, VA 22102

January 25, 2005

Your Name Here

Address

City, State Zip

Cadillac Customer Assistance Center
    P. O. Box 33169
    Detroit, MI 48232-5169

Ref: CTS-V Wheel Hop Issue - Put Your VIN Number here

To Whom It May Concern:

As an owner of a Cadillac CTS-V, VIN # ………., I am experiencing sever case of wheel hop. After talking with other CTS-V owners, I find that this is prevalent with other owners, both 2004 and 2005 models. Visits to my dealer’s service department have provided no satisfactory resolution. Among my concerns, besides the wheel hop itself, is that wheel hop will end up being costly in time and money to me and other owners as more and more rear end parts will fail, presumably under warranty and especially when out of warranty. I hope for a response to this letter that is satisfactory, such as a permanent fix for the wheel hop problem. Additionally, I would like to say that I and the other owners I have talked to love our cars and seek only a solution.

As an owner of a Cadillac 2005 CTS-V, VIN # ………., I am experiencing severe case of wheel hop. I believe that you are aware of the condition and hope that GM engineers are currently working to correct this issue. After talking with other CTS-V owners, I find that this is prevalent with other owners, both 2004 and 2005 models. Visits to my dealer’s service department have provided no satisfactory resolution. There are numerous aftermarket companies that have made an attempt to correct this known issue but have not been 100% successful. This leads me to believe that GM/Cadillac should be the one to devise a solution, as they are the ones who have developed the vehicle and should also be the ones to represent their products.

Although this condition can be induced by what you may call improper or abusive driving, I as well as others have experienced this phenomenon under routine driving conditions such as merging onto the freeways and under normal acceleration. A concern of the current and future CTS-V owners is the safety of this situation when it occurs to the passengers and others on the roadways. Could this situation cause catastrophic failure which could be a direct factor to the driver losing control? It would be unfortunate if this situation was to cause harm to any person or to property. All too often, big business will only correct issues when something unfortunate occurs and are forced to admit the negligence. Obviously the Ford-Firestone situation is still fresh in all our minds. Other concerns is that the wheel hop will end up being costly in time and money to me and other owners as more and more rear end parts will fail, presumably under warranty and especially when out of warranty.

We, the CTS-V owners respectfully request a formal acknowledgement to this issue from GM/Cadillac. In addition, any information should be made available regarding this issue in regards to what has been done and what the future plans are for the situation. A report as to what detrimental effects could be expected with this condition over a long term period would also be helpful.

Thank you for your time and cooperation in this matter. We anxiously await your response.

Cordially,

YOU NAME HERE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.