You ruined the Deville - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, You ruined the Deville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hmm, I haven't personally tried the button shifter on a Cadillac, just had some bad memories of one on a ...
    Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Re: You ruined the Deville

Hmm, I haven't personally tried the button shifter on a Cadillac, just had some bad memories of one on a Hyundai I had (first car). If it got knocked, it would slip...button went in itself and all as if it were a bearing or something lol. Anyway, I wasn't really saying it's likely to get knocked out of gear, just "more" likely than one which isn't in swaying way of your arm.

I use transmission braking all the time, and I don't think the middle shifter is easier. It's easier than the old 80s column shifters because those were jerky, but a more modern column shifter is just as smooth, and it's closer to your hand, which doesn't have to go far from the steering wheel. Just makes sense.

mark3601 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

At the cost of getting slamed. I do not get it? I just purchased my very first caddy. the 05 DTS, Now no where on the car dose it say DeVille at all just the DTS. but it seams that I purchased the red hair child from reading some of the post all over. I thought that this was one of caddy best cars I gave up my GMC Denali XL that was the 02 model year for the caddy and I still can not belive that I own a caddy. when I was in my teenage years caddy was for the very rich you know the people that were able to get cars at the drop of a hat. When I purchased this car I had the feeling of Hey I have arrived.

But now all I hear from others is how ugly and bad this is how its not a real caddy and how it could have been done better. Whats Up?

I was under the impression that the saying "This is not your Fathers Buick anymore" was also put to the Caddy that it had grown up some and had been made more in with the times. Thats why no tailfins etc.

For a big family car I thought that the DTS hit a home run giving its owner the best of both worlds sport and touring good ride when you wanted that and more fun when you felt the need for speed. Did I miss something?
    Or am I just out of touch with the world?

Just call me stupid

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

The Deville name was replaced by the name DTS, which stands for Deville Touring Sedan. I don't much care for the alphabet soup names, but that's the way the world of automobiles is heading. Additionally, I don't think the new Cadillacs are as attractive as they used to be. They look like everything else on the road, but at least they are selling.

The saying is "This is not your father's Oldsmobile," not Buick.

And not to be a jerk here, but if you want Cadillac executives to look at your posts seriously, you may want to have someone proofread what you want to post. You have numerous grammatical errors, spelling errors, punctuation errors, and a run on sentence or two. I'm just thinking that they may not take you too seriously with all those mistakes. No offense intended....

JRau in central Iowa

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Some people just like their old boats better And since these cars seem to run for awhile you grow attached, I have to say though, a Caddy is still a caddy, compare it to years that it was built, my 98 might not have the nice interoir of todays fully loaded Impala lets say, but when you compare it to other cars of the year they stick out. You have a great car, and should certainly feel proud.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Cadillac is, indeed, made more with the times, and the times are going down the tubes. Tailfins, straight design, etc... Yeah, I prefer it, but that's just personal preference, I have to admit. However, more to complain about is that Cadillac doesn't stand out anymore. The older Cadillacs were the most luxurious out of pretty much any car of the same time. The engine was always more powerful, the cab was always roomier, the seats were always comfier... No one could touch them. Nowadays, you can find Lincoln giving more cab space, plenty matching the power, and the luxury which it stood for is just not outstanding anymore. The fact that they don't have their unique design that enables you to recognize "That's a Caddy!" at a mile away just adds to the fact that they have become unoriginal in comparison.

As for ugly... Yeah, I think so, but again, that's opinion. All these are examples of one big underlying letdown though... Cadillac has become more follower than leader... They copied the alphabet naming scheme because of simple marketing comparisons to other companies. They are no longer the crown, and no longer have the courage to set the examples instead of following them. If you have a really cool circular saw, you might say "this is the Cadillac of circular saws." That sort of phrase is waning, and deservedly so, with respect to the pursuit of excellence and an image that used to be more important than how they can get the "best of both worlds"...via still try to be luxury and save production cost.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

I think it looks better than the last Deville, I love the rear, that's the closest to fins you're going to see, deal with it. I got to sit in the red one at the ren-cen, and I loved it, not nearly as cushy as mine are, but it felt pretty well put together to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.