You ruined the Deville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, You ruined the Deville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I think they ruined the Deville too. I own a 99 and I'm proud it's name isn't the alphabet. DTS, ...
    99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

Re: You ruined the Deville

I think they ruined the Deville too. I own a 99 and I'm proud it's name isn't the alphabet. DTS, STS, CTS, ESV(Escalade). Just give them names and bring the Deville back to glory. BRING BACK THE FIN LIGHTS like on the pre-2000 Devilles too! It used to be the signature look of a Deville, now the DTS is like the rest of the Cadillacs. They all look the same, just different trims and sizes.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

I feel the consensus of opinions here deserves more support, and hopefully will be listened to. I think they ruined the Deville a long time ago, presidential or not. They kept getting more and more bubbly. We're driving cars, and the wheels are supposed to roll, not the entire car. 2000 really was the nail in the coffin, in my opinion anyway. The saddest and most absurd cutback in the design are the things which I use as a name on this forum. Those front lights are hideous too. Also, taking the emblem/hood ornament and thinning it out and warping it as if it were taken off a sphere made of emblems was a....questionable (forcing my objectivity here...) move. In fact, I don't see a hood ornament now...it's now on the grill... Talk about tacky. We could go back further and mention the awesome crome trim...oh yeah chrome, remember that stuff? Even my 90 has plastic pieces at the back and front which were beginning signs of cheapng out. If plastic's to be used, it ought to go where the vehicle tends to rust, like under the doors instead of wasting wax up on top. A little access port could easily be made for jacking.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

I want the Zil.

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

I agree tailfin, I like the pre-2000's much better than the "camry like" 2000-2005's.

What I must say is that this car is MORE like the old devilles than the 2000-2005 cars that actually sported the name. Not a drop of chrome on them, didn't look to Cadillac.

This new DTS (which looks far from the special pres limo) actually has brought back chrome, be plastic or similar material, its back. It was not on the 2000-2005's.

If you order one of these from the factory you CAN get a hood ordament but the "mass-sales" ones were all ordered w/o the hood ordament because the main complaint was "they get stolen".

I challenge you to go to your dealer and look it over from head to tow, in person this car makes a statement, the stacked lights are "back" that in the sense at night theres a row of LED taillights stacked.

This car, combined with the new Cadillac styling (which to awknowledge or not) has brought Cadillac from a top domestic, to something that is actually beginning to be competitive with Europeans. No more just above Lincoln.

When "fins" were introduced people didn't embrace them, they thought they were over the top, but if you look over the course of time Cadillac is now starting to shape the design cues again, just look at what the other companies are doing with "shapes" and you'll notice it.

No more bubbles is right, they wanted this car (and the others) to stand out in a crowd, to actually look like an expensive luxury car. Like it or not the 90's Cadillacs had cheap materials and cheap quality, in 2000 they stepped it up, with this model its up yet another notch.

I like and dislike it but it appears (judgeing by sales) a majority like the new car over the 2000-2005's, it appears to be either bringing buyers back, 2000-2005's are being replaced, or like in the case of one of my neighboors, finally giveing them something to "upgrade" to from their late 90's Deville.

Now, don't look at it as a Deville, the reason they dropped the name is to aviod just that, thats why the new RWD STS isn't called seville, thats why the XLR isn't called Eldorado, etc. These are a new-era in Cadillac, so far moving in this direction has helped...there was talk of actually closing down Cadillac in the 90's, you certainly don't hear that anymore.

bitteroldhag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree. The Cadillac needs fin lights. Otherwise, it's a Chevrolet. I note that the new Cadillacs are indistinguisable from Chevrolets. If I wanted a Chevolet, I'd buy that. But I want a Cadillac. Take a page out of Chrysler's PT cruiser and give us real Cadillacs.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

I have given the new DTS a chance.... I still don't like it.

I have had one for a few days as a dealer loaner when mine was in the shop... it drove well.. way more floaty than my 02 DTS... but this was a base rental model I think.

So, it performed ok.. the interior is acceptable.. its the outside looks of the thing.. I just can't learn to like it. To me it appears they took a 00-05 DeVille stuck a different nose and tail on it and called it a new car to bide time to totaly redo the car. The nose is horrid, and the tail is worse... everytime i get behind one I cringe.. looks like a Monte Carlo with a Crest glued on.

I gave it almost a year to grow on me.... it grew on me like a weed in my flower bed.

To me it seems they could have done much much better.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Vs.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Vs.

No comparison. The 2006 has it over the previous generation.
    Better layout, better design, better materials... just better.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I grew fond of the tank-like look of the old one, but its old.

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

CHANGES THAT SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE DTS

A new model should be added to the DTS line, the DeVille L. This would be a longer wheelbase (probably a custom outsource), a new front Grill ala 2007 Escalade, with the lighting. Drivetrain would be the same for now, except the addition of a 6 speed w/overdrive automatic. Interior greater rear legroom, with interior piping, and 5.1 BOSE SOUND, higher luxury carpeting. This car could serve as Cadillac's Flagship until after 2010 when the next generation of Luxury features could be introduced in whatever the ULS, turns out to be.

Chrysler will offer many of these changes on their 300 L being released as a 2007 model. Also Chrysler has given the go ahead for the Imperial Flagship.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I saw a black DTS last night and it really looked nice. It's officially grown on me.. Even the back looked good.. I usually don't care for black cars because you can't see them very good at night. Well, black is very good for the back of the DTS. The lights light-up nicely - and the front is very nice as well.. So I guess I'm a fan of the new DTS in black...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Vs.

No comparison. The 2006 has it over the previous generation.
    Better layout, better design, better materials... just better.
    I'm obligated to disagree. Perhaps there are practical improvements...But some things leave me asking "why?" For example...the shift in the middle. I can't think of one practical reason this would be better than the steering-column mounted version. It eliminates a seat/space, easier to accidentally knock out of gear, and it honestly looks to me like they just put it down there so people can "feel" like they're driving a standard, which is pretty silly.

I would agree that interior has a "neat" look to it, but it also has a cheap one. The materials and foux wood crap just speak to the point. I haven't personally sat in this thing, but that's not the nice vinyl/leather they used on the old ones, is it? Also, this is just opinion, but I think that hump in the dash on the driver's side ruins the symmetry.

I will say that steering wheel looks a bit better than some of the "fat" ones I've seen since the stupid air bag wave, but I still like the 80s wheels better. Anyway, the interior is buggin' me, but it isn't obvious wreckage to me...on the other hand...

The body...*ralph*... No fins, ugly headlights, no hood ornament, no trim, and just nothing to separate it from looking ordinary. It just...ugh...psychologically reminds me of a naked Pikachu doll which just happens to be able to kick my arse lol.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

What cars still have steering column shifters besides the Lincoln Town Car and the rest of that platform? (Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria) - Just about all cars have the shifter in the middle.

I know BMW has that new, wierd shifter on the column - but don't include that. It's different..

Fake wood? The DTS uses fake good?

Cadillac hasn't used "nice" leather in a long time...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

I seem to remember looking at Cadillac's site and seeing a shifter mounted on the column on one of the high-end models, but that was a couple years ago, perhaps they've done away with it. But yeah, you don't see it anymore really, which was one of my complaints for the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah fake wood lol... Been that way. I have a 1990, and even then, it was the beginning of the cheap-out age. One of the vehicle's "bragging" points was that the little Fleetwood emblem on the glove compartment was made of real wood... Well that was just the selling point, wasn't it?

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    I'm obligated to disagree. Perhaps there are practical improvements...But some things leave me asking "why?" For example...the shift in the middle. I can't think of one practical reason this would be better than the steering-column mounted version. It eliminates a seat/space, easier to accidentally knock out of gear, and it honestly looks to me like they just put it down there so people can "feel" like they're driving a standard, which is pretty silly.
    It became popular for one reason or another, I know its much easier to use transmission braking with a center shifter (helps in the winter and going down hills). One of the models of the DTS does offer column shifter, local dealership has severl.

As far as easily coming out of gear....nope, thats what the button on the shifter is for, locks while in drive so it can't be hit out of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.