In a matter of days - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, In a matter of days in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It is a tough world out there for any generation and today in America with the dog eat dog mentality ...
    LoneRanger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: In a matter of days

It is a tough world out there for any generation and today in America with the dog eat dog mentality in the business world and scourges like Enron, Adelphia, etc and huge pay rates for executives who are motivated to increase the bottom line anyway they can to improve their golden parachute (such as shipping jobs to unstable countries with cheap labor) it seems to me there is just a plain lack of patriotism and responsible leadership. Abe said something like, "the goal of a great leader is to get a country to accept short term pain for long term gain". Too many people living off the system of an out of controll safety net, too many people retiring too early and draining SS, too many people looking out for number one instead of asking what they can do for their country (JFK). I like my Caddy and I am proud to drive American-Made. As my father said, there is honor in producing something. America has to be careful because we are shipping all the "honor" overseas. I send send the decision makers with the jobs and make them live where the manufacturing is going. Pretty soon those decision makers would being bringing the jobs back to the states. Just my .02

scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250

I'm betting a lot of you guys didn't grow up in the '60s and '70s, or you would be trashing the Japaneze autos for much different reasons than war and social economic related issues.

My wife's parents were psuedo Hippies who owned, a 1970 VW Beetle, a 1972 Honda Civic, and a 1973 Toyota Corolla. Talk about junk Japanese cars.

...oh, yea, I also will never own a Chrysler product...ever heard of the "Duster", or "K" cars?

gygmy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey, Ain't that Catera nothing but an Opel? Are'nt they part of GM? When it comes to big corporations nationalism means squat. $$$ means everything. We all share the same DNA.We are real. Corporations are artificial induviduals. People as a whole want good products, want to produce good products, want to live in peace. A small, infintesimally small proportion of us are geedy scumbags who, when given the chance, give the rest of us hell on earth. But since we are all human and subject to the same temptations who's to say we would'nt be the next Napoleon, Gengis Kahn? Thought I'd leave Hitler out of this, he's been overworked more than a Wal-Mart greeter. Peace, Love, WOT.

BANK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX RWD N*

"That's a little extreme. You're judging entire countries based on what some of their people did wrong over half a century ago. It should not be forgotten, but it shouldn't be thrown to their faces forever either." ERIC 2203

Fifty years is just the other day if your 80 years old. I know more than a few guys who will never purchase a German or Japanese car because of WW II. But, the memory of the average American is generally 2-3 months, isn't it. However, American manufactures have some ground to make up and it has been a long time coming. I am suprised how long it has taken and perceive a lack of vision on the part of US manufacturers. With that said, maybe I don't realy know what the American consumer wants. After all I just purchased a vehicle that gets poor fuel economy has a questionable reliability issues and design problems. Maybe some of you guys have heard of it, its called a Cadillac! By the way I really liked the 340 Duster it was a great car for a 18-21 year old! Opinions vary.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only reason Toyota even exists because of the Korean war? My 11th grade civics teacher told us our troops needed trucks and they found this nearly bankrupt tiny little car manufacturer in Japan called Toyota. I guess it was cheaper than shipping new trucks over from America or something. I think that's the story, but that was quite a while ago I heard that. And yes, it is definately true, the first imports were absolute shit. They rusted out right away. But Honda and Toyota figured out they could build a cheap effective car with great mileage to to fight the guzzlers coming out of Detroit, and it worked. You can all say you'll never buy a Lexus or MB or BMW or Infinity, and that's fine, it's your freedom of choice, but saying they're just piles of crap isn't exactly an intellegent statement. And no, Lexus isn't just a jazzed up Toyota. Ever look under the hood of an LS 430? By your logic, a Caddy is just a jazzed up Chevy or Olds. So what if they share alot of the same engineering and parts? Ever look at an 85 Fleetwood Brougham? Looks an awful lot like a 85 Caprice, now doesn't it. And Scurling, I agree. I also will never own a Chrysler product. Just a thought.

Brian

Eric2203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BANK
    "That's a little extreme. You're judging entire countries based on what some of their people did wrong over half a century ago. It should not be forgotten, but it shouldn't be thrown to their faces forever either." ERIC 2203

Fifty years is just the other day if your 80 years old. I know more than a few guys who will never purchase a German or Japanese car because of WW II. But, the memory of the average American is generally 2-3 months, isn't it. However, American manufactures have some ground to make up and it has been a long time coming. I am suprised how long it has taken and perceive a lack of vision on the part of US manufacturers. With that said, maybe I don't realy know what the American consumer wants. After all I just purchased a vehicle that gets poor fuel economy has a questionable reliability issues and design problems. Maybe some of you guys have heard of it, its called a Cadillac! By the way I really liked the 340 Duster it was a great car for a 18-21 year old! Opinions vary.
    It's not because I live in the USA that I am American and have lived here all my life. You'd be surprised if you knew me. So please don't judge without knowing.

Whether you're 20 or 80 years old doesn't matter. It's about being a little more open-minded and tolerant. Obviously your opinion hasn't changed. Who's to say they haven't in Germany or Japan ? We'd still be at war if opinions didn't evolve.

BANK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX RWD N*

I do not intend to anyone except myself. I merely express my observations, which may or may not be accutrate. Often I have no idea what the hell is going on.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by BANK

It's part of my job to study and know these things, so that's why I brought it up. The Japanese people and nation are very good about hiding their true feelings about WWII, so don't let a lack of commentary about it fool you.

I bought a Miata, (made in hiroshima by the way ) but ended up trading it for a convertible Eldorado. Still like the Miata tho'.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Smile Re: In a matter of days

Is this thread really meant to be in a forum to be read by GM corporate? I thought this section of the forum was meant to help the Cadillac community communicate to GM with questions or suggestions for improvemnets to our vehicles, not debate history, morality or patriotism. While I respect folk's rights to voice their opinions, is this the proper venue? Maybe the General Discussion Section would be more appropriate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.