Quit thinking of yourself when designing!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Quit thinking of yourself when designing! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quit thinking of yourself when designing!

Overall I have been quite happy with the Cadillac, I have put up with maintenance issues and design flaws in the taillights and other electrical components. I am grateful that this isnít a Jaguar with Lucas electrics.

But tonight to my horror I have found out this car (and all subsequent devilles) were designed by the GM engineer/designer for the GM engineer/designer. Obviously you never thought about a woman that stands 4 foot 10 inches tall. You never thought of my mother. With the seat all the way forward and up she still cannot see out of the car properly and cannot press the accelerator pedal to the floor. Fortunately she can press the brake its full travel. This is one thing, but your stupid airbag is another. She is sitting approx 6 inches from the center of the bag but the lower portion of the wheel is less than 2 inches from her body. Taking the 10-inch rule into account she cannot drive this car in its current state.

You may be asking yourself why is she driving this car then. Well after months of searching we bought her a 04 Malibu MAXX, I do thank you for almost getting it right in this case, youíve done beater than anyone in the business with this car and how it fits her. BUT, itís in the shop again, another power train problem bringing its total to 8+ visits in 6 months. We call that a LEMON. The Deville is needed to transport my grandmother after her hip surgery to an appointment. We have no choice but to use this deathtrap for those of short stature. I am unable to drive it because of another family member needing assistance that we will use the Silverado for.

But donít loose any sleep, I am an ASE certified mechanic on airbags and safety systems, and for the next couple hours ill be removing your airbags from my car so I donít loose sleep over her driving it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

Re: Quit thinking of yourself when designing!

Well, not to burst your bubble here, but the car is designed for 6'-0" men driving. Cadillac makes smaller cars also, for smaller people.

This post reminds me of when my uncle had me test drive his ford probe. My cap got stuck in the visor and i had to get back out of the car to recline the seat almost flat, like how 15 year old punks drive around with their cap on sideways, and my head still hit the roof. Must have been a ford design flaw!! Um no, i was just too big for a little piece of sh*t car. Im only 6' but some guys are like 6'-5" and drive these things, how?? Im not sure because i cant. I cant drive a regular cab pickup either, have to have extended cab, or else i end up about 2 " from steering wheel. And no im not that fat, i only weigh 180lbs.

Quite frankly, this is the dumbest post i have seen around here.

Im happy you think that .....

But occupant safety needs to come first.

You think smaller people would like to drive a small peice of shit ? Mom sure doesnt.

by the way this is the most ignorant statement ive seen in awhile here ...very discriminatory
    Well, not to burst your bubble here, but the car is designed for 6'-0" men driving. Cadillac makes smaller cars also, for smaller people.
    Cadillac makes smaller cars for people with smaller wallets......I dont see women lineing up to buy CTS's ...I see women lineing up to buy esclades and SUVs...which are bigger.....I see alot of them less than 10 inches from the airbag. People buy what they like . They dont buy becuse the salesman says "your too short for a deville you need to buy a cts".....

Im 6 foot 180lbs also ...have no problem driving a regular cab pickup....

People got that probe that were "too big" because they wanted it...Ford failed them ...

The only cars that only someone of a specific height should be driveing racecars .....

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    Cadillac makes smaller cars for people with smaller wallets......I dont see women lineing up to buy CTS's ...I see women lineing up to buy esclades and SUVs...which are bigger.....I see alot of them less than 10 inches from the airbag. People buy what they like.
    Have you seen the sales numbers and demographics for the CTS lately?

Other than that, I agree with you to a point. Where do you draw the line? Should GM be responsible for making their cars fit midgets and 7 footers?

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Have you seen the sales numbers and demographics for the CTS lately?

ok i get the point ...must not be alot of "short" drivers around here ....yes women drive CTS and CTS-V and seville and STS and STS-v and XLRs and XLR-vs and fleetwoods and devilles and escalades and cimmarons ...i could go on ...the point is ...women ,men ,short and tall will drive what they want ...and not what some salesman (or woman) tells them to buy ...

you do have to draw a line somewhere ..but at least make some kind of provisions so someone can turn off the airbag if someone has to drive the car that is within 10 inches of the airbag ...right now there is no provisions outside disableing the system the hard way ....

juiceE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (rip 92deville rip 94 fwb) 97 ElDog

Im 6 foot 180lbs also
    me 3

... 6'3" 185 exactly

maybe we ARE supposed to be in these cars :drinker

but i dont see wuts the big deal... tape sum wood blocks to the gas pedal, and put a couple phone books on the seat

must not be alot of "short" drivers around here ....
    I'm 5' 3" and have no problem with my CTS. Never did with either of my Eldorados either...

ok im done talking about this subject , no matter what i say IT WILL BE WRONG ......im sure it has nothing to do with me being wrong but just the fact i said something against Cadillac.....

goth , you not short , your average .....try 4 foot 10 ....then come back ...4 inches is a huge differnce when your 4 foot 10.....weve never heard a salesman tell us to get wooden pedals ....

like i say im done .....this is the one time i know ill be WRONG no matter what i say , so lets drop it .....go find another person to harass

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

ok im done talking about this subject , no matter what i say IT WILL BE WRONG ......im sure it has nothing to do with me being wrong but just the fact i said something against Cadillac.....

goth , you not short , your average .....try 4 foot 10 ....then come back ...4 inches is a huge differnce when your 4 foot 10.....weve never heard a salesman tell us to get wooden pedals ....

like i say im done .....this is the one time i know ill be WRONG no matter what i say , so lets drop it .....go find another person to harass

Welcome to my world Mike.

LOL ..yup ...

I love this , someone will probably now lob me into the group of "Cadillac Haters" or something .....

Guess i beatter not say how poorly designed the tailamps houseings are , esp with nothing to protect them from what the tire flings up ...

But someone will then say "no mike there perfect because there cadillac" , its because yours is used.....No its becuase they arent shielded ...i mean i see more with bulbs out then i see with fully working taillamp assemblys on 94-99s...

Kat , i tried to PM you back but your box was full dude

Out of curiosity and for comparison purposes: What car does your mother feel comfortable in? I assume she has a daily driver of some sort...

Nevermind...
    I see she has a Malibu. How does the Maxx solve your mother's problem? Telescoping steering? Maybe she needs to look for cars with that as an option...

The modern DeVille and STS have this option.

Well we have the malibu , and yes it fits very nicely ...The tilt telescope isnt as important as adjustable pedals but in the 73 vettes case she can drive the car fairly well on tilt/tele and seat position . Unforetunatly the car is torn down for interior resto right now

Modern Devilles do offer this ? interesting , i have driven 10-15 of them and not one had tilt/tele(according to the salesmen) ...sounds like something i need to look more into ...that being the case then they have caterd to our needs in the deville ...

cars she feels pefect in as far as "fit" are the Miata , present gen Tracker (well they just discontinued it) , Maxx , and anything with power pedals . But she is very safety minded so most vehciles with power pedals are SUVs of which she hates , but the tarus sable 500 montego and Maxx have ranked high with her

Modern Devilles do offer this ? interesting , i have driven 10-15 of them and not one had tilt/tele(according to the salesmen) ...sounds like something i need to look more into ...that being the case then they have caterd to our needs in the deville ...
    It's not available on the base DeVilles. The DHS models all have it and it is an option on the DTS.

It is also a POWER tilt and telescoping adjustment, which I find really cool.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.