2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, 2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have owned my CTS for a month and after using the Navigation system I find it to say the ...
    Swolff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

Angry 2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money

I have owned my CTS for a month and after using the Navigation system I find it to say the least unreliable. After talking to the dealer and to Cadillac customer service I get the answer answer that "it is designed to work that way". Well if it is designed to take me 250 miles out of my way on a 600 mile trip then maybe it should be redesigned. It also gives out unreliable time to distination information, i.e. 104 mile from distination traveling a a constant 75 mph it tells me that I am to arrive in 3 hours 58 min. If this is a sign of the quality of the Cadillac then I will never own another.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: 2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money

I get the feeling that this is your first GPS/navigation. Every factory nav I've ever used is overpriced and will send you around your elbow to get to your buttonhole. Most aftermarket navigation systems are a little better, but not by leaps and bounds. A good GPS will get you close, but it definitely helps if you review the directions BEFORE you follow the to a tee.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Angry Re: 2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I get the feeling that this is your first GPS/navigation. Every factory nav I've ever used is overpriced and will send you around your elbow to get to your buttonhole. Most aftermarket navigation systems are a little better, but not by leaps and bounds. A good GPS will get you close, but it definitely helps if you review the directions BEFORE you follow the to a tee.
    Thank you for your reply but this is not my first factory GPS. I have a Chev Equinox and its system is miles ahead of this system. The time to distination is accurate and it gives me the option to get to my distination the fastest or the shortest way. In the CTS system the time to distination is way off. I have never had it send me 250 miles out of my way. The dealer checked the GPS system in other models of Cadillac and the CTS all had this problem and the others models performed correctly. I just cannot understand Cadillac putting out a product like this and then telling me this is the way it is designed. I call this useless junk or rape.

I need to say that I have received a phone call from Cadillac regarding my Nav. system and they understand my problem and are working on a solution. They agreed that it is not the way the system is supposed to work.

Tom_E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE - Picked up a 2014 C7

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had my CTS/V Coupe only a couple of weeks and had not used the nav until today..... OMG it tried to take me 40 miles out of my way and almost totally ignored the freeway system ( and before you ask NO I do not have avoid freeways selected in the config screen) Unlike other NAV systems when i took the route I knew would get me in the neighborhood, every time it recalculated the route i was on, kept trying to take me off the freeway and on surface streets to the original freeway it wanted me to take. Sorry for the rant but up until today I was so happy with this car, but now.........

I am coming out of a ZR1 and just assumed GM would be GM and the nav would be as good (or better) as the Vet..... boy was I wrong. This system totally sucks!!!!!

I just can't believe this system is so user unfriendly. Going by the dealer tomorrow, I'd give it back if they would take it, I'm that unhappy.

Tom let us know what you find out. I also came out of a Vet and loved the car, except the cramped back seat.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Navigation systems are great but . . . You need to be smarter than the equipment you're operating. While Cadillac has no problems subcontracting their stereo systems out to Bose to get just the right sound for the interior of the car they want to enhance with the Bose logo, they appear to turn a blind eye when it comes to using the expertise of the venders of aftermarket navigation systems like Garmin. Wake up GM! The aftermarket navigation system manufacturers are light-years beyond what GM is capable of. Stick to what you're good at and contract out the specialied skills to those who know better in their specific niche markets. While I have factory nav systems in both my Cadillacs, I still keep a Garmin handy for it's ease of programming, and more accurate info.

CCC

Reverend Hearse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Collins hearse, 1979 Coupe , 1984 Seville,1990 fleet'

screw a nav system, i own maps....

garyt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2010 CTS Navigation a waste of money

I am the original owner. of a 2006 STS. The Nav system is a piece of crap, and had I known how difficult it is to program, I would not have bought the car.

I have used GPS's since 2000, and the Cadillac Nav system is the worst I've seen. I should have been alerted to the Nav programming difficulty, when the salesman didn't know how to enter a destination, AND NO ONE at the dealers knew how to program it. Since a salesman only knows selling, I wasn't surprised when he was stumped, but no one at the dealer knew how to do it. Also, when I saw the size of the Nav manual, that should have been a clue.

I took a 5000 mile motor trip last year, and bought a Garmin Zumo 660, to use for navigation. I'm glad I took the Garmin, because I arrived at several destinations without a problem.

My next car will be Korean or Japanese.

FYI: if you're an iPhone owner there's a free mapquest app that is the bees knees. It does a great job finding locations and it even gives voice prompts like a Garmin. Did I mention it's free?

I'm not poking fun at you guys....just posting this to be helpful.

stefani is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was lucky - I was advised NOT to get a nav system in my 2010 CTS. I use my Garmin - but I can't firgure out how to mount it - the vent-clip mounts only work with horizontal vents. Anyone know a product that can be used in the 2010?

Linda in JAX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS 2013 Platinum Black Diamond

My 2008 STS Nav system was totally obtuse to work, compared to Hertz NeverLost and my Garmin. I had OnStar and always used them for directions. The 2011 DTS was even worse. The day I got it I programmed in my home address and asked it to take me home from the dealership. Just like the OP, the danged thing wanted me to use Route 1 to the left when I-95 was immediately to the right. I went to I-95 and as we approached every exit the system told me to exit and head to Route 1. Again, OnStar was my goto nav system after that experience. Pitiful. The 2013 XTS Platinum hasn't given me such poor directions - yet - and it's easier to get into. But NeverLost and Garmin are still head and shoulders above GM's nav system, hands down.

Stefani -try Best Buys for a Garmin Dashboard mount (Model: 0101090800 SKU: 8231861). It's not pretty but it's functional and stable and easy to hide way when not being used. And it doesn't leave ugly circle marks on the inside of the windshield.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.