My last e-mail to General Motors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, My last e-mail to General Motors in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    fierodough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

Exclamation My last e-mail to General Motors

Here is my last e-mail to GM regarding the warranty on my 2006 Cadillac Escalade. Hoping that one exec in the list will actually care about my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Mail to General Motors
    tobob.lutz@gm.com
    cclarry.burns@gm.com,
    robert.s.osborne@gm.com,
    steve.shannon@gm.com,
    steven.j.harris@gm.com,
    alan.lowenthal@gm.com,
    newsmanager@foxnews.com,
    bizops@cnn.com,
    silverman@cfrb.com,

dateThu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    subjectLetter to General Motors: Cadillac will not honour my warranty on a 2006 Escalade
    mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 2:22 PM (1 minute ago)

General Motors Corporation
    GM Corporate Affairs/Community Relations
    General Motors Corporation
    100 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265
    313-667-3800
    313-556-5000

To whom this may concern,

I was miss-treated by the dealer because I stood up for my rights and questioned their business practices. During the same visit, all but a few quick and high return jobs were declined under warranty and the District Service Manager comes clean about my REAL Cadillac Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Back in July/09 I had brought my truck to Myers Cadillac in Ottawa for some simple warranty work and maintenance. I was provided a Cadillac DTS as a loaner from the Budget counter inside the dealership. The following day, the rental died on my way to work. The car got towed to the dealer and they gave us our truck back as it was ready. A few hours later we received a call from my service advisor, Cory Egan, telling me there was water in the gas and that I was responsible for the damages. I had to pay $1600.00 in repairs right away or, for every day that the vehicle is out of service, I would be billed additional rental costs. This was odd as the car was filled the night before at the gas station. I called my insurance company and the adjuster took a look at the car. The adjuster told me there was only $830.00 in damages. Upset that I was being mislead, I posted on a car club forum that I am a member of for advice. Here is the link: http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=28261 After dealing with the district manager of Budget via e-mail, budget agreed to pay my insurance deductible. Case was closed.

Two months later (September 9th 2009) I brought my truck to Myers Cadillac for a few cosmetic warranty concerns (some were repeats). I advised them that I was heading out of town and would not be back until September 15th 2009. This is the letter I found in my work e-mail dated September 10th 2009:

Sent: September 10, 2009 1:21 PM
    To: Eric.Villeneuve
    Cc: Marc Seguin [mseguin@myers.ca]; bob rintoul [brintoul@myers.ca];
    Subject: Internet Blog

Good morning Eric,

We were contacted by General Motors about some blogs and posts you made on the j-body and Cadillac forums. A GM rep came accross them and contacted the Customer Care Centre and asked them to contact us.Thank you for the positive comments you previously posted about the great service Myers and myself have provided you in the past. But I am saddened and dissapointed that you would now present Myers and myself (by name)in such a negative light concerning the issues with the Budget rental during the summer. You posted in your blog that the only reason you were being charged for the repairs was for Myers' financial gain due to the poor economy. This is not only inacurate but it is slanderous. In one post on j-body.com you even insinuated that Myers was fraudulently performing repairs on the rental in order to hold you responsible for the cost of the repairs Here is your quote-"I'm starting to think something else was up and they are trying to make me pay for repairs..". The rental clearly had a non warrantable breakdown due to contaminated fuel and throughout the entire repair process Myers and myself not only kept you fully informed of what was going on with the repairs but it was Myers and myself that pressured Budget to absorb your insurance deductible. So the only one who truly gained finalcially was yourself.

You quoted later in a post that "Calling my insurance company was a knee jerk reaction to the threats from the dealer. I admit that I panicked at the high cost of repairs combined with having to pay the additional rental costs for ever day the car is down.". I fail to see how Myers or more inportantly myself threatened you. You quoted in one post, an e-mail that I had sent to you with the estimate breakdown but forgot to include the part where I suggest you contact your insurance company or credit card provider to see if they can offer assistance. Doesn't sound threatening to me.

You also posted the original estimate given to you was $1600.00. The insurance company said it was $830.00 . The dollar amounts don't matter. What matters is the fact you didn't mention that the estimate we gave vs the insurance estimates were different because the insurance company may have been pricing out used or aftermarket parts and the labor they allow is usually less time than the job actually takes.Any body shop can verify this. So no... we were not trying to "take you to the cleaners".

You failed to mention in any of your posts that fact that Myers and Budget were hoping to not have that incident tarnish our buisness relationship and even after Budget had paid your deductible the fact that they are still willing to allow you to drive their vehicles. Our service Director even sent an e-mail to Budget pleading your case. Due to privacy issues this e-mail is not attached but is available for you to read if you choose.

Myers Cadillac Chevrolet is the number one dealer in customer satisfaction in the country and have been for over a year and a half. We got that way by treating all of our customers with dignity, compassion and respect. Something else you also failed to mention.

As far as the current repairs to your Escalade they will be treated the same as any other Cadillac customer but after that it may be best that Myers and yourself part ways as we obviously cannot provide you with the level of service you require.

Feel free to post this e-mail in any of your posts and blogs so the public can hear both sides of the story.

Cory Egan
    Service Consultant
    Myers Cadillac Chevrolet
    1200 Baseline Rd Ottawa On
    K2C-0A6
    613-225-1260
    My reply to this e-mail can be found in a thread here: http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=29065

When Myers Cadillac asked me to come and pickup my truck, all but a few warranty complaints were resolved. Even the repeat claims (the ones I had repaired and became faulty once again) were declined by the DMS (Randy) due to “Wear and Tear”.

We had a meeting with the Service director at Myers Cadillac (Mark Seguin) and the DSM for Ottawa Ontario, Randy. They would not offer any explanations as to what caused the wear and tear on my warranty claims. (Headlamps have a white film inside, trim becoming unglued from the body, chrome peeling off the wheels, etc). They said that even though my truck is still under its 4 year bumper to bumper and under the 80K Km. that these items were getting old and prone to failing. My argument is: Should Cadillac not at least design its trucks to outlast its manufacturers warranty under normal operating conditions? After much conversation, the DSM (Randy) agreed to have the passenger leather seat replaced as promised previously by Myers Cadillac and pay half the cost of refinishing my chrome wheels. After some research and the help of other automotive enthusiasts, I came across this General Motors bulletin:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models: 1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
    2003-2008 HUMMER H2
    2006-2008 HUMMER H3
    2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss1-2037107">The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).
    <A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss2-2037107">Information Sources for Wheel Issues

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminium wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
    Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
    Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
    Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
    Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

• Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

• Polished or machined aluminium wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) this condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

• Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

• Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

• Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

• Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).

I have tried to contact the DSM through Mary Clark at Cadillac customer relations

The DSM offered me a multitude of examples as to similar warranty claims that were approved but the vehicles was newer Less then 2 years or 40K Km or it was still the original owner who had it. My warranty booklet clearly states that my warranty is fully transferable and nowhere does it state that the bumper to bumper warranty is divided into a 2 year / 40K km where everything is covered and the last 2 years 40K km where only powertrain is covered. To be sure of this, I contacted several GM dealerships inquiring about a new Cadillac Escalade, Pretending to have an older model out of warranty. I asked about the same issues I am having today and if it would be covered under warranty. They all confirmed it would and all the calls have been recorded. Therefore, either General Motors dealerships are misleading customers or General Motors is not backing up their warranty as they should.

In my last conversation with Myers Cadillac’s service director (Marc Seguin) he also confirmed that the wheels on my Escalade were of a pour design and he has seen many returns because of the same issue. Thankfully this was also recorded.

I have been a General Motors fan since as far as I can remember. My passion started with an 84 Pontiac Fiero, then an 85 Fiero Gt, I still own my 86 Fiero GT Fastback, my 97 Pontiac Sunfire, my 2000 Sunfire GT, my 1997 GMC Suburban K1500, my 2002 GMC Envoy, my 1998 Pontiac Montana and finally today, my 2006 Cadillac Escalade. Sadly. after the way I have been treated, I will never buy a GM product again.

Thank you,
    Eric Villeneuve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: My last e-mail to General Motors

NEW UPDATE!

Got a call today from a 905 number. For the sake of good faith, I will not disclose her name or phone number.

She claims to be from the General Motors Executive Review Center and is calling in response to a letter I have sent to Mr. Lutz (GM CEO).

She did say that the issues with the the dealer can't be commented on as this is between myself and the dealer. Now I don't totally agree to this as the dealer carries the GM logo and represents GM to me. But you pick your battles.

I gave her a quick explanation as to what was going on and that I want my outstanding warranty issues addressed. She did give me the impression that she was actually listening to what I had to say and was not at all defensive. (This is a big plus! it does not mean she agrees with me, but it made the whole conversation calm and productive)

She said she would review the issues and get back to me next week.

I want to give the Executives at GM a chance to make things right and finally put a close to this rather dark chapter in my Cadillac ownership experience.

I will keep you guys posted as to the outcome!

Well as of today (Friday October 16th) More then a week has past since I received a call from the General Motors Executive Review Center. She had promised to get back to me withing a week. We are now past the deadline and i haven't received as much as a followup call to let me know they are still working on my case.

Looks like I've hit yet another dead end with General Motors customer service. The "Cadillac Ownership Privileges" are, thus far, quite a let down....

:icon_roll

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Let us know if the dealer ever gets your Cadillac roadworthy again...

chromesons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

A challenge or an assurance with encouragement? l0l

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.