Cadillac continues to disappoint me...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Cadillac continues to disappoint me... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    CaptainFishpond is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 99 DeVille (Grace Slick)

Cadillac continues to disappoint me...

For decades and decades Cadillac was the true leader of American luxury and innovation. When you saw a Cadillac there was no mistaking it for anything else, it was unique. Now a days Cadillac is following the trends instead of setting them. They are producing cookie cutter cars that are less and less unique. Take for example the STS and CTS, when the hell did a Catera ever look like a Seville? Even worse is that Cadillac is spending the most time and money advertising a 6 cylinder car, cookie cutter car. I know I know, you have to go with the times and the times call for better fuel economy. But you donít have to sacrifice principal along the way. Another example of straying from tradition is the lack of individuality each car in the current line up has, with the exception of maybe the DTS. All the CTS's and STS's I see are white, black, or tan. There doesnít seem to be as much color in production of these cars. The way Cadillac is going about advertising is a whole other story, in my opinion they have it all wrong. I donít think they have the right to be pretentious anymore. The future of Cadillac to come scares me; Iím just glad that all the ones that I want to drive have already been produced and are out there. I know everyone has there own opinion, and this is mine.

Good day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Cadillac continues to disappoint me...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFishpond View Post
    For decades and decades Cadillac was the true leader of American luxury and innovation. When you saw a Cadillac there was no mistaking it for anything else, it was unique. Now a days Cadillac is following the trends instead of setting them. They are producing cookie cutter cars that are less and less unique.
    What looks like the new CTS? You may not like it's styling, but it's certainly unique.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFishpond
    Take for example the STS and CTS, when the hell did a Catera ever look like a Seville?
    You're basing this upon... one generation (that was more a tarted up Opel than a real Cadillac)? Two out of the three generations share Cadillac styling cues. All automotive companies use a company design theme, it builds brand recognition.

Egg-crate grill, high corners, long hood, center crease. Your Deville shares as much with the Seville and Eldorado of it's time as the STS does with the CTS and XLR.

Even worse is that Cadillac is spending the most time and money advertising a 6 cylinder car, cookie cutter car. I know I know, you have to go with the times and the times call for better fuel economy. But you don’t have to sacrifice principal along the way.
    That 6 cylinder produces more horsepower than your car, and across a wider powerband. In a lighter engine. What exactly was the sacrifice?

Another example of straying from tradition is the lack of individuality each car in the current line up has, with the exception of maybe the DTS. All the CTS's and STS's I see are white, black, or tan. There doesn’t seem to be as much color in production of these cars.
    There are 9 color choices. Still, most owners seem to prefer to order them in black, silver and white. There are also numerous packages and options (far outnumbering those available on the aging DTS). There is no less 'individuality' than before.

The way Cadillac is going about advertising is a whole other story, in my opinion they have it all wrong. I don’t think they have the right to be pretentious anymore.
    For the first time in decades they are building a car from quality materials and earning respect. The interior in the CTS is the best in it's class. The performance available in the V-series is the best in the world.

It's the first time since the late 50's that Cadillac has had any right to brag about their cars.

The new CTS looks like any old CTS with a body kit. Im not impressed.

Yeah the Deville and Seville share styling cues, but there good looking cars. The CTS in my opinion is not, its euro styling is awkward.

The sacrifice was that Cadillac is marketing a mid size car as their bread winner. They are a full size luxury car company. Honestly you could take the Cadillac badges off the thing and it would look like a Toyota, especially the older ones. Its about time they made a little more power, and they make just a little bit more than the DeVille.

In my opinion they don't come close to sharing the individuality of the older models. As for interior, Ive rode in the CTS many a time and I will say that my old 88 Eldorado and 92 Seville were more comfortable hands down, as is the DeVille.

Id take any old Cadillac any day over the CTS.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I like the CTS very much - but I agree with you that Cadillac should have a proper full-size luxury car - and it should be their flagship. Even Hyundai has this.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Cadillac of the 80s and 90s is why GM is in horrible financial shape right now. I'll take my '04V and what Cadillac has to offer right now instead...

I think the LS6 is an awesome motor..... in a Vette.

Dont give the 80's and 90's to much credit for the bad shape GM is in now, its more complicated than that.... much more.

Dude, you're 22. You didn't truly experience cars of the 80s and 90s when they were new.

And an awesome motor is an awesome motor no matter what it powers. Talk of what you have a clue on, ummkay?

Ill be honest, I do like the V series Lac's a lot. Id just like the motor more in a Vette. I know the 80's were bad for GM.... and bad for every other American car company. I think the increase in quality and sales of Japanese and other foreign cars in the last ten years has almost everything to do with the shape that GM is in. Oh, and I have a clue about LS motors, I work with everything from LS1's to LS7's everyday.. including many a CTS-V.

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

I think Capt. does have a few very valid points...cadillac truly does not have a full size competetor to the 7-series or s-class...the 80's were hard on everyone, but in all fairness, the 90's were the intro of the northstar (despiite its problems it was still on par with some of the best), and the eldo and seville rework breaking the mold of generic caddys (and taking MT's COTY award)
    I think there advertising and marketing methods down right suck....half the world has no clue that the XLR's exist, and that the v-series will go head to head with an AMG or M and not bring shame to america.
    as far as deisgns, at least they are uniquly Caddilac, and they have gotten away from looking like a chromed chevy (as was the case with the 85-88 cars).
    And if given the option, I would love to have the 84 Coupe deville d'elegance I got to drive in high school....yeah, the 4.1 was gutless, but it was cadillac plush & styled all the way through.
    Yeah, the newer designes are nice, but i think alot of the details that set a cadillac apart have gotten lost in the mix...I truly enjoyed the loaded 07 STS we rented a few weeks ago (complete with a V8), howevery it still felt more GM parts bin then my 78 FWB.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Flagship cars are not money makers- they're image cars. The S-Class, 7 series and LS460 make up a very small part of their respective companies' portfolios, whereas they make the majority of their sales on the C-Class, 3 series and ES350 (respectively).

Cadillac has been rebuilding their company image from the ground up since 2000. After the failed Cimmaron and Catera experiments, they finally hit on a world class volume car in the CTS. Once they get 3 or 4 years worth of CTSs on the roads and in the magazines, Cadillac will have the credibility to ask $60k+ for a flagship car. Trying to launch a quality flagship before they've earned back the public perception would guarantee failure, no matter how good it is. Buyers will take one look and think "$65k for a Cadillac? Yeah right..." Observe what happened to the XLR. Great car that outperformed an SL500, but it was too soon- people balked at $80k for a Cadillac.

If people have spent the last 4 years reading about how awesome the CTS is however, they're going to think "Hmmm....people are always talking about how awesome their small car is, so maybe I should check it out."
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Point well taken, and totally correct, I think at times I am just a complete loyalist....I currently own an older 7 and s class that dont get driven, and would gladly drop top dollar for something from caddy that could compete, but as proved with the first generation of "bangle butt" 7-series, people buy on reputation regardless; and cadillac still has a way to come; but at least they are finally on the right track as far as product....it would be nice if they could get a decent marketing team.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFishpond View Post
    I think the LS6 is an awesome motor..... in a Vette.

Dont give the 80's and 90's to much credit for the bad shape GM is in now, its more complicated than that.... much more.
    Cadillac threw junk at us in the '80s and '90s. Except for the RWD last of the Fleetwoods with the "not quite an LT1", it was pretty much all crap.

I like the LS6 in my Caddy, if it weren't for the LS6 in the V I wouldn't have bought a CTS Now if they'll just put a LS3 in the CTS I'll get another.

You ought to go wring one out, then you're realize what toads the caddy's of old were.

I've owned about 10 Cadillacs, most were pigs.

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Its funny you say the DTS is the most innovative, when it is the ugliest of them all, looks like so many other cars out there, and lacks RWD.

If you are referring to any of my posts, I never said that the DTS was the most "innovative". I said it had the most individuality. What are all these cars that look like a DTS? And I know a lot of guys want the RWD but I live in a very snowy climate and like FWD. Its all irrelevant I guess, cause all of this is a matter of opinion.

Most people in snowy climates that actually know how to drive will prefer RWD since it gives you the most control in most situations. AWD obviously is best, but RWD is better than FWD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.