Cadillac continues to disappoint me... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Cadillac continues to disappoint me... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho Most people in snowy climates that actually know how to drive will prefer RWD since it ...
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Cadillac continues to disappoint me...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Most people in snowy climates that actually know how to drive will prefer RWD since it gives you the most control in most situations. AWD obviously is best, but RWD is better than FWD.
    +1

I live in a rural part of Michigan (which means I get to deal with snow and ice daily throughout the winter on roads with, to say the least, sub-par upkeep). I much prefer a balanced RWD vehicle like my CTS or BMW e30 over my numb handling Seville STS in the snow. Even traction from a stop (usually RWD's weakest attribute in slippery conditions) isn't really a problem if you have the foresight to shoe your car with a good set of Blizzaks when the weather turns cold and learn how to modulate your throttle.

King Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Mercedes-Benz E420

I've had issues getting traction from a standstill with RWD in the past, but maybe I just don't "actually know how to drive" or "have the foresight" to do those things. Haha, but seriously, I'd say each has its pros and cons for the snow. Traction control certainly helps.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by King Steve View Post
    I've had issues getting traction from a standstill with RWD in the past, but maybe I just don't "actually know how to drive" or "have the foresight" to do those things. Haha, but seriously, I'd say each has its pros and cons for the snow. Traction control certainly helps.
    Here's the problem. With RWD, the biggest hurdle is accelerating from a stop. Other than that, the RWD has it all over the FWD. If you start to skid with FWD, you're usually cooked. Aim the wheels, hope the ABS can slow you down some and pray you have enough room to stop. With RWD, if you start to skid, you always have some sort of hope in countersteering and giving it throttle.

Add in traction control and many stability control systems and RWD is a slam dunk over FWD these days...

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh View Post
    +1

I live in a rural part of Michigan (which means I get to deal with snow and ice daily throughout the winter on roads with, to say the least, sub-par upkeep). I much prefer a balanced RWD vehicle like my CTS or BMW e30 over my numb handling Seville STS in the snow. Even traction from a stop (usually RWD's weakest attribute in slippery conditions) isn't really a problem if you have the foresight to shoe your car with a good set of Blizzaks when the weather turns cold and learn how to modulate your throttle.
    I got my Town Car with traction control and all season tires that often sees snowy roads. It does have a tough time starting, but it tracks very well and the traction control is very intrusive. I couldn't spin it if I tried. And when I turn it off, I still have my fun...

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

RWD is more fun on ice, but the FWD has the point it an floor it option.

With FWD the snow tires hook up and drag you where ever you aim it.

My SDV's were excellent in the snow as was my Mom's '95 STS. I've never taken the V in the snow, I think the air dam would be a bit of a snow plow.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    RWD is more fun on ice, but the FWD has the point it an floor it option.

With FWD the snow tires hook up and drag you where ever you aim it.

My SDV's were excellent in the snow as was my Mom's '95 STS. I've never taken the V in the snow, I think the air dam would be a bit of a snow plow.
    In a straight line, sure. But other than that, it serves no purpose...

My SDV were old school big block RWD. They were great in the snow. The worst snow car I ever drove was a 300SD Turbo Diesel MBZ, that car SUcKED in the snow! Every time the turbo kicked in it did a 180 if you weren't paying attention. The good old days, Centra's, Fat tires and a stinky ass Turbo.

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Most people in snowy climates that actually know how to drive will prefer RWD since it gives you the most control in most situations. AWD obviously is best, but RWD is better than FWD.
    The only downside is that is gives slightly less traction, but its nice to be able to control your back end.

CaptainFishpond is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 99 DeVille (Grace Slick)

[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;1818739]Here's the problem. With RWD, the biggest hurdle is accelerating from a stop.

Um.. unless one does all of there winter driving on the highway, Id say that's a pretty big hurdle. I have had both RWD and FWD drive cars and I certainly know how to drive. I personally just don't like sitting on a 15 degree angle hill spinning my tires on the ice. To me, that's reason enough to drive a FWD.

Also, I don't want to have to "modulate my throttle" when driving in the snow. Or try not to come to a complete stop so that I don't loose traction. Id rather just drive and not have to worry about it, which is what I do now as I have never gotten stuck in snow in a FWD drive car... and I live in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFishpond View Post
    For decades and decades Cadillac was the true leader of American luxury and innovation. When you saw a Cadillac there was no mistaking it for anything else, it was unique. Now a days Cadillac is following the trends instead of setting them. They are producing cookie cutter cars that are less and less unique. Take for example the STS and CTS, when the hell did a Catera ever look like a Seville? Even worse is that Cadillac is spending the most time and money advertising a 6 cylinder car, cookie cutter car. I know I know, you have to go with the times and the times call for better fuel economy. But you donít have to sacrifice principal along the way. Another example of straying from tradition is the lack of individuality each car in the current line up has, with the exception of maybe the DTS. All the CTS's and STS's I see are white, black, or tan. There doesnít seem to be as much color in production of these cars. The way Cadillac is going about advertising is a whole other story, in my opinion they have it all wrong. I donít think they have the right to be pretentious anymore. The future of Cadillac to come scares me; Iím just glad that all the ones that I want to drive have already been produced and are out there. I know everyone has there own opinion, and this is mine.

Good day.
    Rick Wagoner is stepping down at the order of Prez. Obama.

I wonder what Mrs. Pelosi is going to try to force us to drive! Somehow I think your dissappointment with Cadillac is going to grow as will mine when she shuts down the CTS-V.

Um.. unless one does all of there winter driving on the highway, Id say that's a pretty big hurdle. I have had both RWD and FWD drive cars and I certainly know how to drive. I personally just don't like sitting on a 15 degree angle hill spinning my tires on the ice. To me, that's reason enough to drive a FWD.

Also, I don't want to have to "modulate my throttle" when driving in the snow. Or try not to come to a complete stop so that I don't loose traction. Id rather just drive and not have to worry about it, which is what I do now as I have never gotten stuck in snow in a FWD drive car... and I live in Cleveland.
    well fine, drive mindless then. I've also never been stuck in my Town Car with all season tires and I drive no matter what, over 60k miles a year. In Boston...

Bottom line is you get through more situations safely and have more control with RWD. Period. Anyone who KNOWS how to drive will know that...although I learned that before I was 22...

waffleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

"For the first time in decades they are building a car from quality materials and earning respect."
    • ehm, excuse me...but I would not call the inside of the CTS "quality material" when there are creaks and rattles everywhere. Just look at the 2008 CTS forum and you'll see tons of people complaining about that. That should NEVER happen in a 40K car - simply inexcusable.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Ill be honest, I do like the V series Lac's a lot. Id just like the motor more in a Vette. I know the 80's were bad for GM.... and bad for every other American car company. I think the increase in quality and sales of Japanese and other foreign cars in the last ten years has almost everything to do with the shape that GM is in. Oh, and I have a clue about LS motors, I work with everything from LS1's to LS7's everyday.. including many a CTS-V.
    GM was in hard shape LONG before 1999. It's only been the last 10,15 years or so that the quality problems have really shown results. You forget too quickly that its been about 5 years now that GM has been talking about extremely hard financial times.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The sacrifice was that Cadillac is marketing a mid size car as their bread winner. They are a full size luxury car company. Honestly you could take the Cadillac badges off the thing and it would look like a Toyota, especially the older ones.
    So they should market a DTS thats not going to sell? Caddy could put all their ad money into the DTS and it still wouldnt sell any better. It's just not competetive to anyone who is not a Cadillac afficianado.

Cadillac is a brand, not a full size luxury car company. They need to sell to survive. Advertising the car that sells the best and is most attractive is smart business.

Point to 1 Toyota...1 (any brand here) that looks like the CTS, of either gen. The CTS is about as distinct as you can get nowadays with regulations on everything, from MPG to pedestrian safety.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.