Cadillac needs to step up a level on the luxury platform - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Cadillac needs to step up a level on the luxury platform in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Rodya234 Let us not forget that James Watt came up with the unit we know as horsepower ...
    inurok is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V Black/Black

Re: Cadillac needs to step up a level on the luxury platform

Quote Originally Posted by Rodya234 View Post
    Let us not forget that James Watt came up with the unit we know as horsepower in order to give people something to relate to when they were looking at buying his steam engine. I see horsepower as simply a unit intended to sell cars. Despite the fact that a Genesis produces 375hp, my modded 4.9L Deville would run neck and neck if not beat one in 0-60 times and in the 60-90mph highway acceleration...with only 285hp. (For reference, my average 0-60 time is 5.6 seconds.)

I do acknowledge that the Genesis has a higher top speed, but where in the United States outside of a race environment can you legally drive at 160-170mph?

Everyone has been tripping over the Genesis lately, but the only points that sound impressive are the price and the horsepower rating. The DTS meets or exceeds in a lot of other major selling points. Considering that the resale value of a 2007 DTS would only be about 20-23,000 dollars now, you can bet which one I would buy.
    Your Fleetwood gets 0-60 in 5.6 with only 285 hp . WOW..My STS-V barely reaches that number with 469 hp. I think you might have to have your speedometer calibrated.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

^A C-body like mine is about 1000lbs lighter then your STS. It's actually lighter then a new Corvette ZR1.

hhkov8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

In Germany we have trouble with Cadillac warranty. The mean dealer for Europe went in bankrupty, no one knows if and when full warranty will be given for new Cadillac cars again. Now you have to pay first even for warranty works and then may hope to get your money back somewhere in future.

In Germany Cadillac cars are known as luxury cars. But most of the people here will not know the actual Cadillacs.

The XLR is as good as unknown here and there is no PR at all for it. The Escalade is rarely known, it is the same with the new STS. Sometimes you can find PR for BLS but you dont find them on our streets. CTS you can find very few cars here.

PR for Cadillac in Germany was and is more than bad. And in german newspapers american cars nearly always are tested worse than comparable cars - except C6 Corvette.

I am sure if there would be good PR for STS, CTS and XLR here (and if good and safe warranty would be offered...) a lot more people here would buy Cadillac. Because Cadillac builds good cars that are equal to Mercedes E and S, BMW 5 and 7, Audi A 6 and A 8 and so on. And Cadillacs are a lot cheaper than these cars.

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

^A C-body like mine is about 1000lbs lighter then your STS. It's actually lighter then a new Corvette ZR1.
    Now that is just ridiculous.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

From Corvette ZR1 spec sheet: 3520lbs
    From '91 Deville owners Manual: 3459lbs

And I just thought about that.....if you're struggling to get 5.6 seconds 0-60 with a STS-V(!) then I'd go back to whoever I got it from and make sure I got a real V, not just an STS with the V8 option. An STS-V should be able to 0-60 in around 4.8.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I have heard the CTS-V is lighter than the ZR1 too.

Probably why the CTS-V has less hp, can't risk the V beating the "flagship" of GM now can we? Every car that has EVER done that in GM history has been canned... 73-74 SD455 T/A, 80-81 Turbo T/A, 86-87 GNX, 89 Turbo T/A.... Well, they all were doomed within a model year....

Now we just do a software flash to slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Now that is just ridiculous.

Whell that sertanly splains why the ZR1 is such a pig at the ring.

From Corvette ZR1 spec sheet: 3520lbs
    From '91 Deville owners Manual: 3459lbs

And I just thought about that.....if you're struggling to get 5.6 seconds 0-60 with a STS-V(!) then I'd go back to whoever I got it from and make sure I got a real V, not just an STS with the V8 option. An STS-V should be able to 0-60 in around 4.8.
    Someone's been using Wikipedia.

And my CTS-V should put that away in 4.6.

LOL

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by hhkov8 View Post
    In Germany we have trouble with Cadillac warranty. The mean dealer for Europe went in bankrupty, no one knows if and when full warranty will be given for new Cadillac cars again. Now you have to pay first even for warranty works and then may hope to get your money back somewhere in future.

In Germany Cadillac cars are known as luxury cars. But most of the people here will not know the actual Cadillacs.

The XLR is as good as unknown here and there is no PR at all for it. The Escalade is rarely known, it is the same with the new STS. Sometimes you can find PR for BLS but you dont find them on our streets. CTS you can find very few cars here.

PR for Cadillac in Germany was and is more than bad. And in german newspapers american cars nearly always are tested worse than comparable cars - except C6 Corvette.

I am sure if there would be good PR for STS, CTS and XLR here (and if good and safe warranty would be offered...) a lot more people here would buy Cadillac. Because Cadillac builds good cars that are equal to Mercedes E and S, BMW 5 and 7, Audi A 6 and A 8 and so on. And Cadillacs are a lot cheaper than these cars.
    Warrantees have been secured by letter now. That has never been the problem though.
    You are right about the PR. I have been preaching that for the last 2 years here.

LashCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Black on Black V

Cadillac is already on the Luxury Platform-"something that is an indulgence rather than a necessity;lavishness: the quality possessed by something that is excessively expensive; wealth as evidenced by sumptuous living (DTS, STS, ESV)

Now Cadillac is offering performance "the act of performing; execution, accomplishment, fulfillment, etc; operation or functioning, usually with regard to effectiveness; as of a machine; something done or performed; deed or feat. (CTS-V and STS-V)"

Cadillac does both well. The problem is value (cost of ownership over a period of time, including operating, maintenance, depreciation and trade value).

Cars.com rates the DTS #1 cost to own-

"The DTS isn't just comfortable — it's smart, too. Cadillac's largest car leads the Cost of Ownership index thanks to seriously low insurance, maintenance and repair costs. The current generation may be headed for the exit, but it's still a smart choice overall."

Just wish I could say the same about my CTS value.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.