please build the CTS TT36!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, please build the CTS TT36! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Turbo is the future. Not only in diesel, but also in petrol. Fill the gap between 300 and 550 hp ...
    70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

please build the CTS TT36!

Turbo is the future. Not only in diesel, but also in petrol.
    Fill the gap between 300 and 550 hp with a 400-ish TT36

...and I will take the CTS Coupe TT36!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

asrapid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: please build the CTS TT36!

yeah..that would be a smart thing to do. So GM probably won't do it. Rumors are they've cancel works on future V6 TT

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

How is that guaranteed "smart"? There's a TON of R&D work to make a production TT engine that will go in enough applications to make it viable. 300 is enough for 90% of the buying public. Having an expensive 400hp AND a 568hp engine at the ready doesn't sound particularly smart...when GM is losing billions.

And my LS6 V with headers and a tune averaged 25mpg doing 2,000 miles to Chicago and back from Boston. I doubt a TT V6 is going to do any better...

asrapid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    How is that guaranteed "smart"? There's a TON of R&D work to make a production TT engine that will go in enough applications to make it viable. 300 is enough for 90% of the buying public. Having an expensive 400hp AND a 568hp engine at the ready doesn't sound particularly smart...when GM is losing billions.

And my LS6 V with headers and a tune averaged 25mpg doing 2,000 miles to Chicago and back from Boston. I doubt a TT V6 is going to do any better...
    What 400 HP? New Cadillac CTS doesn't has 400 HP and competition (here in Europe competition to cadillac cts is bmw 5 and E class offer engine with much more then 300 hp). They beat m5 and E amg (true they are old cars and replacement should come soon) in HP but they still got big hole between 300 and 570 HP. True most people don't need that much HP...but most people don't need Bmw with 400+ or mercedes with same hp and they both make that kind of car. It is image thing. Something what cadillac is losing..and will continue to lose as long as there isn't money to continue R&D TT V6 v8 and competitor to S class. And in class which cadillac is aiming at image play big role.
    I also doubt we will see LS3 coming between V and DI V6 also (there was old text on internet where Lutz ..i think it was Lutz...said something like there won't be any future ohv engines in cadillac after MCE of present CTS).That was before ultra v8 was cancelled.
    Not to mention that diesel engine should come from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
    What 400 HP? New Cadillac CTS doesn't has 400 HP and competition (here in Europe competition to cadillac cts is bmw 5 and E class offer engine with much more then 300 hp). They beat m5 and E amg (true they are old cars and replacement should come soon) in HP but they still got big hole between 300 and 570 HP. True most people don't need that much HP...but most people don't need Bmw with 400+ or mercedes with same hp and they both make that kind of car. It is image thing. Something what cadillac is losing..and will continue to lose as long as there isn't money to continue R&D TT V6 v8 and competitor to S class. And in class which cadillac is aiming at image play big role.
    I also doubt we will see LS3 coming between V and DI V6 also (there was old text on internet where Lutz ..i think it was Lutz...said something like there won't be any future ohv engines in cadillac after MCE of present CTS).That was before ultra v8 was cancelled.
    Not to mention that diesel engine should come from the start.

This is what I was referring to...

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Fill the gap between 300 and 550 hp with a 400-ish TT36

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post

Audi is going V6 turbo, BMW is going 6 cyl and V8 turbo and Mercedes is going V6 and V8 Turbo. Also Alfa Romeo is now slowly chiming in in that market with v6 turbo and all other brands who wants a share in the market is going v6 turbo.
    Why? Because you'll have V8 power in a fuel efficient V6. I bet you a TT36 will have a better mileage than a regular 3.6 or 3.6 DI on that same 2000 miles trip!

If Cadillac wants a share, they better play along...

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Audi is going V6 turbo, BMW is going 6 cyl and V8 turbo and Mercedes is going V6 and V8 Turbo. Also Alfa Romeo is now slowly chiming in in that market with v6 turbo and all other brands who wants a share in the market is going v6 turbo.
    Why? Because you'll have V8 power in a fuel efficient V6. I bet you a TT36 will have a better mileage than a regular 3.6 or 3.6 DI on that same 2000 miles trip!

If Cadillac wants a share, they better play along...
    You can try to make the case that a TT V6 will get better gas mileage than a V8(which will NOT happen on-boost), although a high hp V8 can make use of ultra tall gearing ala CTS-V and Corvette(25mpg on my '04 V without even trying). But I find it hard to believe that a TT version of an engine will EVER get better mpg than the NA of same said engine.

Combined mileage of a Turbo over a non-turbo same size engine will always be better, as the combustion is more efficient. Plus you get the extra power boost.

I agree on your 25mpg with a V or Corvette (the C6 even gets better than that), but a V8 will always lose on combined mileage, as the urban-mileage will be significantly worse than a V6.

Or at least it won't make a difference in mileage, but you do get more power. Example:

BMW 228I and 335i (both 3.0 liter engine) have exact same mileage.

Even Ford is going V6 3.5 TT

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-engine-68554/

GM can put the TT36 in so many cars...

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

I don't want a V6.

I do want a CTS that fills the empty space between 300 - 550 HP.

I'd like a CTS with a V8 that is not supercharged. Oh wait, I have one!

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

Agree 150% with this . Need a 400 HP V8. At one time there were rumors of a V8 for the standard CTS for 2009 , but it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    I don't want a V6.

I do want a CTS that fills the empty space between 300 - 550 HP.

I'd like a CTS with a V8 that is not supercharged. Oh wait, I have one!

Another point why a turbo V6 is important: Most taxes in Europe are based on either engine size or CO2 emission. A V8 will always be in disadvantage of the TT V6. Since Cadillac wants a piece of Europe, they better play along.

Here some more inspiration on why going turbo:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/15/o...ignia-opc-vxr/

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

I've owned turbos, I don't want another. They generate to much heat and cook everything under the hood.

I'll stick with a V8.

I guess if my wife wants a car the V6 might be a good chick ride.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.