taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Someone recently emailed me news that GM was issuing a recall for certain models and years where the fuel rail ...
    mig007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions

Someone recently emailed me news that GM was issuing a recall for certain models and years where the fuel rail malfunctioned by cracking and allowing gasoline to spray everywhere. Already 70 +- complaints have been made to the NHTSA regarding the above. Several fires have resulted, but no serious injuries so far. Unfortunately I called GM and the spokesperson denied a recall.

GM has already issued a recall for Oldsmobile Aurora using the same fuel rail. The spokesperson claimed the fuel rails are different between the two makes. Come on, the symptoms are the same regarding the malfunctions between the two. To differentiate only shows how Cadillac is still not ready to take the necessary steps to equal its competitors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Re: taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions

Posted from www.caddyinfo.com :

I got the same post as many of you, and i actually DO need to replace my fuel rail. So how come when i went over to the caddy dealership they looked at me like i was from mars. They said we never heard of any fuel rail recall on the Seville at all. So i went home called up the phone number of the website from the link of the previous post, and they said yes caddy does have a recall and u should call up cadillac directly. They gave me caddys number and i called them up, they said that they never heard of any recall either. So.... whats up with this recall? is it a big joke or what?

Logan Posted: Jun 22 2004, 01:32 PM

Logan Diagnostics

Group: CaddyInfo Contributor
    Member: 2
    Where: Nashville

Fake DTS

The '95-97s were added to the recall....maybe 8 weeks ago...

Its the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

GM as a corporation has decided to recall the fuel lines.

Dealerships, are independently owned. So it will take a little time for them to be notified also.

Someone else on this board had the same exact problem. I think they had GM do a 3 way call to the dealer and inform them that, yes, there is a recall, replace the plastic line now with a new one, then when the SS replacements are available, install one of those. All at no charge.

The recall is also available on the NHTSA website. It has also been posted on Bruces site also.

--------------------

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

Logan Posted: Jun 22 2004, 03:02 PM

Logan Diagnostics

Group: CaddyInfo Contributor
    Member: 2
    Where: Nashville

Fake DTS

Here is the bulletin from the NHTSA website:

NHTSA Action Number : EA04003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V110000
    Make : CADILLAC Model: DEVILLE
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1995
    Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    Date Investigation Opened : February 3, 2004
    Date Investigation Closed : April 23, 2004
    Summary:
    ON MARCH 3, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS RECALLING APPROXIMATELY 94,000 MY 1995-97 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES (RPO L47 - VIN8 "C") TO ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE FROM CRACKED FUEL RAILS AND, IN SOME OF THE VEHICLES, CRACKED FUEL RETURN LINES. ACCORDING TO GM, THE NYLON TUBING (PA12) USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION IN THESE VEHICLES MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. GM'S SUPPLIER ATTRIBUTED THE CRACKING TO THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGN STRESSES. IN ADDITION, GM STATED THAT THE MY 1995 AURORA USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY ALSO CRACK AT UNUSUALLY HIGH RATES. GM DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTED OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL IN ALL OF THE RECALLED VEHICLES AND WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE IN THE MY 1995 AURORAS. ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

Try printing that out and show it to your dealer.

--------------------

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

tekfx19 Posted: Jun 23 2004, 08:30 PM

Observer (3-9 posts)

Group: Registered
    Member: 292
    Where: Not Given

1996 Caddy STS

thanx logan very much for the additional info. So im gonna have to go to the dealership with a gm rep in my trunk now, or maybe give a phonecall to someone, do u or anyone else on the board know which facet of gm to call that 1) knows about the recall, and 2) has the power to make the dealership give me a new one.

Rick201m is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 Deville DHS

I have the same problem. My fuel rail has a pinhole leak and is gushing raw gasoline all over the engine. Amazing that there was no fire and especially with my wife driving it at the time! I've printed out the letter posted here about GM expanding the recall but they still say there's no recall. Does anybody have an update on what one can do? My vehicle is sitting at the dealership still waiting one way or the other. They've offered that if I repair it and is a recall, then I can submit to GM to get reimbursed. Yeah....in about 3 yrs time, I bet! Please any help is appreciated. Thanks Rick in Colorado

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Try looking at the NHTSA website......there may be a way to post issues about dealers/ recalls runarounds...

Seeing the same problem with Corvette steering columns locking up.....there is a recall.....but the corvette guys and the dealers do not know about it.

Same issue on the Cadillac fuel lines, they have been recalled, they will be replaced with stainless steel. You can try a search on www.caddyinfo.com .
    Someone there had a 3 way call between them, GM, and the local cadillac dealer. On the phone GM gave the OK for the dealer to replace the current leaking plastic one.....with a new plastic replacement......and then when the SS ones make it there.....replace the plastic one with the SS one.

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

mig007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions

Cadillac has decided to take the high road as far as reimbursing me for the costs incurred in repairing the fuel rail, and issued me a check. Tom Brown at Cadillac contacted me and professionally and effectively took care of the matter. My hat is off to Mr. Brown of Cadillac. I recommend anyone else with the same issue contact him at 866-942-4368, ext 47740/

gust_1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00' sts

my little brother owns a 95 sts and got that letter a couple weeks ago. is this something worth looking into then?

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Yes

gust_1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00' sts

well, my little brother ended up needing it done. last month he was comin home from college and he said he lost all his gas and the car died. upon further inspection it was a bad fuel rail. well, he has since gone to cadillac and gotten it fixed for free and all is well.

caddinomore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions

I am pleading with any of you who are having problems with the fuel rail, please insist on getting it repaired. The recall number is 04014. I started smelling gas on Fri., Aug 28. I made an appointment to have it looked at for the following Wed., Sept.1. On Tues. Aug 31 I was waiting in line at school to pick up my grandson. I had turned off the car while in line. When I started the car, I heard a loud backfire sound, and my car immediately went up in flames. Luckily I was not hurt and neither was anyone that was near the car. I was advised to call GM to see if there were any recalls for the fuel system, and when I called them, I was informed that a recall was being mailed out the week of Sept.4 and true to form I received it about a week later. Too little, too late. My car was totaled and that's when the real nightmare began. GM at first seemed very cooperative, the inspector they sent agreed that it was definitely the fuel rail defect that caused the fire. But after many delays from GM asking for copies of the purchase price, extended warrenty, etc., on Oct. 18 they offered to buy back the car for less than my insurance company offered me. When I refused her "final" offer, (I had not received any other offers), I was told there is no room for discussion and it was a take it or leave it situation. She hung up and has refused to return my calls. I have emailed GM assistance about 4 times this past week and all I get back is the same form letter signed by different people.

When the representative called me On Oct.18, she told me they had no other price in mind from day 1 of the accident, so I don't understand why they asked for my purchase price and all of the other documentation. I am furious, but cannot even get my problem acknowledged by GM. Any suggestions?

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Caddinomore,

I'm glad no one was hurt in your fire - thank goodness.

The easiest thing for you to do is to turn to your insurance carrier and insist they make good on the value of the car. Don't just accept the first number the insurance folks throw at you (just like you didn't with Cadillac) - you can still negotiate with them. Just be prepared with your numbers and stand firm.

Once the insurance folks know that Cadillac has some role in the issue - such as responsibility for the failed fuel rail - they have the right of subrogation against GM. This essentially means that they'll pay you and then go after GM to get reimbursed. Not only will your settlement be higher - because the insurance company KNOWS they have another responsible party - you'll also be able to write off the fight with GM.

Believe me, the insurance folks are way better positioned to fight with GM than you are, and the nasty witch at GM will certainly be in a much poorer bargaining position when it's State Farm's lawyers knocking on her office door.

Best of luck!

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by jworkmans
    Believe me, the insurance folks are way better positioned to fight with GM than you are, and the nasty witch at GM will certainly be in a much poorer bargaining position when it's State Farm's lawyers knocking on her office door.

Best of luck!
    LOL, thanks for the laugh. Well said!

Jon Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: taking the high road on reimbursement for fuel rail malfunctions

I have a 1996 Seville STS. Despite having all service work performed at my local Cadillac dealer, nothing was ever said about the fuel rail recall. Three weeks ago, the car quit running while on the freeway. I had it towed to the dealership, $120.00. Dealership called and informed me that the fuel rail were the source of the problem and that GM would pay for replacement. I went to pick up the car and was presented with a bill for $51.00 for diagnostics and was informed that the tow bill would not be picked up.

I paid the bill and drove home. Car quite twice on way home. Managed to get it started and returned to dealership. Fuel pump needed to be replaced. Could there be any correlation between the first problem and fuel pump failure. I had the original fuel pump replaced less than 30,000 miles ago.

Jon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.