I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects. They both have good targets to aim for ...
    Cadence is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate

I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects. They both have good targets to aim for on the market and with the competitive pricing, it's going to be very hard to ignore them for the value that they really are. But there seems to be an undergoing issue with the STS, as far as the styling is concern. Some faithful followers like myself can't seem to help but feel like the '05 STS is a bigger, bulkier version of the CTS. It seems to be having some kind of identity crisis. Some say it looks like a cross between a CTS and a Deville. I guess in time, it will wear off on us that are currently disappointed.

I must admit that the styling of the STS disappointed me quite a bit, I was expecting something more along the lines of the Cien or XLR, with a bit of interior styling from the Eighteen. While the styling cues here fits the CTS very well, they leave something more to desire on the STS. The STS is thought of as the flagship by many, and yet, it doesn't seem to have an established target on the market.

If the CTS has the BMW 3 series and the smaller Mercedes-Benz in it's sights, the STS needs to have the BMW 5 series and the middle road Mercedes in it's sights as well. I feel that in order for Cadillac to take over the market from BMW and Mercedes, they need to play on the "playground" that BMW and Mercedes built for themselves and their fans. The CTS is doing very well in this case, but the STS already seems to need to play catch up.

BMW and Mercedes have established themselves in the aftermarket, as well as the market, attracting younger and older fans alike. Aftermarket is where BMW and Mercedes actually retains their buyers for the long haul. With after marketing, the buyer of the vechicles can actually make thier cars, their very own, with it's own distinct look and feel. I just turned 29, and have been a big fan of the Seville and Eldorado since '92. My Family at one time owned three Sevilles (a base model '92, a '96 STS and a '97 STS). My family still feels that the Seville and STS can be just as superior as the Mercedes and BMW, as long as the effort to improve is there. And for the longest time now, I wished that I too, could make my car "mines".

Styling is just one end of the spectrum, of course, the other side that has many Cadillac followers giddy is the performance side. We're just wishing that Cadillac would be more accepting to this notion. We're not asking for anything outrageous, just the chance to make our cars just as respectable as our peers, who seemingly to turn their noses up at us, whenever they see us coming. We know that you take pride in the work that you do in house, but believe it or not, the car buyers have ideas for these vehicles as well, that's both performance wise and styling cues.

I know what this company is capable of doing, if you play your cards right, you could very well run the table in the industry. But you keep slapping on the muzzle everytime your projects finally start to get some "bite" to go with that loud "growl". Many fans of Cadillac, such as myself, are waiting on you to grab the competition by the throat and force the industry and the critics to take notice once and for all. You have the means, we know you do after seeing the STSi a few years ago. What we're asking of you is to stop teasing us and give us the Full Monty once and for all. We can't drive concept cars, but at least give us the ability to make our own cars, our very own "prototypes".

Once again, I'd like to commend Cadillac on the CTS and XLR projects. These two should be mainstays for many years to come. Making subtle styling cues to these two cars should be the only major changes over a time. The pricing of the XLR and CTS raised a few eyebrows, considering the performance of the CTS over the XLR. But other than that, great job with the CTS and XLR, and we all know you can only get better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

P.S.

Please excuse me for calling the "Sixteen" , the "Eighteen".

jerseyvette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cadence
    I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects. They both have good targets to aim for on the market and with the competitive pricing, it's going to be very hard to ignore them for the value that they really are. But there seems to be an undergoing issue with the STS, as far as the styling is concern. Some faithful followers like myself can't seem to help but feel like the '05 STS is a bigger, bulkier version of the CTS. ...than that, great job with the CTS and XLR, and we all know you can only get better.
    You and I agree 100%. I am getting bashed for speaking up on my other posts by member dealers. COme on into teh forums and help me out. See 2005 STS forum links...

gloria smith is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: I really like the way Cadillac handled the CTS and XLR projects.

You Do?
    Read Two Thumbs Down!

This is my first time reading this post after nearly a year. And I have to say that I'm very impressed with the direction they took the CTS-V and the STS-V in. Although the styling for the STS-V still looks kind of bulky, the performance of the car in general overpowers the image.

Can't be perfect all the time, but nobody says you shouldn't try to be.

I'm glad that the aftermarket and tuners have embraced these cars as well. Mallet and Lingenfelter (especially Lingenfelter, they've always had awesome products at their disposal). I think this is only the begining for what should be a long running cult following for Cadillac for years to come.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Cadillac nailed it with the CTS and XLR design. The CTS has great potential in Europe and I think the BLS will be a very suitable European success. You can tell that Cadillac is now getting smarter in the world market.

Though I agree the STS and DTS look a little too much derived from the CTS. They deserve a little more self image. Especially the STS could use some more agressive looks, it looks too nice. Like Cadence said, the appearance of the STS-V can't be taken serious when you would compare it to an M5 or Mercedes S.

And oh, I would love to see that Sixteen in production. I don't know if Cadillac can afford such an exclusive model, but it could well compete with the Maybach. I don't understand why Cadillac couldn't give the STS and DTS a smart, agressive look like the Sixteen. The Sixteen was my big surprise and hope that Cadillac was back in the market with revolutionary ideas. Be indeed the standard of the world. Again, for it's class the CTS is a hughe succes, but it should not be the only style for the whole fleet.

Put some balls in it Cadillac! You can do it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.