Lease is up at end of June -- what to do?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: What would you do if this was your STS?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the car at lease end, and hope for the best

0 0%
  • Turn the car in, and lease a newer Caddy

4 100.00%
  • Turn the car in, and buy a Buick

0 0%
  • Walk away from Caddy, and buy a BMW (or Lexus)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, Lease is up at end of June -- what to do? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; An open letter to "The Experts," I've been reading these postings on and off for about two years now, and ...
    Lagging Larry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF+

Lease is up at end of June -- what to do?

An open letter to "The Experts,"

I've been reading these postings on and off for about two years now, and it seems like many of you have a pretty good understanding of Cadillacs in general, and STS's in particular. So if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question, and ask for your opinion.

But first, let me give you some background. I have an 05 STS, Loaded, (only option missing is the Tuscony leather), and there are 40 days left on my lease. I need to make the buy or bye-bye decision.

I like (love) the car, but I have some serious quality concerns. This car has been in the shop so many times, for so many days, it qualifies as a lemon under the California Lemon law. I've tried to get in contact with somebody at Cadillac to vent my concerns, but I can't get past my dealer to get a name.

Here are some of the problems that I've had to deal with:
    • It took 2 dealerships, 6 trips, and almost 2 years to finally get the ACC working correctly.
    • I've got the whinny rearend problem. The first time it took 4 trips, 2 dealerships, and 2 years to resolve. Now it's starting up all over again.
    • It took 2 dealerships and 3 trips and a year and a half to get rid of the "fart" in the dash. It was funny at first, but it stopped being funny after about 6 months.
    • I don't dare use any of the voice commands while I'm driving, as the seat or steering wheel could start moving on me.
    • Car's in the shop getting front rotors and pads, as they're worn out at 42K.
    • My radio has Alzheimer's -- it forgets radio pre-sets from one driver to the next. I've given up on this one after 6 trips trying to get it fixed.
    And there are may other items not listed above. It just seems like one problem after another keeps cropping up. Sometimes I feel like I've been a Beta tester for the 08 CTS -- only I had to pay dearly to do so.

So my question is do you know anybody at Cadillac that I can speak to about this? I'm struggling to find some way to keep this car at lease end, but paying $36K feels way overpriced. If I could get this down to fair market value of $25-26K, that would most likely cause me to keep the car. But right now, I'm leaning towards walking away from the car (and Cadillac), even if it costs me $2k at lease end. This could be my first (and last) Caddy.

As for the opinion, what sort of life-span should this car have? This car has a ton of electronics on it, and repairs will be costly once out of warranty (one more year or 8K miles). This scares the crap out of me. If I do decide to keep it, how can I prevent this car from bleeding my wallet?

If you want more details, I'll be happy to provide them.

Thanks in advance to all that take the time to read this and comment,

Larry

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Lease is up at end of June -- what to do?

I think the answer is self-evident ............. DUMP THE CAR!

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

With that many problems and more to come it`s a no brainer----turn in the car and lease a newer Caddy.You`re bound to have better luck with another vehicle.
    If you turn it in, i feel sorry for the next owner.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Only reason to buy at lease end over market value is because you love the car and it has been reliable. One out of two does not cut it. Follow the above advice (and this is from a guy that intends to buy his Lade at way way over market value at lease end because it has been a gem).

Don't give up on caddy though, try another - you will have better luck. I certainly have with my several Caddys.

Lagging Larry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF+

Thanks to all for your advice. GMAC is now the proud owner of a 2005 STS.

Not sure what I'm going to do for a replacement. So I'm going to drive my 13 year old Buick while I decide if I want to wait for the 09's, lease an '08, or look for a low mileage '06 or '07 and buy it.

With gas around $5 a gallon here in California, demand for used (or new) STS's with Northstars should be pretty soft.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Lagging Larry View Post
    With gas around $5 a gallon here in California, demand for used (or new) STS's with Northstars should be pretty soft.

Agree. Should be able to get a great deal!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.