2001 STS rust passenger door
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, 2001 STS rust passenger door in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; HI, just bought a 2001 STS. On the passenger front door up about 4" from the bottom the paint is ...
    yam700 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

2001 STS rust passenger door

HI, just bought a 2001 STS. On the passenger front door up about 4" from the bottom the paint is raised about an 2" in diameter. It is a bunch of pin sized bumps. The paint is not broken and the rust is from the inside out. I was a GM tech for 17 years and I know that if the paint was chipped that would have been the cause for entry. The paint is fine so this has occurred from the inside. Will GM do anything or should I take it to the dealer were I worked and see if we can possibly do a 50/50 split for the repairs? Any help would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: 2001 STS rust passenger door

Quote Originally Posted by yam700 View Post
    HI, just bought a 2001 STS. On the passenger front door up about 4" from the bottom the paint is raised about an 2" in diameter. It is a bunch of pin sized bumps. The paint is not broken and the rust is from the inside out. I was a GM tech for 17 years and I know that if the paint was chipped that would have been the cause for entry. The paint is fine so this has occurred from the inside. Will GM do anything or should I take it to the dealer were I worked and see if we can possibly do a 50/50 split for the repairs? Any help would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks,
    Rob
    It`s certainly worth a try to take your STS to the dealer where you worked and possibly get a 50/50 split.The fact that you worked there might carry some weight.
    Whether GM does anything or not depends on how the "rust warranty" is worded.
    Good luck to you.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It might be the result of a roadside bodyshop repair. You might want to pull the upholstery and look at the inside before you make a fool of yourself.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

yam700 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

Thanks for the replies, I want to pull the panel before I take it in anyway. I liked to be well armed with info before attempting anything.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Is this on the outside of the door ?
    I have almost the exact same thing in round the same area. But not as large in diameter. Mine is bout the diameter of a dime...if that.

The paint is not broken. The clear coat is fully intact. At first glance it does appear to look like rust is permeating from under the paint.
    But mine is not rust.
    It is not near an area that water could have penetrated through and is beginning to rust. The clear coat is fully intact with no scratches any where near.
    One of my best friends brothers is a body man. I have a close neighbor that runs/manages a very reputable body shop, as well as my wife that has worked for PPG Canada foir 16 years. She is in marketing for refinish, and knows many, as well as a lot about automotive finishes.
    All those that I have talked to have assured me that what I have is not rust.

Something was not cleaned properly is all. Mine is not that big. But noticeable and definetally irritating.
    In the years Ive had the car it has not gotten any bigger. So I believe that they are all correct in there diagnosis.

If you are absolutely positive that it is rust, then you should do something about it.
    But if it is not......then your best to leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is remove a factory finish if not necessary.
    To fix that 2 inch diameter most of the door will have to be done. The whole bottom under the trim/form.
    As well as blending above and around. And that just thins the clear.
    A re-finish will never last as long as factory.

So unless your positive that it is actually rust. If it doesnt get any larger or flake and peel. Then you should attempt to live with it.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by yam700 View Post

Thanks,
    Rob
    I think they will tell you that you purchased a 7-8 year old used car. I am not saying it is right, I am just saying that you knew about it when you bought it and I am not expecting much GM sympathy on this one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.