2001 Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, 2001 Catera in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Like most catera owners I love my car BUT... everything that could go wrong did with this car. My complaint ...
    smss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2001 Catera

Like most catera owners I love my car BUT... everything that could go wrong did with this car. My complaint is that my warranty expired on 7/11/07. On 7/10/07 it was at the dealer for low oil pressure. oil light on. The dealer added 1/2 qt. oil and sent me on my way. This was at 72146 miles. Check engine light,coolant light were on at 60,366 miles. Engine light on, no power on hills 58,947 miles. Oil light on at 51,613 miles. Radiator light at 41,980. The comments were: can't duplicate customer concern. Other items are headlight wiring assembly replaced 3-4 times. List is long so I'll stop here. PROBLEM: On Nov. 9 at 76,784 miles engine had noise- currently at Cadillac dealer with blown engine!!!! Cadillac rep wants engine pulled at my expense (quoted $1000.00) to inspect. Service mgr. says its probably the oil pump, car had been at an independent shop prior to towing to cadillac and they say same thing. ( I had already paid them $550.00 to inspect engine before Cadillac wanted it towed to their dealer)Said problem didn't happen in last 5,000 miles. Been going on for awhile. Told by Cad. service mgr. that cadillac most probably wouldn't cover anything on my car even though its only 4K miles out of warranty and had been in for oil problems previously. Also told since parts are hard to come by, I should just take the loss. I bought car used from a cadillac dealer and still owe on it, so just dumping the car is not feasible. Dealer said repairs would be about $7K and if Cadillac did anything it would be less than 1/2. Dealer said they would be happy to sell me a new car. I feel Cadillac should cover all expenses on this car since it was brought in during warranty period and nothing was done. At this point I will not even consider a GM vehicle and we need to buy 3 cars in the next 2-3 months in our family. I LOVE my catera and would like to have it repaired and hopefully Cadillac will take care of me and do the right thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: 2001 Catera

Catera =

Used Catera =

I am always amazed at people who buy worn out, used Cadillacs, with shiny paint and have some expectation from GM to fix a third owner, clunker vehicle that's way out of factory warranty. Is there any company anywhere that does free repairs on items out of warranty? I'm even more amazed at the vast number of people who find this place to gripe about the poor quality of their used third owner Cadillac. If they'd have bothered to come here and research before buying we'd have saved most of them lots of heartache.

Your expectations are unreasonable. You should have purchased the 100k extended waranty instead of going the cheap route buying the less expensive one. If I were to buy a Catera I would want all the warranty money could possibly buy.

Since you've sworn off GM, when you go buy a used Toyota or Nissan or whatever, I suggest you have a third party certified mechanic inspect the vehicle thoroughly to protect yourself. Since you are able to use the internet I also suggest you research the make and model before you buy. All makes have their black sheep models that are known to be high maintenance.

Live and learn.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Z06 Bird said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    I want to understand your situation.

1. You are computer-literate enough to go to internet and solicit for a class action lawsuit.
    2. You obvious have the ability to be an educated consumer.
    3. When you typed in 1998 Catera problems, you saw over 61,000 hits.
    4. When you scanned the first 6 titles, you saw words like "Worst car ... I have ever....
    5. If you typed in Catera problems, you saw over 100,000 hits.
    6. If you type in Catera, you saw about half a million hits.

7. Somehow, these 600,000 + hits did not give you a clue about potential problems.
    8. OK.
    9. Judge Judy would be proud of you; maybe she has an opening for an intern.
    10. You bought the car used--with what kind of a warranty?
    11. Which dealership did you buy it from?
    12. How much do you hate me?

Not pointing any fingers, man; but someone dropped the ball.
    13. Now I must congratulate you on supporting the economy by attempting to start a class action.
    14. If you win, the plantiffs' attorney will split millions.
    15. You and I will get a non-transferable gift certificate of perhaps $5.00 to be used at any Cadillac dealer on any new Cadillac.
    16. Thank you.

Can we do this again sometime?

2. In the meantime, you buy a Catera. You did not say how much research you did related to the Catera.

Unhappy Re: 2001 Catera

Sarcasm is not appreciated. I am not 3rd owner and I did buy a certified vehicle with the extended warranty which was 72 months or 100,000 miles. So yeah, I paid for my warranty and expected it to cover my car. I just happened to hit the 72 month mark. When I bought my car a majority of these problems were not known or listed. Also, the vehicle was brought in to dealer UNDER WARRANTY with loss of engine power up hills, oil pressure light and oil lights on. Nothing was done by dealer - but add 1/2 qt of oil. Any new suggestions?

Sarcasm?

If you weren't satisfied with the dealer's repair work, you had a duty to find a better dealer and get the repairs done while the vehicle was still under warranty. You failed to do that, and you want GM to fix your problems now...for free?

Do better next time. That's my suggestion.

nerdifiedgeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Sorry but I have to agree with the poster, everyone knows the Catera was a huge mistake, the makers I think showed own up to the car they made. When a Cadillac is rated 2.7/5 on reliability on kelly blue book, something is wrong there. Whether warrantied or not know one would expect such an unreliable car from Cadillac

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Shame on all of you posters for coming down on someone for making a mistake... Have you ever made one? I have... I would hate to be kicked when I was down for it though... I thought SMSS was posting in the "Open letters to Coporate, Talk to Cadillac Executives" section... And if you guys are executives of my brand you should be really ashamed of talking to a certified used owner like that...

SMSS:
    I understand your concerns, and am sorry to hear that you are getting the run around on your problem. Remember cars aren't perfect and neither are car companies.. I believe that even Cadillac has admitted to some mistakes on the Catera.. As a matter of FACT, every used Catera I have ever had my hands on has had problems throughout it's life, and was usually the last vehicle I would sell that family.. I wish you luck, remember you catch more flies with honey (seems like you are being reasonable enough in your post, considering your issues)

My advice is to cut your losses on the Catera.. Find a Model you like and do alot of research befor you buy it... But please don't count GM out because you were unlucky enough to buy a mistake car....

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacricket View Post
    Shame on all of you posters for coming down on someone for making a mistake... Have you ever made one? I have... I would hate to be kicked when I was down for it though... I thought SMSS was posting in the "Open letters to Coporate, Talk to Cadillac Executives" section... And if you guys are executives of my brand you should be really ashamed of talking to a certified used owner like that....

This user bears some responsibility here for not doing his homework. If I'm critical it's because I've been around long enough to see people come here demanding GM fix their defective (third owner) used car for free, "because it's a Cadillac." If your expectations are realistic you get a sympathetic ear. If you're hear with fantastic demands or just to bash on GM/Cadillac you get what you give.

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

This user bears some responsibility here for not doing his homework. If I'm critical it's because I've been around long enough to see people come here demanding GM fix their defective (third owner) used car for free, "because it's a Cadillac." If your expectations are realistic you get a sympathetic ear. If you're hear with fantastic demands or just to bash on GM/Cadillac you get what you give.
    I agree with you, and won't comment further on this thread because I don't want to hijack the post... You may notice in my response to SMSS that I addressed our concerns with a little tact.. It would have helped if SMSS had mentioned that the car was under the CPO warranty.. But no one is perfect..

As I told SMSS, you attract more flies with honey...

Point is that if SMSS really was literally days out of warranty and within the mileage range.. And the car had been in numerous time for the same problem.. I would have to talk to my warranty manager, but I would think GM would cover that..

Again, I agree that sometimes it's insane the damands that people have just because their 10 year old car is "A Cadillac!".. But everyone deserves a chance to voice their opinion...

Good Luck SMSS...

BTW, Was the selling dealer the original dealer? Were service records maintained at that dealer? Have you had a heart to heart with the warranty manager?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacricket View Post
    I agree with you, and won't comment further on this thread because I don't want to hijack the post...
    Good.

Catera owners here love their cars. But if you read through the Catera forum you will see they wouldn't recommend you buy a Catera. That makes a strong statement when people who own the car and LOVE it, steer you away from buying it. Next time do the research before you buy so you don't get surprised. It's a car that needs an owner willing to put up with frequent repairs and the high cost associated with them.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Could be me but I thought the whole point of this forum was to post comments to Cadillac. IMO, the membership has no business getting involved. If the member posted his "issues" in the other open forums, that would be different, but this area is specifically meant for member to corporate communication.
    Rolex,
    As a "super moderator" you should know better.

I had a PM to this but couldn't reply due to not enough posts so I'll answer question here. Cadillac has done absolutely nothing. O.K. Just by word of mouth they have lost numerous sales when people have been told of our experience. Will not buy GM. In fact, just bought 2 hyundai's today as commuter cars. Buying a BMW next week for personal use. Cadillac could have had a repeat customer, not happening now. Problem has been sent to Calif. Bureau of Auto. Repair. They are very interested in this as they say they have had numerous complaints of same type.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    Could be me but I thought the whole point of this forum was to post comments to Cadillac. IMO, the membership has no business getting involved. If the member posted his "issues" in the other open forums, that would be different, but this area is specifically meant for member to corporate communication.
    Rolex,
    As a "super moderator" you should know better.
    I haven't insulted this member in any way. I'm entitled to post my opinion just like every other member here. Get over it.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by smss View Post
    I had a PM to this but couldn't reply due to not enough posts so I'll answer question here. Cadillac has done absolutely nothing. O.K. Just by word of mouth they have lost numerous sales when people have been told of our experience. Will not buy GM. In fact, just bought 2 hyundai's today as commuter cars. Buying a BMW next week for personal use. Cadillac could have had a repeat customer, not happening now. Problem has been sent to Calif. Bureau of Auto. Repair. They are very interested in this as they say they have had numerous complaints of same type.
    That was me that PM'd you. Thanks for finding a way to get back to me. Sorry you had a such problems with your car. Not totally unlike the issues that Cadillac customers dealt with in years past though. You make a valid point that Cadillac realizes all too well. They are still trying to regain respect from the days of:

1. V8-6-4 engines
    2. 350 Diesel engines
    3. HT4100 engines
    4. T440 trans.
    5. Northstar engines
    6. Cimmaron
    7. Catera

And the list goes on.
    PS - Also sorry that you had to get blasted here for using the forum as it's designed to be used.

Insisting a manufacturer fix an out of warranty vehicle always gets you blasted. That anyone would side with such a person defies reason. Just my humble opinion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.