2001 Catera - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Open Letters to Cadillac Corporate Discussion, 2001 Catera in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Rolex Insisting a manufacturer fix an out of warranty vehicle always gets you blasted. That anyone would ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 2001 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Insisting a manufacturer fix an out of warranty vehicle always gets you blasted. That anyone would side with such a person defies reason. Just my humble opinion.
    #1: ANY statement here, made in good-faith, intended for "Cadillac Corporate", should not get you blasted here. That's what this forum is for. Other members should feel free to be "helpful" maybe but to "blast" members simply because you don't agree with them is ridiculous and will only make members less likely to post here. Bottom line, you might as well shut the forum down because members will no longer feel free to voice their opinions if they know they will come under fire from other members.
    #2:If you read his original post, he stated that the dealer sent him on his way while the car WAS still under warranty, then once it was OFF warranty and the car broke-down, they are trying to deny any coverage. I've been in this same exact situation MANY times and at the very least, GM should do a "good-faith" claim for the owner.
    #3: There's NOTHING "humble" about your opinions here.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    #1: ANY statement here, made in good-faith, intended for "Cadillac Corporate", should not get you blasted here. That's what this forum is for.
    Sorry pal but some posts are just too radical not to be called out. And I know full well what this forum is here for. I feel genuinely sorry for the OP's bad luck, but his presentation here is "I'm pissed off at GM ad Cadillac." The dealer screwed him over, not GM or Cadillac. And IMO if he, like many others, had done some research about the Catera he'd have saved himself a lot of heartache. Those cars (especially 2nd and 3rd owner) are a spider's web. The one thing you got right was that the Catera is one of GM's turds. Did they lose respect with that car, sure. Should Gm fix Cateras for free?

Bottom line, you might as well shut the forum down because members will no longer feel free to voice their opinions if they know they will come under fire from other members.
    The beauty of this place is everybody is entitled to post their opinions, experiences, whatever. But remember you leave yourself open to opinion and interpretation by a diverse group of people. It's improbable that every user registered here will always "see it your way." When people disagree with you, they have every right to respectfully post their own opinions. That includes mods, Smods, and Admins. IMO you are out of line trying to reprimand me for posting my opinion. Right or wrong, they're just my opinions.

#2:If you read his original post, he stated that the dealer sent him on his way while the car WAS still under warranty, then once it was OFF warranty and the car broke-down, they are trying to deny any coverage. I've been in this same exact situation MANY times and at the very least, GM should do a "good-faith" claim for the owner.
    One of the universal insults is the idea that I don't know how to read, or you assume that I just didn't read the post. I read a hell of a lot more then I post my friend. If the problem is with the dealer's service department then why swear off GM/Cadillac?

Quote Originally Posted by smss View Post
    At this point I will not even consider a GM vehicle and we need to buy 3 cars in the next 2-3 months in our family.
    Quote Originally Posted by smss View Post
    Cadillac has done absolutely nothing. O.K. Just by word of mouth they have lost numerous sales when people have been told of our experience. Will not buy GM. In fact, just bought 2 hyundai's today as commuter cars. Buying a BMW next week for personal use.
    Gm hatin' on a GM forum.

#3: There's NOTHING "humble" about your opinions here.
    Good to know you're not alone I suppose?
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Richard A. Coyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I too think you are way too harsh.

I too have seen people not take care of problems under warrntee, and push you out the door in the hope it will last a little longer pass the warrntee, and that sounds like what the dealer did.

I too feel that as he had the problem show up and had complaints of the oil problem in time, then they should FINISH the repairs they started with the one QT of oil.

It is on record.

You sound like a imployee of GM and a hard liner too, hope you never have such a problem, you should be treaded as you have treated people here.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Sorry pal but some posts are just too radical not to be called out. And I know full well what this forum is here for. I feel genuinely sorry for the OP's bad luck, but his presentation here is "I'm pissed off at GM ad Cadillac." The dealer screwed him over, not GM or Cadillac. And IMO if he, like many others, had done some research about the Catera he'd have saved himself a lot of heartache. Those cars (especially 2nd and 3rd owner) are a spider's web. The one thing you got right was that the Catera is one of GM's turds. Did they lose respect with that car, sure. Should Gm fix Cateras for free?

The beauty of this place is everybody is entitled to post their opinions, experiences, whatever. But remember you leave yourself open to opinion and interpretation by a diverse group of people. It's improbable that every user registered here will always "see it your way." When people disagree with you, they have every right to respectfully post their own opinions. That includes mods, Smods, and Admins. IMO you are out of line trying to reprimand me for posting my opinion. Right or wrong, they're just my opinions.

One of the universal insults is the idea that I don't know how to read, or you assume that I just didn't read the post. I read a hell of a lot more then I post my friend. If the problem is with the dealer's service department then why swear off GM/Cadillac?

Gm hatin' on a GM forum.

Good to know you're not alone I suppose?

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A. Coyle View Post
    I too think you are way too harsh.

I too have seen people not take care of problems under warrntee, and push you out the door in the hope it will last a little longer pass the warrntee, and that sounds like what the dealer did.

I too feel that as he had the problem show up and had complaints of the oil problem in time, then they should FINISH the repairs they started with the one QT of oil.

It is on record.

You sound like a imployee of GM and a hard liner too, hope you never have such a problem, you should be treaded as you have treated people here.

Rich
    Thanks for your opinion Dick. I probably am too harsh.

I'm not a GM "imployee" and I've owned vehicles in the past that were POS lemons. I've had to deal with rude service people who refuse to fix persistent problems. I've even been pushed out the door with lots of oil and grease on failing parts to keep them from squealing. When that happened I took my vehicle to a different dealer and got better treatment. Problem solved.

I agree that I was hard on the guy, but reading people trashing on Cadillac because they buy a used and well worn Cadillac gets very old. You and I don't know if the dealer pushed this car out the door or not. We only know what the OP tells us, and he's looking for vengeance. Again, IMO the OP could have found a different dealer if he wasn't satisfied with the work done. He admitted to getting a second opinion at an independent shop after the fact, which did him no good.

I give sympathy where I believe it's due. Either way I feel for the OP's poor circumstances, but they weren't caused entirely by GM. YMMV. At any rate I wish the OP the very best with his new vehicles.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Catera Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've had similar issuses with my catera and envoy coming right out of warranty & shortly being out of warranty.
    In both cases I contacted Cadillac and GMC directly and they were super. The Cadillac dealership was driving me crazy, never really fixing the problems and making me return or denying that there was a problem. I called Cadillac directly and they sent me to a different dealership which fixed the problems that I notified them of at that time. Cadillac suggested switching cars & they gave me a $2,500 rebate toward the purchase of a new GM, plus 3 years of oil changes on the new vehicle - the Envoy. I did keep the Catera and sold a 2 door as we needed another 4 door.
    On the Envoy the dealership couldn't duplicate the problems and I had to keep on bringing the suv back when they reoccurred. Sometimes they said that the problem was fixed and then it would reoccur again. Both big and small problems. Anyhow, I called GMC and told them that I had various problems and that my warranty just ended and that the problems haven't been fixed to my satisfaction as they keep on reoccuring. Some seasonal problems, ie. auto car start doesn't work on coldest days, when needed the most. Not possible to duplicate problem in the spring & summer. The rep at GMC took extensive notes and asked how I felt that the situations should be handled. The rep asked if I wanted all parts on the Envoy to be replaced. I said that I would be satisfied if all of the previous problems be noted and if any of those specific problems need fixing they take care of it. For example, the car starter will be looked at again this coming winter and be covered. IF A PART IS REPLACED IT IS COVERED FOR AN ADDITIONAL 6 MONTHS AFTER SERVICE, even if it's after the warranty end date. But I needed it to be covered in 9 months time or longer.
    About going to another dealership for repair, I contacted a closer dealership than the one I go to and they said that since I didn't buy the car from them it would be a 4 to 6 week wait before they would take me in. Otherwise, the next closest dealership is over an hour away, so I'm staying with this dealer for now.

For me, the Cadillac and GMC customer service areas have been very helpful. I found that if you calmly and clearly state what the problem is and tell them what you feel a proper resolution is they'll try their best to rectify the problem. In the case of the thread starter his problem was back in Nov '07, I'm not certain if any of my experience will be helpful at this point, but hopefully for the next person it will.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

For the last fifty or more years I've operated my cars with the assumption that a car six or more years old has no value. If it blows up on the road you take the plates off of it and walk away. Such refugees from the wrecking yard should be left to those that have the skills and facilities to do their own repairs. There are many reliable old cars but like Forrest Gump said; it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. There has to be a reason beyond altruism for somebody, especially a dealer, to offer you a real deal on a "mature" luxury car especially one known to be problematic. It might just be that he wants it off the lot and out of his hair. The meer fact that you bought the car was sufficient proof to him that you were not a sophisticated customer. He wrote you off as a return customer the day you drove it off the lot. You pay your money and take your chances when you go bottom feeding.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.