Looking for reliable shop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The Ontario CTS Club Discussion, Looking for reliable shop in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Hey guys, In the GTA area and I'm looking for a reliable mechanic/shop... my car has shaking issue that I'd ...
    TDotJDizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Looking for reliable shop

Hey guys,

In the GTA area and I'm looking for a reliable mechanic/shop... my car has shaking issue that I'd like to rectify... if anyone could refer me to a good shop it'd help in a large way. Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Re: Looking for reliable shop

You looking for a dealer or just any mechanic? I know some good dealers... And I know who the bad ones are.

Well... I'm looking for someone who has experience working with Caddies, I just always assumed the best place to take it would be to a dealer... but I know it can also be the worst sometimes when it comes to prices, as well as inexperienced ppl working on your car at times... I'm just looking for someone I can trust with my CTS and my money.
    Got a few links?

Nels is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS Supercharged

What problems are you having with you car?

I have 2 problems with the car... first one I think might be a suspension problem, steering wheel/car vibrates whenever I hit a fair bump/pothole in the road... I'm sure it's not warped rotors, as the problem ONLY occurs when I hit a bump/pothole... and makes a jarring sound.

Problem #2 is more serious, I've noticed that at times my car doesn't seem to respond well when I am accelerating, it's kinda weird... I feel a bit of a vibration/whirring sound in the gas pedal sometimes, and it sounds like my car is trying to shift gears or something, but just makes a revving sound like I'm revving it in neutral... when this happens, I can also feel a vibration in the shifter when I put my hand on it. This problem seems to come and go intermittently... sometimes i can feel a response from my car instantly without any feedback from the gas pedal, other times it just seems confused as to what it wants to do... making the revving sound.

Any help you can offer me would be GREATLY appreciated... I appreciate you just responding, period. Thanks

Jay

Nels is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by TDotJDizzle View Post
    I have 2 problems with the car... first one I think might be a suspension problem, steering wheel/car vibrates whenever I hit a fair bump/pothole in the road... I'm sure it's not warped rotors, as the problem ONLY occurs when I hit a bump/pothole... and makes a jarring sound.

Problem #2 is more serious, I've noticed that at times my car doesn't seem to respond well when I am accelerating, it's kinda weird... I feel a bit of a vibration/whirring sound in the gas pedal sometimes, and it sounds like my car is trying to shift gears or something, but just makes a revving sound like I'm revving it in neutral... when this happens, I can also feel a vibration in the shifter when I put my hand on it. This problem seems to come and go intermittently... sometimes i can feel a response from my car instantly without any feedback from the gas pedal, other times it just seems confused as to what it wants to do... making the revving sound.

Any help you can offer me would be GREATLY appreciated... I appreciate you just responding, period. Thanks

Jay
    Jay,

With the first problem most likely I would need to road test the car in order to here/feel the problem.

With the second problem. I need a little more information. Whats the mileage on the car? Also are you the original owner of this car?

Hey Nels,

I just bought the car recently, didn't notice a problem when I bought it 600kms ago... well, I knew about the problem with the shaking, but was willing to get that fixed... second problem is what's bugging me more lately.

The car has 96500km on it, I am the second owner.

LSCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SLK55 AMG / 04 CTS-V

First problem can be quite a few different things from tierods to balljoints or bad wheel bearing which you would have to have examined to determine which it is.

If your saying that the transmission is slipping on your second problem, I would highly recommend a transmssion oil and filter changed first. If the filter is plugged or half plugged it will not let the transmission fluid move the way it should in the transmission and could very easily cause the symptoms that you say. (cost maybe around $100-150 it should be done anyways as regular maint)

Thanks a lot for that info LSCTS... that helps tremendously. I took the car into the dealer today, still covered under warranty for another 22 days so I'm just getting anything and everything that needs to be fixed checked out right now... keeping my fingers crossed, I really enjoy the car... just want it to be problem free and last me at least 2-3 yrs until the price on the 08's drop a bit.

I will let you know what the dealer says!

On a side note, do you know how much it would cost roughly to have those other items you mentioned replaced?
    i.e. tierods, bearings, balljoints... want to know how much money I should be setting aside for these things. Thanks!

LSCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SLK55 AMG / 04 CTS-V

I haven't had to replace any of these on my CTS yet but I have on my Lincoln LS, Ball joint approx $60-80 if you can just press out the ball joint - $250-300 if it comes as a whole assembly(ie steering knuckle I haven't looked at the CTS to see what style it is. --Labour will vary and you definately don't need a dealer to replace these if they aren't covered under warranty any repuable shop can do this.(2-2.5 hours max though) Outer tie rods are probably around 60-80 as well, easy to install as they just thread on. On both jobs you will have to get a wheel alignment done as well as it will through off the geometry of the wheels. Definately check out pricing from places like NAPA and other resellers as OEM parts are usually made by the same people as the ones you find aftermarket.

If it's a bad wheel bearing(typically gives you a growling noise when you drive as well but not always) will be the most expensive guess pricing around $200-300 for the unit and 1.5-2 hours to replace. If you can do your own brakes you can do this job too as they are pretty easy to remove and replace. I replaced a front wheel bearing on my 01 Z28 in about an hour total with hand tools off a jack and I am not a mechanic.

Car's still in the shop, apparently they need to order a new PCM (I'm guessing power control module?) to correct the throttle problem... we'll see how that goes, still feels to me like it's a tranny problem, but as for the wheel shaking... have a feeling it might not be covered under warranty so I am very thankful for you posting those approximate costs, LSCTS... greatly appreciated.

It's been killin' me that I haven't been able to cruise this weekend... been a prisoner in my own home.

Okay, they sent the car to Cadillac and apparently Cadillac said that the PCM would not be covered under warranty as it is electrical... said that a new PCM will cost them $400 bucks to get, which they won't pay out of their pocket.
    What the hell? I don't even know if one of these things really even goes for 400 bucks. Seems like a cash grab to me... I haven't even owned the car for 2 weeks... it's been in the shop for 5 days out of those 2 weeks.

Nightmare.

Just got a call back from the service dept.... they're going to pay for the PCM out of their own pocket.... so relieved.
    Probably looking at a Thursday pickup... hopefully.

Lagos is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a similar problem #1 and also looking for a reliable shop in the GTA. Most recently, I have a humming noise coming from the rear of the car and i am guessing it might be wheel bearing.

Can anyone also recommend a good place via PM?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.