Burnt out Low Beam
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Ontario CTS Club Discussion, Burnt out Low Beam in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Hi= Our 2003 CTS low beam bulb just burnt out. There is moisture on the inside of the lense, should ...
    Doug Vanderhaar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2003 Diamond White

Burnt out Low Beam

Hi= Our 2003 CTS low beam bulb just burnt out. There is moisture on the inside of the lense, should I replace the entire assembly or just the bulb.
    We were able to get at the bulb by removing the air filter box etc.
    I found the bulb on E bay for $109.00 and there are also complete assembles for $300.00. Are there any places in Southern Ontario were I can get the bulb or assembly.
    If the presence of moisture in the assembly is an issue I would rather replace everything.
    The car was the high end Sport model for 2003 and has the HID lights.

Thanks
    Doug V

PS
    I can`t wait to get a 2008 CTS. I tried to get a US car till they closed the door on all cars manufactured after Sept 7, 2007. I will wait till they relax the policy and get a used one.
    My 2002 Z06, toy below imported from Indiana 6000 miles.
    Mosport track in 1;37 on factory tires, what a blast!!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Re: Burnt out Low Beam

Hi Doug,

The moisture could be caused by a couple things. There could be a bad seal or a crack somewhere allowing air to enter the headlight housing, causing condensation.

There are 3 caps on the back and underside of the headlamp housing. Are all of those screwed in correctly? If there is any air getting in from there, it could also cause that problem.

Just to confirm with you, the bulb is a D1S bulb. $109 on eBay should get you 2. The factory temperature is 4300k.

If all the caps are in place properly, I would suggest buying an assembly off eBay for $300. You could try Standard Auto Wreckers in Markham and see if they have it. However, I don't think they'd be cheap. I'd also forget about the dealer since they'll easily charge you close to $1000 for the whole assembly.

If you do buy it off eBay or from a wrecker, just make sure it is the HID one and that the ballast and bulb are both working correctly. In the case that it was a ballast malfunction and not the bulb, you will be safe if you get the whole assembly.

The '08 CTS is an amazing car! Good luck with your hunt! The Z06 looks beautiful too. Oh yea, so does that house!

Jon
    The Ebay item is for two new bulbs and ballast. I will check with a factory GM dissasembler in Michagan first for a complete assembly Monday.

Thanks for the instructions you have on replacing the assembly I found via a google and for starting up Ontario CTS owners web site.

Just added a picture below on how not to exit corner three at Mosport.

The stain won`t come out in the wash!!
    Attached Images

The PLOT THICKENS
    To day after a lot of Internet research on what to replace, bulb or entire headlight assembly I used the car and the head light was working. I turned the car off and canceled the head light assembly order. I started the car again and no low beam drivers side, reordered the headlight while waiting for my wife at subway. Started the car again and played with the head light switch and on came the light again and I could`t get it to fail again.
    Well you know what happened at home when I turned the car off and restarted it, no light till I played with the switch. Now I do know that the day time running light feature failed when the dead bulb first occured and now I have to keep a cover on the sensor to have day < all the lights>time lights on.
    Well if this isn`t turning out to be a bucket of worms, any one have any ideas?

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vanderhaar View Post
    The PLOT THICKENS
    To day after a lot of Internet research on what to replace, bulb or entire headlight assembly I used the car and the head light was working. I turned the car off and canceled the head light assembly order. I started the car again and no low beam drivers side, reordered the headlight while waiting for my wife at subway. Started the car again and played with the head light switch and on came the light again and I could`t get it to fail again.
    Well you know what happened at home when I turned the car off and restarted it, no light till I played with the switch. Now I do know that the day time running light feature failed when the dead bulb first occured and now I have to keep a cover on the sensor to have day < all the lights>time lights on.
    Well if this isn`t turning out to be a bucket of worms, any one have any ideas?
    My suggestion would be to pull the bumper and take the headlight out like this: http://www.jon04ctsv.com/bumper_removal

Swap the ballast from the left to the right. Fiddle around and see if the left or right fails. If the right fails, you've got a ballast problem. If it's still the left, swap the bulbs left to right. If the right fails, it's the bulb. Otherwise, it's a wiring issue somewhere. In that case I don't know what you'd do.

However, that still won't solve your condensation problem. My only advice is, while the headlamp is off, see if you can find any noticeable gaps.

Thanks Jon, your idea sounds good to narrow done the possiblities. In my day we called this TROUBLE SHOOTING

I will tackle the job next week.

PS I couldn`t get the light to work again to day, started to work after 10 miles and fiddling with the switch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.