Winter Wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Ontario CTS Club Discussion, Winter Wheels in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; I'm looking for a set of 16" winter wheels for my 2006 CTS. I've been looking at several tire web ...
    jcdas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6 Black Raven Sport

Winter Wheels

I'm looking for a set of 16" winter wheels for my 2006 CTS.

I've been looking at several tire web sites. Seems to be hard to find 16" aftermarket wheels. I'm looking for 16s as the tires are significantly cheeper than larger sizes, like my 17 sport rims. I'm going to use them for winter tires. Something easy to clean. Save my 17 rims and tires for the summer.

I tried looking for Vauss wheels like on Jon's silver CTS. They look real nice, but I can't find anything on the web. Where did you get yours Jon? Are they available in 16"?

At my local favourite tire dealer Jenson Tire, he has these Advanti S217s for 110 CAD each. Sounds like a good price. Anyone every had problems with this kind of wheel holding a balance?

Thanks.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jon
    Jon is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Re: Winter Wheels

I got the MC2 Vauss wheels online. Unfortunately, they don't sell them anymore since MC2 has closed down.

I think your best bet is to go aftermarket, or hopefully someone has some 16" wheels they don't need. Good luck

slick_cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is my first post. I am down in Windsor. I would check out places that do take offs. I have got rims at a reasonable price from Detroit Wheel & Tire (on Ebay). I actually have my stock 16s for winter and have put 06 Impala SS 18" rims on for summer. I bought the 18s through DTW.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by slick_cts View Post
    This is my first post. I am down in Windsor. I would check out places that do take offs. I have got rims at a reasonable price from Detroit Wheel & Tire (on Ebay). I actually have my stock 16s for winter and have put 06 Impala SS 18" rims on for summer. I bought the 18s through DTW.
    Welcome to the forum!

Got a pic of the CTS with the Impala rims by any chance?

Nels is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS Supercharged

Give these guys a try. I've shoped there for years and never left empty handed. The prices are amazing.

http://www.wheeledge.com/cheapthrills/index.php

Hi Nelson.
    I called them last week, but they said they didn't have anything. I'll try again in tomorrow. Maybe they have something in the same size from something else. I kind of like the 1995 Impala SS wheel look.

The one wheel I showed on this post looks not bad to me. It's easy to clean being all silver powder coat, instead of being machined and polished.

rhatje is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

cheap thrills is a horrible place

Finally got some wheels.

It took me a while before I got through to someone at Cheap Thrills. They didn't have what I wanted. Nothing in stock.

I went to my local tire dealer, who got some wheels in. The salesman said they were 5x115. Tires were mounted and balanced, and then they were having trouble getting the wheels on. Finally I checked, and they were the wrong size. 5x114.3. Some folks use them, but I've heard a lot of complaints about balance problems. First lug tightened sets the wheel off centre, unless you have some concentric ring. The wheels needed special lug nuts, so the stock wheel wrench wouldn't fit. At the last minute, I declined and left. Sorry folks. I had a VW once that was impossible to keep wheels balanced. Take a wheel off for a brake job, and it would need to be re-balanced on the car. Computer balancing would NOT work. That was a while ago, and might not be a problem now, but I want a nice ride in my CTS.

A set of stock 16" painted wheels with low KM RS-As came up on Ebay in Brampton. I won the bid at $610. Picked them up tonight. Seem to have about the same tread left as my 17" RS-As at 17,000KM. Went for a ride, and they seem perfect. In balance. Hard to tell with one short ride, but I think the 16" combo rides just a bit softer than the 17s, despite the Sport suspension package.

So all in all, I think I did OK.

I'll try the RS-As this winter, and see how they work out. If they turn out to be crap, I'll get some winter tires later. At least I can keep my fancier 17" wheels out of the salt.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jcdas View Post
    Finally got some wheels.

It took me a while before I got through to someone at Cheap Thrills. They didn't have what I wanted. Nothing in stock.

I went to my local tire dealer, who got some wheels in. The salesman said they were 5x115. Tires were mounted and balanced, and then they were having trouble getting the wheels on. Finally I checked, and they were the wrong size. 5x114.3. Some folks use them, but I've heard a lot of complaints about balance problems. First lug tightened sets the wheel off centre, unless you have some concentric ring. The wheels needed special lug nuts, so the stock wheel wrench wouldn't fit. At the last minute, I declined and left. Sorry folks. I had a VW once that was impossible to keep wheels balanced. Take a wheel off for a brake job, and it would need to be re-balanced on the car. Computer balancing would NOT work. That was a while ago, and might not be a problem now, but I want a nice ride in my CTS.

A set of stock 16" painted wheels with low KM RS-As came up on Ebay in Brampton. I won the bid at $610. Picked them up tonight. Seem to have about the same tread left as my 17" RS-As at 17,000KM. Went for a ride, and they seem perfect. In balance. Hard to tell with one short ride, but I think the 16" combo rides just a bit softer than the 17s, despite the Sport suspension package.

So all in all, I think I did OK.

I'll try the RS-As this winter, and see how they work out. If they turn out to be crap, I'll get some winter tires later. At least I can keep my fancier 17" wheels out of the salt.
    Sounds pretty good!

I think you'll be fine with the RS-As for winter. I did it with the CTS in 2004/2005 winter in Waterloo. There were days where the snow on the ground was about a foot tall. Just let the tail slide if it has to. The biggest problem is taking off. The traction control is very preventive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.