Installed intake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Installed intake in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey, I just installed that intake my cousin gave to me, it looks nice, but after installing it I noticed ...
    97greendeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Base

Installed intake

Hey, I just installed that intake my cousin gave to me, it looks nice, but after installing it I noticed that my engine compartment needs to be cleaned out. You guys may not believe it but my 97 deville has got a little better throttle response. Have you ever looked at that stock box?? A tiny little hole is the only air inlet. If you guys have any questions just throw at me. I can give you the guy he bought it from. Also is there anything I have to watch out for when washing out the engine compartment?
    Buck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Installed intake

Don't drown the coils, ICM or the alternator. You might have to blow out the plug wells if too much water gets in them and it starts missing. Personally, I was never too careful.

Regarding the air box, our old Guru (a GM powertrain engineer) told us that the intake was designed to deliver all the air that the Northstar needs at WOT. If you stop and think about it, why would they build a world class performance engine and restrict its output by something as simple as restricting the intake opening.

CandyRedDHS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): I had an 01 White Diamond DHS and a 00 Base deville

I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip. He says it feels WAY! faster than stock, and that they haven't messed with any computer so far after having it on 6 months.So i plan on doing most of the same except for air filter(i'm going k and n)...I know ranger is very very very knowledgeable (don't know if i spelled that right) when it comes to the northstar or any cadillac. But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.

pimpincaddystyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

why would you have bosch platinum plugs in a caddy for? thats hurts me

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedDHS View Post
    I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip. He says it feels WAY! faster than stock, and that they haven't messed with any computer so far after having it on 6 months.So i plan on doing most of the same except for air filter(i'm going k and n)...I know ranger is very very very knowledgeable (don't know if i spelled that right) when it comes to the northstar or any cadillac. But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.
    And the farmer hauled another load away.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I see your point ranger, it is a class leading engine, but there are always alternatives, and new technology is coming out every day. My car is a 1997 and I am sure that the filter designs and intakes now are better than before. In 1997 it had the best parts, but even then, they have to make the equipment as quiet as possible, which results in loss of power.
    Does the old guru ever come on anymore? It'd be interesting to learn new stuff from him. I am going to get into engineering after hs , work for GM.
    Are bosch plugs bad or something??? I have seen a prototype chip, but none for the deville, they are too expensive for the little horsepower. All I want to do to my car is new mufflers and fix some bumps and bruises the car has.

Buck

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

....I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,....
    Get the Hooker part# for those headers.
    .... But if a northstar was really tuned to the max at factory people wouldn't make leagal aftermarket parts that show improved hp/tq.
    Do you mean "claim to show" improved hp/tq?

They claim more than they show, but there is improvement.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 97greendeville View Post
    I see your point ranger, it is a class leading engine, but there are always alternatives, and new technology is coming out every day. My car is a 1997 and I am sure that the filter designs and intakes now are better than before. In 1997 it had the best parts, but even then, they have to make the equipment as quiet as possible, which results in loss of power.
    Does the old guru ever come on anymore? It'd be interesting to learn new stuff from him. I am going to get into engineering after hs , work for GM.
    Are bosch plugs bad or something??? I have seen a prototype chip, but none for the deville, they are too expensive for the little horsepower. All I want to do to my car is new mufflers and fix some bumps and bruises the car has.

Buck
    I have seen him once in a while under a different name, but he remains anonymous now.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    And the farmer hauled another load away.
    That made me laugh out loud. I love it when I go to the parts store and people actually buy some of this crap... Especially the BS bosch plugs. I think in the near future, I will market a new spark plug with six instead of four and sell them for fifteen dollars each.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

I am going to put an intake on mine to.I seen a lac like mine wit a volant intake,hooker headers,bosche titanium 4 spark plugs,corsa exhaust,took off speedlimiter, and put new chip.

I don't mean to sound like an a**hole, but do you have any idea what you talking about?

Hooker does not make exhaust headers for the N*. No one does, unless you count a jig that you fabricate a set on by yourself. If it's a Deville '96 or older there is no "Chip" and you can't remove the governor. I just hate it when people start spouting things they've heard from people who claim to have done things that are impossible, and have people believe them. I have no doubt that with a little finesse you might be able to get one of their block hugger headers to kinda fit, but no one manufactures stock replacement exhaust headers for these cars.

yes hook does make custom headers for some extra $$$ i've called about them already and the governor chip can easily be removed from the mechanic i go to for 112 bucks(he's been working on Cadillacs for more than 20 years and thats the place where the dealer i bought my car from sends theirs.)Said there should be no computer error and the hp/tq gains were on a dyno.plus it was chip made by fastchips.the gain with all the things wasn't all that much but better than stock.It was 24hp gain and a 16tq gain.

and the bosche help prevent misfire(supposedly)

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

and the bosche help prevent misfire(supposedly)
    What are you talking about?

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

ROFL
    there is no hack to remove the speed limiter...
    i smell....
    BULLSH*T

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.